Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:17:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Edinburgh Fringe 2020

Started by Timothy, January 28, 2020, 10:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I should probably clarify that my earlier comment wasn't aimed at the Free Fringe or venues like The Stand or Monkey Barrel, who have been the best in terms of allowing performers to put on a show without bankrupting themselves and simultaneously keeping ticket prices low for punters.

dissolute ocelot

Does anyone know if the likes of Underbelly, Pleasance, and the other big comedy operators are really raking it in at the Edinburgh Fringe, or see it as more of a prestige thing to publicise their other more lucrative operations? Because this is obviously going to determine if they continue: Gilded Balloon is based in Edinburgh but a lot of the major operators are up from England, and Underbelly are having other wars with the city over their winter festival.

JCR

I can't see even a small fringe  happening, there'd have to be radical changes between now and August for people to want to sit in Edinburgh type venues with hundreds of others. Especially given a lot of the festivals non tourist audience are middle age and middle class and are likely to be highly concerned about Covid19.

Even if you got the council's okay to do it, how do you sell enough tickets?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: JCR on April 19, 2020, 04:55:09 AM
I can't see even a small fringe  happening, there'd have to be radical changes between now and August for people to want to sit in Edinburgh type venues with hundreds of others. Especially given a lot of the festivals non tourist audience are middle age and middle class and are likely to be highly concerned about Covid19.

Even if you got the council's okay to do it, how do you sell enough tickets?

And in the coming years, how many punters (outside Edinburgh) will be able to afford the Festival experience when this lockdown is relaxed? It's expensive enough as it is, forking out for the digs/hotel, the travel, the tickets, the eating out, the boozing, the woolens..,etc.  Who'll have the wonga?

DrGreggles

Jordan Brookes' last show will be on Soho Theatre OnDemand from Wednesday.