Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:00:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghost in the Shell - SAC 2045

Started by Alberon, January 30, 2020, 05:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

I was going to put this in the Cowboy Bebop thread, but it deserves one of its own.

Netflix has funded a revival of the Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex series. But the trailers for it have been divisive at best. Gone is the traditional animation and in is CG. Now computer graphics can be good - I've nothing against them in principle, but... well just look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HK_l9NHBw4

Looks like a fucking PS2 cutscene, and the less said about the specially written song that kicks in a minute in the better.

chveik

Dex Sawash

Mister Six

Shit Good Nose

A mate sent me a similar vid a few weeks ago, which DIDN'T have the Netflix branding (and wasn't from Netflix's channel), and I honestly thought it was one of those fan-made wishful thinking/taking the piss by taunting other fans vids.  At no point did I imagine it could be real.  Fucking hell.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I couldn't care less how it's animated, as long as it's good overall.

Does this mean Netflix will get the old GitS as well? I've long heard that Stand Alone Complex is really, really good, but have been too lazy to seek it out. I like the films, even if the English dubs are verbose as fuck. I was lucky enough to see the second one at the cinema.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 31, 2020, 02:58:52 PM
Does this mean Netflix will get the old GitS as well? I've long heard that Stand Alone Complex is really, really good, but have been too lazy to seek it out. I like the films, even if the English dubs are verbose as fuck. I was lucky enough to see the second one at the cinema.

Some (but not all) of the SACs were on there when we first joined up but, alas, they were removed before I had a chance to see more than a few episodes.  They may well come back though - stuff always seems to do the rounds between all of the major streaming platforms.

There is a two part stand-alone (as opposed to Stand Alone) feature on there at the moment called Arise, which is in the list but I haven't watched it yet.  It's had all positive reactions though.

Also, Netflix always has the original Japanese audio with English subs.  That was one of the things I didn't like about Amazon Prime, that they only had the shitty dubs on there, but that may well have changed since I cancelled our subscription.

Consignia

Netflix has this weird obsession with CG animations, and Japan have really had trouble producing decent looking CG. It always looks cheap and choppy. So there's been a speight of shit looking "Netfilx Anime Originals" been spunked on to the platform. Some of the stuff has been alright (as in serviceablly enjoyable, but certainly not great), but it all looks wank. Saint Seiya being a notable recent offender.

Blumf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 31, 2020, 02:58:52 PM

First season is good, second bit meh.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 31, 2020, 03:35:48 PM
There is a two part stand-alone (as opposed to Stand Alone) feature on there at the moment called Arise, which is in the list but I haven't watched it yet.  It's had all positive reactions though.

There's actually five parts, but for some reason Netflix only has the first two.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell:_Arise#Films

They're not too bad. Didn't really feel the need to have a Section 9 origin story though.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Consignia on January 31, 2020, 03:44:40 PM
Netflix has this weird obsession with CG animations, and Japan have really had trouble producing decent looking CG. It always looks cheap and choppy. So there's been a speight of shit looking "Netfilx Anime Originals" been spunked on to the platform. Some of the stuff has been alright (as in serviceablly enjoyable, but certainly not great), but it all looks wank. Saint Seiya being a notable recent offender.

In their defence, though, they do put absolutely LOADS of old anime on there as well, although that may just fall in with the large amount of stuff from all over the world they've got on there (more than any other global streaming service when I last checked) - I guess it's a lot cheaper than American stuff.  Nollywood seems to be the popular pick at the moment.

Quote from: Blumf on January 31, 2020, 03:47:49 PM
There's actually five parts, but for some reason Netflix only has the first two.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell:_Arise#Films

They're not too bad. Didn't really feel the need to have a Section 9 origin story though.

Glad I haven't watched them yet then - would've hated to get to the end of part 2 and find out there were three more to watch...

Dewt

Phew I was worried the remake would have some artistry to it

Sin Agog

Quote from: Consignia on January 31, 2020, 03:44:40 PM

There's a totally egregious documentary on Netflix purporting to be about the history of anime, when really it's someone who's only just discovered the concept visiting various 'Netflix Originals' content creators and blowing vape smoke up their backsides.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

eh, I watched the live action film, I'll probably watch this too.

Spiteface

I couldn't care less how it's animated, as long as it's good overall.

Does this mean Netflix will get the old GitS as well? I've long heard that Stand Alone Complex is really, really good, but have been too lazy to seek it out.
It came out on Bluray last year. I personally love it. If you don't want to commit to two entire seasons of it, there are edited-dowm movies based around the main arc of each one.
"The Laughing Man" is the "1st GIG" and "Individual Eleven" is "2nd GIG" then a third, "Solid State Society" is a series finale.
The only "Netflix Original" anime I have watched have been Devilman Crybaby and the Ultraman anime based on the manga sequel to the 1966 series. Both quite good, actually.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Highly recommend 1st Gig, 2nd Gig and Solid State Society. We get some nice backstory on the Major in 2nd Gig. Decent arcs with nice standalone eps too. Robot Police solving Internet crimes p much.

Spiteface

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on February 01, 2020, 11:38:31 AM
Highly recommend 1st Gig, 2nd Gig and Solid State Society. We get some nice backstory on the Major in 2nd Gig. Decent arcs with nice standalone eps too. Robot Police solving Internet crimes p much.

Yeah, it's Ghost in the Shell as a cop show, essentially.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Spiteface on February 01, 2020, 05:57:42 PM
Yeah, it's Ghost in the Shell as a cop show, essentially.

Specifically The Professionals, which Masamune Shirow is a fan of.

Aramaki is Cowley, Batou is Bodie, Togusa is Doyle.

Mister Six

How many of these things are there and in what order should they be watched? I've never even seen one ghost in a shell.

popcorn

I was never a big anime guy and it took me about four viewings (over the course of 20 years) to appreciate the original GITS film. Even then I find it a bit of a slog.

I gave up on SAC after half an episode, but oh my the music! Half of it's Bjork rip-offs but they're good ones.

Alberon

Quote from: Mister Six on February 02, 2020, 02:11:40 AM
How many of these things are there and in what order should they be watched? I've never even seen one ghost in a shell.

There's at least two continuities.

The original film and its sequel Innocence is one. The two series of SAC and the film Solid State Society is a second. The Arise series and its film could be a prequel to SAC but I can't remember if there are differences that put it in its own continuity. 

This new series is assumed to be a sequel to SAC, but could be separate again.

In short, stick to production order and you won't go wrong.

Mister Six

Alberon

This has been released now on Netflix.

I'm managing to ignore the CG animation and burnt through the first three in quick succession (though without the opening and closing credits it's only 20 minutes an episode). The actual story so far seems good so as long as that keeps up I'll do my best to look past the plasticy dolls awkwardly moving through a PS2 cutscene.

The Tachikomas are still exactly the same though (but then I think they were always CGI) so that's one good thing.

buzby

Quote from: Alberon on April 27, 2020, 11:50:58 PM
The Tachikomas are still exactly the same though (but then I think they were always CGI) so that's one good thing.
Yes, they were cel-shaded 3D models to reduce the workload of having to draw the animations. They were very well done and integrated with the hand animation though.

Thay have been redesigned for the new series though, and the cel-shading has gone in favour of standard ray tracing.

Dewt

It's a fucking cut scene what the fuck is wrong with their brains

Alberon

I'll tell you one thing worse than the animation - the opening theme song.

Holy Jesus it's bad.

Spiteface

About 4 or 5 episodes in.

This is like the most generic thing they thought they could get away with and still slap the GitS name on it.

Capt.Midnight

You'd think Netflix, with their acres of cash, could fund a proper animation studio to do this justice. I get that it's super expensive, but 80s / 90s era anime is now in a different league aesthetically then anything done since.

Consignia

Netflix has a real bonk on for CGI animation, but for some reason are throwing all that money at Japanese studios who can't do CGI for toffee. Most of the "Netflix Original Anime" [nb]although they apply that label to everything they have international broadcast right to, the actual originals are more a smaller number[/nb] is CGI and look's dog's arse. There's no artistic reason Hi-Score Girl needs to be 3D, unless you buy that nonsense about have accurate looking arcade cabinets. The art style arbitrarily applied to CGI drops into uncanny valley in a way you wouldn't imagine cartoons could go.