Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:54:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Confit Potatoes

Started by Jittlebags, January 28, 2020, 09:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on January 31, 2020, 08:30:40 PM
God I hate potatoes. In pretty much any form except chips. Horrible bland rubbish.

I can't trust people who don't like mash.

Icehaven

Cuellar

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 31, 2020, 08:57:06 PM
I can't trust people who don't like mash.

Mash is 100% the worst form of potato.

idunnosomename

you are banned from entering lincolnshire

Blue Jam

Potatoes are amazing you freak

Cuellar

Cuellar

Fuck this, fuck this whole thing I'm out

idunnosomename

Quote from: Cuellar on January 31, 2020, 09:23:06 PM

i know it is not the biggest sanction going. it's not even on the way to anywhere

idunnosomename

CON-FIT POTAYTOES

CAUSE THEY AINT GOT NO BONES

shiftwork2

Quote from: Cuellar on January 31, 2020, 09:02:17 PM
Mash is 100% the worst form of potato.

I thought this for decades until one day I embraced mash.  It's just the best and you don't know it yet.  But, like jazz and gardening, mash is waiting for you in your future with an avuncular smile and it'll be kind to you even though you have spited it.  Heavenly mash.

Cuellar

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 31, 2020, 09:52:30 PM
I thought this for decades until one day I embraced mash.  It's just the best and you don't know it yet.  But, like jazz and gardening, mash is waiting for you in your future with an avuncular smile and it'll be kind to you even though you have spited it.  Heavenly mash.

I haven't cooked or eaten mash for about 12 years

idunnosomename

Cuellar

Imagine going to all the effort of making mash why not just chuck them straight in the bin

Sebastian Cobb

Which part of making mash tires you out the most? The 20 minutes of simmering or the 20 seconds of mashing?

Dewt

I see you're leaving out peeling and washing

You should be in politics mate

Blue Jam

My Potato Top 3:

3. Maris Piper. Not the most flavoursome but they make lovely smooth mash and they get a lovely glassy crust when roasted. Unbeatable as far as roasties are concerned.

2. Charlotte. Waxy and earthy and rich. Bit of olive oil and parmesan, nice. Also nice with a bit of oil and rosemary as a roast potato crush. Skins on, obviously.

1. Anya. Exclusive to Sainsbury's, knobbly, earthy and savoury as fuck. Just boil 'em, nothing more required.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on January 31, 2020, 11:05:28 PM
I see you're leaving out peeling and washing

You should be in politics mate

Don't need to wash if they're supermarket ones and you're peeling.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: DolphinFace on January 31, 2020, 07:32:15 PM
Where I am, it's all about hash browns these days. They're all charging £3.50 for a side order of hash browns which consist of someone squashing grated potato in their hand and throwing them in a fryer.

And they're never as good as the frozen ones you get at a greasy spoon.

pancreas

I agree with Cuellar.

Mashed potato is a substance for thickening cream. Bit of salt and pepper and you could just use a mixture of thicker cream and butter.

Shepherd's Pie? They only gave it to you for school dinners to sap your individuality.

Boiled potatoes. Christ. There had better be some fucking great dressing if you want me to get those down. And even then, I might allow myself off having to send down one or two bits at the end.

Jacket potatoes. Burnt tasting crumbly tasteless shite with a slab of margarine on it and then you top it with a load of un-reduced un-buttered baked beans, you absolute phlegm.

Gnocchi. Better made with ricotta.

Chips. Sure. Drizzled artfully with a mixture of okonomiyaki sauce and kewpie mayonnaise

Roast potatoes. I consider these to be large chips. Hours are spent making them crisp for them to be smashed apart in gravy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fuck mash, strewth. Food cloud.

Hi I'm British I prefer my food to be a dense bland clag of pile. Please just piping bag it into my enzymes like a turd-filled pterodactyl and have done with it.

seepage

Endicott

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 01, 2020, 08:04:52 AM
Fuck mash, strewth. Food cloud.

Hi I'm British I prefer my food to be a dense bland clag of pile. Please just piping bag it into my enzymes like a turd-filled pterodactyl and have done with it.

Of course the French clag it up even more by turning it into Pommes Aligot.

Fascinating that it's now considered edgy to dis mash.

Cuellar

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 31, 2020, 10:41:02 PM
Which part of making mash tires you out the most? The 20 minutes of simmering or the 20 seconds of mashing?

This just confirms everything. With 20 seconds of mashing you're going to end up with the shittest 'mash' ever. Lumpy and half-arsed. If that's what you mean by mash you can keep it. I will never eat mash again.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Cuellar on February 01, 2020, 11:15:48 AM
This just confirms everything. With 20 seconds of mashing you're going to end up with the shittest 'mash' ever. Lumpy and half-arsed. If that's what you mean by mash you can keep it. I will never eat mash again.

maybe the problem is you have a rubbish potato masher.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: pancreas on February 01, 2020, 07:56:53 AM
Mashed potato is a substance for thickening cream. Bit of salt and pepper and you could just use a mixture of thicker cream and butter.

ahh yes, that famous british staple; bangers and cream.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Blue Jam

I bet pancreas makes mash with a ricer.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 01, 2020, 11:18:52 AM
maybe the problem is you have a rubbish potato masher.

My potato masher is a bit like this one:

Different handle, but looks the same at the business end. Note the circular holes. Doesn't look like anything special but it's a beast that will reduce any spud to the smoothest mash.

Masher design is important. Those ones that are basically a squiggle on a stick can get fucked.

Sebastian Cobb

Same. Metal definitely makes a difference.

I've been told to keep an eye out for one of these when they're cheap on prime day or whatever:

I'm not interested in their mash capability, as a good masher is fine. But it seems handy for doing boring stuff like whisking or making bechamel, which isn't hard but is really fucking boring.