Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:55:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kentucky Route Zero is finally finished

Started by Thursday, January 29, 2020, 11:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Act 5 out, along with a Switch release.

I don't have the words to do this game justice, but take this thread as a reminder for anyone who was a fan and had forgotten.

peanutbutter

Liked Act I, but mostly because it felt like something that could grow into something great. Then II and III delivered on that really fucking well and I was super excited.
Think IV took two years to come out and they said V would be out within 12 months so I held off, and off, and finally tried playing it a couple of months ago only to find the slow pace rollout of the text utterly insufferable to get through.

Maybe I'll be in the right mood to play it some time in the future, I dunno though...

madhair60

What is it, what kind of game. Describe the gameplay

madhair60

Jerzy Bondov

peanutbutter

Quote from: madhair60 on January 30, 2020, 08:57:39 AM
What is it, what kind of game. Describe the gameplay
Kentucky Route Zero is a point and click game and contains text-based dialogue instead of vocal audio. There are no traditional puzzles or challenges, with the focus of the game being storytelling and atmosphere. The player controls Conway by clicking on the screen, either to guide him to another location, or interact with other characters and objects. The player also has the choice to choose Conway's dialogue, and occasionally the dialogue of other characters, during in-game conversations. The game is separated into various locations, which Conway can travel between using his truck. A map is shown when traveling on the road, and the player must guide the truck icon to the destination of their choosing, mostly areas where the player has been pointed or sent out to. At certain points, the player may take control of characters other than Conway within the game's twisting, self-referential narrative.[1]

Did I have to type all that though? This is a thread for part 5 so you'd assume it's for people who've played the game...

Dewt

Quote from: peanutbutter on February 03, 2020, 12:30:34 PM
Kentucky Route Zero is a point and click game and contains text-based dialogue instead of vocal audio. There are no traditional puzzles or challenges, with the focus of the game being storytelling and atmosphere. The player controls Conway by clicking on the screen, either to guide him to another location, or interact with other characters and objects. The player also has the choice to choose Conway's dialogue, and occasionally the dialogue of other characters, during in-game conversations. The game is separated into various locations, which Conway can travel between using his truck. A map is shown when traveling on the road, and the player must guide the truck icon to the destination of their choosing, mostly areas where the player has been pointed or sent out to. At certain points, the player may take control of characters other than Conway within the game's twisting, self-referential narrative. hipster monkey island

Thursday

Well that's not fair, but also completely true.

Dewt

It wasn't a judgement on the game (I haven't played it) but seemed like good snark

madhair60

Quote from: peanutbutter on February 03, 2020, 12:30:34 PM
Did I have to type all that though? This is a thread for part 5 so you'd assume it's for people who've played the game...

It says it's finally finished, which would be a good time to jump on, no?

Mister Six

Aye, the previous parts came out when the dinosaurs were coding for the Atari 2600 and it's dropped off the radar since then, so it's fair to assume newbies wouldn't know what it is.

But it's also fair to JUST GOOGLE IT YOU CAAAAAHHHNTS.

Now it's been finished I'll finally buy it, I reckon. I hopped off after chapter 1 on the basis that I'd rather sink into the whole thing, since it's so atmospheric. Then it looked like it was never going to get done so I gave up on it. Pleased that it's finally come to fruition.

Space ghost

Sounds a bit like "Nightbreed" on the Amiga.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on February 04, 2020, 07:24:41 PM
Aye, the previous parts came out when the dinosaurs were coding for the Atari 2600 and it's dropped off the radar since then, so it's fair to assume newbies wouldn't know what it is.

But it's also fair to JUST GOOGLE IT YOU CAAAAAHHHNTS.

I know how to use Google I just thought it might be interesting to HAVE AN ACTUAL DISCUSSION ON A DISCUSSION FORUM. That's why you're SIX and I'm SIXTY

Anyway it turns out I somehow already own this. Bye