Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:10:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nicholas Parsons Time Runs Out

Started by Tony Tony Tony, January 28, 2020, 11:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

Bad Ambassador

Bennett Brauer

One of my favourite moments, him trying to keep it together with Arthur Haynes and Wendy Richard losing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJEcyTtvrcI

idunnosomename

Operation without hesitation repetition or deviation: what do they have planned for JaM?

Guest presenters? They wont end it. Radio 4 is too completely ossified to change itself despite being old and staid

lankyguy95

That's sad news. So mentally agile and quick well into his mid-90s. Great career.

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 28, 2020, 12:05:48 PM
Operation without hesitation repetition or deviation: what do they have planned for JaM?

Guest presenters? They wont end it. Radio 4 is too completely ossified to change itself despite being old and staid
Gyles Brandreth hosted a couple of times recently when Parsons was ill so I would guess he'll take over.

ajsmith2

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 28, 2020, 12:05:48 PM

Surely permanent guest Paul Merton is just gonna move sideways to the lead spot he's been hovering over vulture like for years now? I could be wrong, but I always assumed that was the plan.

idunnosomename

Yeah Giles possibly. But would be very hollow. I dont think Merton would want to do it. Hes too good at the game. He might get a payrise though as hes the longest serving voice of the show now

Norton Canes

idunnosomename

UGH LOONEY LEFT BEEB WILL REPLACE NICHOLAS PARSONS WITH A BIG MINGE THAT WONT LET YOU MAKE RUDE JOKES

Jittlebags

Quote from: metaltax on January 28, 2020, 12:35:22 PM
Toksvig

"It's the daring, dazzling, death defyingly dull, devastatingly dangerous, delectable, delicatessen-able, divinely decadent Just a Minute!"

Glebe

Aw. Rest in Peace, mate.

Aren't we a bunch of fuckwits?

neveragain

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 28, 2020, 12:13:14 PM
Surely permanent guest Paul Merton is just gonna move sideways to the lead spot he's been hovering over vulture like for years now? I could be wrong, but I always assumed that was the plan.

He enjoys rambling on too much to be stuck in the presenter's chair.

But anyway yes RIP.

Keebleman

I remember going to see Hannah and her Sisters in the days when all films were preceded by a short.  On that occasion the short was a travelogue about the Greek islands written, directed by and starring - in multiple roles! - Nicholas Parsons.  I can confidently state, without risk of hesitation, repetition or deviation, that it was absolutely bloody awful.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: neveragain on January 28, 2020, 03:16:48 PM
He enjoys rambling on too much to be stuck in the presenter's chair.

But anyway yes RIP.

Also, the dynamic is better is the presenter takes it seriously and the contestants are unruly. A teacher and student type thing.

trabuch

There is a fairly comprehensive archive here - he did a lot:

http://www.bennewsam.co.uk/JAM.html

Mobius

He's started so he'll finish (living)

Petey Pate

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 28, 2020, 09:31:27 PM

Barry Cryer told the same story on one of Richard Herring's podcasts. The guy enthusing about Richard Pryor was Ross Noble.

R.I.P. Mr Parsons

Shaky

lankyguy95

Lovely article from Jenny Eclair https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/nicholas-parsons-death-just-a-minute-comedy-bbc-radio-a9306756.html

Also briefly mentions an episode of rudeness from Clement Freud. Probably the worst thing he ever did.

idunnosomename

'kin hell

QuoteThe other panellists on that occasion were Derek Nimmo, Peter Jones and Clement Freud. Clement was difficult, he complained vociferously that I stank of "fags" and wouldn't stand next to me for the local photographer.

it really is a damn for the BBC how they have kept JaM going but totally airbrushed the fucking paedophile who was on it until he died right out of the retrospectives

Psmith

I only ever listened to it for Kenneth Williams.Nicholas was completely out of his depth with him.
Peter Jones was good too,not too bothered whether he won or not and with a dry wit.
I'm surprised to see it's still going.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on January 28, 2020, 07:09:13 PM
Also, the dynamic is better is the presenter takes it seriously and the contestants are unruly. A teacher and student type thing.

Parsons took it with the degree of seriousness it deserved (benefit of the doubt and bonus points for amusing interruptions etc). It was Freud and later Brandreth who really took it seriously. It definitely needs a balance of degrees of seriousness.

derek stitt

Pam Ayers has just posted a very warm hearted poem/tribute  dedicated to Nicolas Parsons on Twitter. It's proper lovely.

Bobtoo

I'm probably one of the few people who has heard Parsons swear.

He was Rector of St Andrews University in the early 90s and took part in an improvised comedy show. All the other performers were effing and jeffing freely and eventually Parsons managed a 'piss off'. You could tell it was proper swearing for him, he looked like a naughty schoolboy after he said it.

I worked in the student residence where he was staying and he came across a a good egg.