Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:54:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Confit Potatoes

Started by Jittlebags, January 28, 2020, 09:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jittlebags

Anyone had a go ? Very slow cooked apparantly.

These's a mega version here that take overnight to make, and has a severe risk of you ending up in A&E on account of the mandolin.

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/confit-potatoes-recipe

They do look nice though.

seepage

Michael Winner used to bang on about them, I mean to go the Chop House to try them for myself.

Jittlebags

Quote from: seepage on January 28, 2020, 09:24:22 PM
Michael Winner used to bang on about them, I mean to go the Chop House to try them for myself.

I presume his were generously dressed in chef's special sauce.

idunnosomename

that looks like some Mr Kipling bullshit

Shit Good Nose

First saw James Martin do them on something like What's That? It Tastes Shite, or some proto Saturday Kitchen type show in the very early 90s.  Even though I can't remember exactly what show it was, that segment left quite an impression on me (admittedly probably because it was the first time I'd seen a chef's mandolin, several years before Rick Stein nearly took his finger off with one).

Amazingly, despite having several recipes for them, I've never tried them.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

They look fucking silly. Bin.

dissolute ocelot

mandoline=cheffy finger-shredder cooking device
mandolin=medieval finger-shredder musical instrument

It's not fucking hard. Unlike my confit potatoes.

Bonus content: a couple of weeks ago, Yotam had a recipe for mushrooms slow-cooked in half a bottle of olive oil, which sounded pretty darn nice.

idunnosomename

captain corelli's magimix with slicer attachment

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

pancreas

Doesn't deserve its own thread, but I've been reading the Rowley Leigh recipes in the FT recently. Gorgeous unpretentious English, simple food and important tips on how to get it right. Pancreas gives FIVE STARS.

idunnosomename

ive been eating those croissants you get in a big bag from Aldi

pancreas

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 30, 2020, 01:12:09 PM
ive been eating those croissants you get in a big bag from Aldi

While fucking tins of spam.

GP. Now.

Emma Raducanu

I once confited something

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Glebe

Blue Jam

Ever tried making hasselback potatoes? They're up there with fougasse in the "looks impressive but actually a piece of piss to make" stakes. They're like a cross between roast potatoes and baked potatoes, tasty but still vaguely healthy. Job's a good 'un

bgmnts

Quote from: Endicott on January 30, 2020, 08:14:56 PM

They're Tater Tots now.

AMERICAN NAMES FOR BRITISH FOODS. FUCK OFF JOHNY FORRINER

Gurke and Hare

No tater tots are different - they're like little hash browns. Croquettes are mash in breadcrumbs.

seepage

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 31, 2020, 06:33:32 PM
Ever tried making hasselback potatoes? They're up there with fougasse in the "looks impressive but actually a piece of piss to make" stakes. They're like a cross between roast potatoes and baked potatoes, tasty but still vaguely healthy. Job's a good 'un

'The Ninth' in London does good ones. The restaurant, considering it's got a Michelin star, is reasonable price-wise and not up its arse.

Emma Raducanu

Where I am, it's all about hash browns these days. They're all charging £3.50 for a side order of hash browns which consist of someone squashing grated potato in their hand and throwing them in a fryer.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 31, 2020, 06:33:32 PM

Do you have a good recipe for these please? Impressive looking but deceptively simple is right up my street.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Brian Freeze on January 31, 2020, 07:43:01 PM
Do you have a good recipe for these please? Impressive looking but deceptively simple is right up my street.

1. Get a baking potato.
2. Shove a skewer through the bottom.
3. Make a series of cuts, letting the skewer stop you going all the way through. Remove the skewer.
4. Drizzle in oil and sprinkle with any flavourings you feel like adding- dried herbs, paprika, cheese, bacon bits etc.
5. Bake for 45 minutes, by which time the slices should have fanned out. Open the oven and baste the potatoes in oil before baking for a further 45 minutes.

Aternatively do steps 1-3, put the potatoes in the microwave for ten minutes and then add flavourings and oil and finish them off in the oven for 30 minutes

It's basically posh student cooking, you can't go wrong.

idunnosomename

1) open bag of aldi croissants
2) eat croissant
*optional* put clip on bag to maintain freshness
3) go back to bed and cry and about your shitty life
4) remember croissant and eat it

Cuellar

God I hate potatoes. In pretty much any form except chips. Horrible bland rubbish.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Cuellar on January 31, 2020, 08:30:40 PM
God I hate potatoes. In pretty much any form except chips. Horrible bland rubbish.

It's one of the most versatile foodstuffs in the world you melt.

Cuellar

It can taste like cardboard and sand in hundreds of ways yes