Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Cowboy Bebop (space cowboy cartoon show from Japan)

Started by Jerzy Bondov, January 30, 2020, 04:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

I just noticed last night that they've got the complete series of Cowboy Bebop on All4. Never seen it so I started watching it.

Good isn't it?

Dewt

Yep. It is pretty amazing.

Really smart of them to do a live-action remake made by Americans. No honestly that's a brilliant idea. I bet it will be great.

bgmnts

Yeah its very good. Probably THE anime for people who arent otaku weebs.

BlodwynPig

Jerzy Bondov

VelourSpirit

So good. The atmosphere is so good. Really melancholic kind of feeling. I've only heard the English dub but that voice cast is so iconic I couldn't imagine it any other way.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's better than good; it's blinkin' good!

I first saw it many years ago, on short lived animation channel CNX and it instantly became essential viewing for me and my friends (ditto Adult Swim stuff like Space Ghost and Sealab 2021). It's just an irresistible mix of elements that add up to an overall ace show. I remember Firefly being compared to it a lot, but, as much as I liked that, it wasn't nearly as good.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 30, 2020, 04:58:10 PM
Probably THE anime for people who arent otaku weebs.
Indeed. Faye's costume is about the only thing that I imagine could lead anime skeptics to dismiss it.

Quote from: Dewt on January 30, 2020, 04:53:09 PM
Really smart of them to do a live-action remake made by Americans. No honestly that's a brilliant idea. I bet it will be great.
I'm not particularly enthusiastic about it, but I've nothing against the idea in principle. The original is awash with American cultural influence anyway. John Cho is an unexpected choice to play Spike (not because of race, but because he's nearly 50 - they even had to stop making it because he broke his hip, or something). My choice would have been Joseph Gordon Levitt.

Dewt

American cultural influence through a Japanese lens in the 90s is a million miles from Americans remaking a thing for money in 2020 though. For a start they'll have to discard anything approaching artistry.

Sebastian Cobb

I really liked it. So much I bought the dvds only to find they were a dodgy copy with japlish subtitles.

bgmnts

For anyone interested, this is a cool video from the same mentalist who did the 4 hour Metal Gear Solid 4 vid:

https://youtu.be/-8-GrO25zBQ

C_Larence

I wonder if they have the version with the good sound effects or the bad ones. I've not read into it much, or if I have I've forgotten it, but there are definitely a couple versions out there. I have the good one on my computer which someone posted on reddit, although this was years ago so i'm sure it's been taken down, but my blu ray version has completely different, and in my opinion, worse sound effects.

Anyway, as everyone has said it's great. Once you've finished that check out Samurai Champloo, created by the same guy, and with another great story and soundtrack. Steve Blum (Spike's VA) returns too.

Sin Agog

There's a weird thing I've noticed in about 92.8% of anime series, and Cowboy Bebop demonstrates it to perfection.  They'll all start off fairly lighthearted and goofy, but come the end they get heavy as a death in the family.  It's crazy the amount that follow this formula.

letsgobrian

And once you've watched Samurai Champloo, watch pseudo-sequel to Cowboy Bebop, Space Dandy.

If Spike's a guy who thinks he's cool and the show agrees with him, Dandy's a guy whose show strongly disagrees with his self image.

And it's the only show whose ending theme is being sung to E from Eels dad.

The closest in tone from Bebop is the Cowboy Andy episode, though it's the animal liberation terrorist episode where a Space Dandy first appears.

Sin Agog

Yeah, Space Dandy's really fun.  There's some properly inspired sci-fi writing beneath the Johnny Bravo in Space exterior.  Plus some of the animation just leaves me gaping in awe- usually the trippier and more lysergic the plotline gets, the better the animation is.

Mister Six

Was it Space Dandy that had an episode that ended with everyone being turned into zombies? I thought that was a hoot but for some reason never got around to watching the others.

Might look up the Cowboy Bebop OSTs again. They were ridiculously good. Yoko Kanno is a genius.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mister Six on February 07, 2020, 06:05:23 PM
Was it Space Dandy that had an episode that ended with everyone being turned into zombies? I thought that was a hoot but for some reason never got around to watching the others.
Probably. Shinichiro Watanabe likes to do an episode in the middle of each of his series in which all the characters die at the end.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 08, 2020, 01:23:28 AM
Probably. Shinichiro Watanabe likes to do an episode in the middle of each of his series in which all the characters die at the end.

It is Space Dandy. Though this is episode 4 of a 26 episode run, not midway through.

The ending theme alludes to why such drastic changes happen to the status quo each week, but it wasn't translated during its airing...