Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:00:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Return to Y'Hup: The World of Ivor Cutler

Started by coinneach, January 30, 2020, 07:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coinneach

Launch for an Ivor Cutler tribute album last night at the royal concert hall

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jan/30/return-yhup-world-ivor-cutler-review-glasgow

Anyone else go to it or got the album? I really enjoyed it personal favourite bits of the evening -

- Stuart Murdochs performance, bit of a Belle & Sebastian fanboy so was always going to like whatever he did

- 'Women of the World' performed by the entire ensemble

- Pictish Trail - didn't realise he was there that was a nice surprise

- Someone, can't remember who, told a nice anecdote which included a spot on impression of meeting him at a Virgin megastore, wish there had been a bit more of that sort of thing

Would be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone more into Cutler, I'm relatively new to his stuff but love it

bakabaka

Like many of his fans, I was introduced to the wonder that was Ivor Cutler by the John Peel show in the 70's. I would occasionally go on a hunt for more of his work, but before the internet it wasn't easy and I only ended up with his most well-known works. There must be a discog somewhere...

But most of all thanks coinneach for starting this thread. It made me follow the links in the article you linked to which has led to finding a whole swathe of Cutler I'd not heard before on youtube. My evening is sorted and my grinning has started. Happy happy happy happy.

Flouncer

It's been many years since I listened to any Cutler - I discovered him through his appearance on Robert Wyatt's album Rock Bottom. I got a couple of his albums on the strength of that; I think one of them was called Ludo... I'd like to give him another listen so if anyone familiar with his work could give me a few album recommendations that would be great.

famethrowa

I don't know why, but Step It Out Lively Boys is the pinnacle for me. What is it? Why does it exist?? Marvellous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj91BcSsbCI

axel

Nothing much to add to the thread apart from the fact that i went through a period about 15 years ago of listening to loads of Ivor Cutler. Think an article in 'Plan B' music magazine about him.
Had pretty much forgotten about him until last year when Gideon Coe started playing a few songs on his 6 music programme, then Gazelle Twin & Lone Taxidermist did a lovely version of 'Woman of the World' to finish their tour off last year.

Quote from: Flouncer on January 31, 2020, 01:46:37 AM
It's been many years since I listened to any Cutler - I discovered him through his appearance on Robert Wyatt's album Rock Bottom. I got a couple of his albums on the strength of that; I think one of them was called Ludo... I'd like to give him another listen so if anyone familiar with his work could give me a few album recommendations that would be great.

An Elpee and Two Epees
is a good one (compilation of his first LP and first two EPs). Ludo is a bit of an exception musically, then more of the same sort of thing for Dandruff, Velvet Donkey and Jammy Smears. I got all four for £5 in Fopp (£20 in total) and listened to them over a period of time when I got home.

poodlefaker

A couple of excellent recent covers of Ivor Cutler tracks: James Yorkston's version of "Little Black Buzzer", and Max Andrzejewski's Hütte's version of "Grass".

Can't be arsed to find links, soz.

jobotic

Only own the Velvet Donkey album, the already mentioned Little Black Buzzer is great, but Sleepy Old Snake is one of the loveliest songs ever recorded.

wosl

Love a bit of Ivor, but the emphasis is on 'bit'.  I've got Velvey Donket and Dandruff and they seem to fit the bill when I want a little drop; I've no real urge to acquire the other albums.  Interesting and winning chap, though, both in and out of character.  It was always nice when he popped up on Peel's show.  I remember an interview he once did on Andy Kershaw's radio show, with Kershaw doing an extensive, glowing preamble, which took some time and which led into his first question to Ivor, which was about when his upcoming tour was to begin.  Loooonnngg pause.  "May."  The brevity of that response seemed to surprise and shake them both, and after that it was a pretty standard back-and-forth, with Ivor sometimes becoming quite loquacious.

NattyDread 2

He's something else. I got into him when there was a concert broadcast on the telly a while back and started getting the records. A while later I'm at the in-laws and find some signed albums and books. Turns out the Dad In-Law put on an Ivor gig in Belfast and had him stay at theirs. Apparently (after a day trudging round the city trying to score a harmonium) he expected nobody to turn up, only for the queue to be round the block. Probably got Peel to thank for that one.

I still treasure my 'Thank You, You Lovely Postman' sticker. I really should put it on our postbox though.