Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:47:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People Who Are Gay Who You Think Shouldn't Be Gay

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 30, 2020, 10:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Richard Wattis Wilson.
I know he dresses flamboyantly offstage and all that  but just looks double bluffingly like he should be gay  but he isn't, but actually he *is*. I just get the impression he shouldn't be gay, like a reverse Patrick Stewart.
Once a year, I always have to google, just to check that he's gay.

Another winning thread, I reckon.

madhair60

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I don't mean this thread to be contentious or owt, I genuinely have that niggling feeling about Richard Wilson.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

That gay woman who plays Eve's boss on " The Killing Eve Show" is a bit of a borderline case, I reckon.

paruses

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 30, 2020, 10:24:14 AM
I don't mean this thread to be contentious or owt, I genuinely have that niggling feeling about Richard Wilson.

That he's pretending?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I don't know...It's like if one of the Goodies were gay   it just wouldn't seem right, somehow.

Shaky

Has Wilson's gayness always been fairly well known? I only found out about a year ago.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Imagine if Jack Klugman had been gay. I'm convinced that wouldn't have worked.

Barry Admin

Why, because you're a bigot with narrow definitions of what gay people should look, act and dress like?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Possibly.
It's so inconvenient that all homosexuals don't walk around dressed like and acting like Dick Emery's Honky Tonk character, it just makes life difficult for everyone else.

It's actually quite difficult to express what I really mean. Maybe this post should have remained one of my half asleep on the metro thoughts.

The news story posted on here horrifies me.

hamfist

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 30, 2020, 10:48:20 AM

Yep, me too. I think body image "culture" regardless of whether it's gay men, straight men, teenage girls, teenage boys - whatever - is just awful. There are things you can change about your body and things you can't change. Should never be any pressure to look a certain way.

I think your premise for this thread can be applied to all kinds of things though, the "gay" focus could somewhat piss people off.

• People who work in IT who you think shouldn't work in IT
  • People who are vegans who you think shouldn't be vegans
  • People who own dogs who you think shouldn't own dogs
  • la la la la la

Barry Admin

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 30, 2020, 10:48:20 AM
Possibly.
It's so inconvenient that all homosexuals don't walk around dressed like and acting like Dick Emery's Honky Tonk character, it just makes life difficult for everyone else.

It's actually quite difficult to express what I really mean. Maybe this post should have remained one of my half asleep on the metro thoughts.

It horrifies you that some folks think gay people should look a certain way?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah  broadening out the theme of the thread seems like a good idea. Eventually it could lead to a GiF of Nelson Muntz thoroughly enjoying a performance of " Moon River" by Andy Williams.

hamfist

Northern ex-miners who cry at the opera - we can reduce this to any stereotype breakers - and that's good, it shows how wrong stereotypes are.

Butchers Blind

Maybe everyone should wear big badges like the ones 5 year olds wear on their birthday, letting people know their sexuality,  "I AM GAY" yeah?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

All in all, I think I should have opted for the real-life example of Stephen Fry being a big fan of " Loveless" era My Bloody Valentine, instead.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 30, 2020, 11:08:05 AM
Maybe everyone should wear big badges like the ones 5 year olds wear on their birthday, letting people know their sexuality,  "I AM GAY" yeah?

That would mean it would look like everyone was gay. That'd be confusing, too.

I liked the "yeah?" at the end of that post.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 30, 2020, 11:08:05 AM
haha you just said you are gay!!!

Not that theres anything wrong with being gay

evilcommiedictator

At least one of the two men I was watching having intercourse shouldn't be gay

Blumf

According to Archbishop Glenn Davies, all of them.

Jerzy Bondov

I didn't know that Richard Wilson is gay. He can be gay if he likes; I don't mind. That's me though - I just call it as I see it and take everyone on their own merits. I don't care if you're black, brown, yellow, purple, LGBTQRSTUP or a poofter or anything. That's why I just don't understand racism. It's just crazy to me.

Blumf

Had the pleasure of meeting homophobia at a charity do once. It was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

Pseudopath

I don't think David Starkey should be gay. Not because I'm jealous or I fancy him or anything. I just don't think he deserves any form of happiness.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Richard Wilson can't be gay, straight or anything in between. He's old.

No hanky panky for the elderly!

Just wikipedia'd Wilson out of idle curiosity as I didn't know he was gay...I was more surprised to find out he's SCOTTISH! What the fuck? that makes no sense, he's like the quintessential well-spoken grumpy old Englishman. Not even like born there and moved to England as a child, seemed to have spent a fair bit of time there. Why the accent then? Did he acquire while among all the toffs at RADA? I genuinely found that more jaw-dropping.

Also, apparently he was cast as the court physician of Camelot, "Gaius", in that BBC show Merlin, so it was under our noses all along

pancreas

Shoulders shouldn't be gay, but what can you do?

thenoise

He was dressed up in very convincing 'straight-face' in OFITG - poor dress sense and posture, no interest in fashion or drugs or musical theatre, didn't understand women and enjoy bitching about heterosexual men with them, didn't go to any chemsex parties or meet up with strangers on Hampstead Heath for anonymous sexual encounters, etc.

In fact, it was a pretty stereotypical performance, borderline offensive even. But they were different times, I suppose.