Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:41:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghost in the Shell - SAC 2045

Started by Alberon, January 30, 2020, 05:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Quote from: Consignia on April 29, 2020, 07:01:01 PM
Netflix has a real bonk on for CGI animation, but for some reason are throwing all that money at Japanese studios who can't do CGI for toffee. Most of the "Netflix Original Anime" [nb]although they apply that label to everything they have international broadcast right to, the actual originals are more a smaller number[/nb] is CGI and look's dog's arse. There's no artistic reason Hi-Score Girl needs to be 3D, unless you buy that nonsense about have accurate looking arcade cabinets. The art style arbitrarily applied to CGI drops into uncanny valley in a way you wouldn't imagine cartoons could go.
It's cheaper innit

chveik

Mister Six

Does Netflix solely back these things? Isn't it like Better Call Saul, where they co-fund with a local network in exchange for global distribution rights? And if so, how much say do they actually have over the content?

Consignia

Quote from: Mister Six on April 29, 2020, 09:14:09 PM
Does Netflix solely back these things? Isn't it like Better Call Saul, where they co-fund with a local network in exchange for global distribution rights? And if so, how much say do they actually have over the content?

Japanese animation is largely funded by committee, so TV networks will put money to get it on there network, toy manufactures put money to get toys rights, music labels put money to get their acts to theme tunes. Some of these Netflix just put a bit money to get global streaming rights, and it'll still air on TV, e.g. Teasing Master Takagi-san which aired on Tokyo MX, etc. with only it appearing globally on Netflix (and cruically streaming months after the TV broadcast). But there are other proper Netflix exclusives like this and Saint Seiya and Cagaster of an Insect Cage which Netflix put a lot of money behind and stream exclusively on Netflix, even in Japan. They may not exclusively be backed by Netflix, there's probably still some music labels involved most of the time, but they almost always side track the broadcasters.

And yeah, it does buy a lot of creative direction. Which is why a lot of them are Sci-Fi, which harks back to the 80's/90's hardcore animation vibe they want.

Alberon

Theres a long history of Western involvement in Ghost in the Shell series I suppose. The original film has a lot of British funding in it, for example.

Consignia

Yeah and the original Standalone Complex had Manga, a British company, on the production committee.

Foreign investment is all over anime production these days. A significant income comes from China, just like they bank roll a lot of hollywood.

Mister Six

samadriel

There's no artistic reason Hi-Score Girl needs to be 3D, unless you buy that nonsense about have accurate looking arcade cabinets. The art style arbitrarily applied to CGI drops into uncanny valley in a way you wouldn't imagine cartoons could go.

Is Hi Score Girl 3d though? It looks like everyday 2d animation, and quite good, at that. If they can make cgi look like HSG, I'm totally comfortable with it.

buzby

Netflix has a real bonk on for CGI animation, but for some reason are throwing all that money at Japanese studios who can't do CGI for toffee. Most of the "Netflix Original Anime" [nb]although they apply that label to everything they have international broadcast right to, the actual originals are more a smaller number[/nb] is CGI and look's dog's arse. There's no artistic reason Hi-Score Girl needs to be 3D, unless you buy that nonsense about have accurate looking arcade cabinets. The art style arbitrarily applied to CGI drops into uncanny valley in a way you wouldn't imagine cartoons could go.
Isn't Hi Score Girl one of those that Netflix only have streaming rights to? It was broadcast on Tokyo MX first too before Netflix Japan got it, and Warner Brothers Japan have the rights for physical DVD/BD releases.
Quote from: samadriel on April 29, 2020, 11:27:06 PM
Is Hi Score Girl 3d though? It looks like everyday 2d animation, and quite good, at that. If they can make cgi look like HSG, I'm totally comfortable with it.
It uses Cel-shaded 3D models, like the original Tachikomas were I posted earier in the thread. It looks like they drop frames in the character rendering process to make it look like traditional 'animated on twos' cel animation too. It's not done anywhere near as well as the Tachikomas were though.

Athough it's credited as a J.C. Staff production, they seem to have only been involved in overall supervision and producing 2D background art, with the CG animation production outsourced to SMDE, who then subcontracted the 3D character modelling and animation to 16 other studios. They did at least use real-life pro gamers playing the games I suppose.

Apparently it was originally going to be traditional 2D animation, but "the producers convinced the director Yoshiki Yamakawa and original manga creator Rensuke Oshikiri that 3D would be "best for the characters."" (i.e. it was going to save them a lot of time and money).

Consignia

Quote from: buzby on April 30, 2020, 11:10:53 AM
Isn't Hi Score Girl one of those that Netflix only have streaming rights to? It was broadcast on Tokyo MX first too before Netflix Japan got it, and Warner Brothers Japan have the rights for physical DVD/BD releases.

You're right, although I'm not sure if Netflix was on the production committee for any of it. The fact the they got home video exclusives not long after they were released makes me suspect. I'll try and dig that info out.

letsgobrian

In general I'd only assume Netflix were heavily involved when a show is day & date with Japan and the US (i.e. things like Devilman Crybaby, Dino Girl Gauko, Aggretsuko). This is because a true co-production triggers higher SAG dubbing fees, compared to dubbing something that's already aired in a foreign country. I suspect avoiding that cost is part of the reason for delays on translating shows that have next-day Netflix releases in Japan like the +ultra shows (Beastars, BNA, Drifting Dragons etc).