Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 08:15:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Confit Potatoes

Started by Jittlebags, January 28, 2020, 09:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 01, 2020, 12:11:15 PM
I've been told to keep an eye out for one of these when they're cheap on prime day or whatever:

I'm not interested in their mash capability, as a good masher is fine. But it seems handy for doing boring stuff like whisking or making bechamel, which isn't hard but is really fucking boring.

Ooooh, I'm in the market for a hand blender, mainly for making curry pastes, and that looks like a smart bit of kit. Added to the wish list, cheers.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 01, 2020, 12:18:34 PM
Ooooh, I'm in the market for a hand blender, mainly for making curry pastes, and that looks like a smart bit of kit. Added to the wish list, cheers.

The best thing for curry pastes is a mini chopper rather than a hand blender (which can be a bit of a pain for chunky things like big sticks of ginger or chilli). They work better than food processors for the amount of a paste as they're smaller and don't fling everything up the sides.

e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-CH180A-Mini-Chopper-White/dp/B0000C6WPC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=mini%2Bchopper&qid=1580560172&sr=8-3&th=1

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 31, 2020, 11:34:08 PM
Don't need to wash if they're supermarket ones and you're peeling.

I don't even peel them any more, makes no difference to me.

Gurke and Hare

You make skin-on mash? What kind of fucking barbarian are you?

That said, I'm contemplating making hotpot with sweet potato this weekend.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on February 01, 2020, 01:19:22 PM
You make skin-on mash? What kind of fucking barbarian are you?

Yep, it doesn't bother me and I actually make mash now - hadn't for years as I couldn't be bothered with the peeling.

Brian Freeze

Another skin on masher here, have to declag your tool occasionally tbough.

chveik

Quote from: Cuellar on January 31, 2020, 10:19:01 PM
I haven't cooked or eaten mash for about 12 years

state of this cunt

willpurry

Quote from: Brian Freeze on February 01, 2020, 02:20:43 PM

I think I'll, er, declag my tool right now.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I now declare this to be Potatogate.

pancreas

They are earth weeds. Need another blight.

Jerusalem artichokes.

Salsify.

Parsnips poached in butter.

Celeriac.

These are all improvements.

Pdine

Quote from: seepage on January 28, 2020, 09:24:22 PM
Michael Winner used to bang on about them, I mean to go the Chop House to try them for myself.

He died in the January of the year they say they invented them, so they sound quite dangerous.

Blue Jam

Jerusalem artichokes are very tasty (crunchy, smoky potatoes? OM NOM NOM) but they have serious effects. Shame.

Celeriac (and celery) can get in the fucking bin.

Emma Raducanu

My favourite mash is 0.5 carrot, 0.3 parsnip, 0.2 potato, with half the weight in butter and cream again. Lots of peeling. The trick is to drink lots of beer while peeling and listen to the Radio Dept.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Brian Freeze on February 01, 2020, 02:20:43 PM

Blue Jam

I do all hope you have one of these:

These things can cock off:

bgmnts

I have the former but they are really shit. Mulling over getting the latter.

chveik

the latter is much more practical

stop getting potatoes wrong!

Blue Jam

Pffft, either you're all cackhanded or just mental.

gilbertharding

If it doesn't have orange string wrapped around the handle, it isn't a potato peeler sorry, bye.

idunnosomename

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 01, 2020, 10:42:32 PM
If it doesn't have orange string wrapped around the handle, it isn't a potato peeler sorry, bye.
make britain great again

Dex Sawash

When I make mash, I just brush them with oil and bake the fuckers. Cut them long ways after and scoop out the innards and make the mash.. You're left with nice crisp skins to make stuffed skins with the leftover mash.

seepage

Cuntbeaks

Make Britain Gratin Again

NattyDread 2

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 01, 2020, 10:22:34 PM
I do all hope you have one of these:

Hate those cunts. Check out this beauty. No red string, but it's braw -

I've seriously considered using that as a sgian dubh.

That said, I've also got into leaving the skins on for mash occasionally. They're not that noticeable texture wise but make the mash taste far more tattie-ey. Also adds more vitamins too probably, but that's beside the point.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on February 02, 2020, 08:40:07 PM
That said, I've also got into leaving the skins on for mash occasionally. They're not that noticeable texture wise but make the mash taste far more tattie-ey. Also adds more vitamins too probably, but that's beside the point.

I'm not sure about this, new potatoes are my least favorite spud and I think it might be the ratio of skin to tattie; they taste like soil.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 31, 2020, 06:33:32 PM
Ever tried making hasselback potatoes? They're up there with fougasse in the "looks impressive but actually a piece of piss to make" stakes. They're like a cross between roast potatoes and baked potatoes, tasty but still vaguely healthy. Job's a good 'un

Thanks for the recipe for these Blue Jam,.

50% of us thought they were delicious and looked very impressive too, the other two werent right fussed about them. I'd definitely make them again and they have the option of either being grateful or handing them over. Ta.