Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Late Night Alternative with Iain Lee - Talk Radio 10pm - 1am

Started by Big Mclargehuge, January 30, 2020, 01:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mclargehuge

Couldn't see a thread for this so I thought I'd start one, This has been a staple of my evenings now for the last 3-4 years. I usually have it on in the background but it's gentle and nice to drift in and out of while I'm working on other things. I like the tone of the show and how it jumps between unfunny callers trying to be funny (The ted chippington effect), quite emotional pieces and angry arguments. I think the only thing missing from it really is the ability to say Fuck (If they could do that I think it'd resolve about 90% of the calls in 30 seconds or less)

While some of the regulars are a bit 1 dimensional in terms of their schtick I do admit to having a soft spot for Nigel from Maidstone and Alan Caddick. I also LOVE some of the music choices played throughout with everything from "Pete Rodriguez" to "Tony Ferrino".

Ive heard quite recently that the show may be ending in a couple of months due to Talk Radio rebranding but I just wanted to see if anyone else on here listens to this?

Puce Moment

This isn't very useful but my brother keeps telling me to listen to Lee's show, and he recounted a fascinating story of Lee basically keeping a suicidal guy on the phone until someone found him. Sounds fascinating. I have a lot of time for Lee so I know I should take some time to listen to this!

Big Mclargehuge

Quote from: Puce Moment on January 30, 2020, 02:29:50 PM
This isn't very useful but my brother keeps telling me to listen to Lee's show, and he recounted a fascinating story of Lee basically keeping a suicidal guy on the phone until someone found him. Sounds fascinating. I have a lot of time for Lee so I know I should take some time to listen to this!

Yeh thats the thing with this show, for the most part it's very mild absurdism crossed with the kind of weirdo's who linger around calling late night shows on radio stations. But every so often theres some absolute gold mixed in. I listened to that Suicide episode live and it was totally gripping, theres loads of weird bits and bobs that have been dotted about in the past too...like a 25 minute arguement over where stone henge begins and ends that went very "Stewart Lee" for a while and odd moments where he'll hook too callers up together and just watch the confusion unfold. it can be a bit spotty after midnight (Though weirdly thats the time the show kind of comes into it's own) It could maybe be seen as a bit twee at times but those Heartfelt moments are just fantastic :)