Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:01:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bird song

Started by bgmnts, January 30, 2020, 01:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I know bird song is meant to be beautiful, the lone nightingile warbling outside your house, a pure disney moment. In reality, though, its a pure Jeremy Kyle shoutfest. Every morning outside my house is surely at least a dozen winged cunts squawking manically at each other in the trees.

What are they so angry about? Are they threatening each other? Is it just them being a bit leary?

Mr_Simnock

Apparently when birds are nearer built up areas they have to chirp\squawk louder due to the noise us lot make. Most of it is announcing their presence to possible mates and or competitors for food and territory.

P.S. you are dead inside

jobotic

Yeah - keep off my goddam property or ladies check this out. One or the other.

My firend in brighton gets really wound up by seagulls shouting at each other. I love 'em, they're wonderfully hysterical.

idunnosomename

it doesnt really have much of a tune. just sounds like they're making up any old rubbish as they go along. fucking dumb boids

bgmnts

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 30, 2020, 01:56:58 PM
Apparently when birds are nearer built up areas they have to chirp\squawk louder due to the noise us lot make. Most of it is announcing their presence to possible mates and or competitors for food and territory.

P.S. you are dead inside

Sounds plausible although this is a dead quiet residential area with the only noise being the occasional pissed up slanging match. Just wish they'd take their shouting elsewhere.

chveik

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 30, 2020, 02:01:17 PM
it doesnt really have much of a tune. just sounds like they're making up any old rubbish as they go along.

is that a quote from Miles Davis' autobiography?

Gurke and Hare

This morning I walked past a robin sitting in a tree was blaring out its delightful song of agression. It's amazing something so small can be so loud.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Captain Z on January 30, 2020, 09:00:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNcUPje_0hk

Quote from: YouTube comments
ENOCH WAS RIGHT 6 months ago
I played this to my girlfriend's parrot 🐦 she wasn't impressed
😆 😆 😆

alan nagsworth

That's not even the fucking parrot emoji, ENOCH WAS RIGHT. Fucks sake.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

As far as I know, bird conversation goes thusly:

Pigeon: Fuck off
Sparrow: Fuck off
Robin: Fuck off
Chaffinch: Get fucked

If you want a human equivalent, it's people shouting "bollocks" in festival campsites.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteApparently when birds are nearer built up areas they have to chirp\squawk louder due to the noise us lot make

We've all been to Spoons, RIGHT YOU GUYS?

bgmnts

A Wetherspoon actually sounds like a bird.

I've got this friend whose voice sounds like the shrieking of a giant kestrel. A terrible ear-shattering screech. Doesn't matter what he's saying, or who he's talking to, it's just awful. Unbearable.

Of course it's fine now, he hasn't spoken to me for nearly 20 years, but if he ever makes that noise again I will stop hanging about with him, and he knows that.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

BlodwynPig

Love the dawn chorus echoing in the otherwise still morning air.

Nothing beats that.

BlodwynPig

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Kryton

Bird song helps the grass grow. I think.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I like the little ones, because they tend to make warbly tuneful noises, but what is point of pigeon? Coo coo coo, coo coo.
Bird grave.

idunnosomename

you didn't get wild collared doves in britain before the 20th century so if you hear them in a period drama be sure to loudly complain about it

beanheadmcginty

I always assumed they were nature's dial-up modems.

Emma Raducanu

I love a good murmuration sweeping across a sunset sky, all together filling the sky with their mystical, dreamy dance.

But if I find a bird chattering to itself in my garden, I'll batter it.

Lord Mandrake

Starlings and robins and blue tits all good but magpies set off my PTSD.

idunnosomename

blackbirds are as good as nightingales

Brian Freeze

Timely comment about blackbirds,  I came here to post about one we heard at dusk tonight. Just flitting about on someones guttering and gently crooning a beautifully melodic epic of immense complexity. Id have stood and listened for ages but we had to be in for our tea.

idunnosomename

i mean my above comment is just referencing the Look Around You episode about music which I find amusing because it's so dismissive.

but blackbirds are capable of so much invention and variation in their phrases. very much the free jazz cunts of the boids.

Nevertheless, the bbc had an early thing where a cellist would duet with nightingales, which went on into WW2
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35861899

song thrushes are cool too because they tend to do every phrase twice in succession, which does make them fun to jam with

Quote from: Robert Browning, Home-Thoughts, from AbroadThat's the wise thrush; he sings each song twice over,
Lest you should think he never could recapture
The first fine careless rapture!

Brian Freeze

We really enjoyed those Nightingale recordings and the story behind them,  ta very much.

What do you reckon to the theory that birdsong is inherently relaxing to humans (unless its a distress call) because it generally signifies a lack of predators in the vicinity and so on a subconscious level we can chillout knowing that when the birds go quiet, then its time to watch out?