Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:17:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird and wonderful compilations and mixtapes

Started by alan nagsworth, January 30, 2020, 10:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Hoping to coax Kane Jones out of the woodwork with this. That dude knows his fuckin' stuff.

ALRIGHT NO INTRODUCTION, STRAIGHT INTO THE GOOD SHIT!

Fire Star: Synth-Pop & Electro-Funk From Tamil Films 1984-1989

I stumbled upon this once when the gorgeous cover art turned up on a totally unrelated image search. I had no idea that it would end up becoming a truly beloved collection of music. Western synth pop and disco had a big influence on Indian music around this time, especially in films, and Ilaiyaraaja compiles some of his favourites here, alongside three of his own songs. It's fucking wonderful. I've never played this in the company of friends without them wanting to know what it is.

Full compilation here.. If you want a track teaser, Pattu Engey is sickly sweet electro-funk perfection. One of those tracks you could drop in the middle of a house set and make people lose their minds. Those fuckin' harmonies in the second half, my days what a SCORCHER.

Andy Votel - Hindi Horrorcore From The Bollywood Bloodbath

In a similar vein, I copped this in a record shop once and knew it would be my shit. A 50-minute mix of Hindi horror music soundtrack stuff. Loads of fun. I'm unfamiliar with Votel's other mixes so if there's any particular bangers I should check then please post!

Full mix here.

Planetary Pebbles: Surfbeat Behind The Iron Curtain

What can I say that these titles already don't? Well, I'll say this, hands cupped around my mouth like Tim Heidecker's On Cinema opening credit: THIS IS GREAT MUSIC! Far from a novelty, the stuff on this comp is sufficiently rare (although a little misleading, as around half the tracks were recorded in non-Communist countries) and hey I think we can probably all agree that surf is the most consistently banging genre of music ever made, can't we? Get the fuck in.

Full compilation here.

The Gaslamp Killer - HELL And The LAKE OF FIRE Are Waiting For YOU!

An absolutely corking mix that flits around between wonky crunked-out instrumental hip hop, blues-heavy psych rock and contemporary dubstep circa 2007. "Big mood", as they're saying on Instagram these days.

I'd never heard of this chap when I discovered this disc upon its release and there's no tracklist on the fucker (I was sold on the cover art) but my pals and I were extremely pleased when I brought it home and realised it sat right in line with what we were listening to a lot of at the time. Apparently this thing is limited to 1000 copies but there's a lot of them for sale on Discogs for very cheap so who knows?

Full mix here.

Right then. Come on my selector!

holyzombiejesus

Not sure how 'weird' or obscure this one is but it's definitely one of the best compilations I've bought in years. Homemade disco and eerie electronic dancey stuff and this. There's a lovely naivety to some of the music on this.

non capisco

^YES!! Love 'Don't Challenge Me' by Makers, always thought it sounds like the sort of thing R2-D2 would put on in the background if he was trying it on with a lass robot. 'All About Money' by Spontaneous Overthrow off that is also mint. As is 'Starship Commander Wooooo Woooo' by, well would you credit it, Starship Commander Wooooo Wooooo.

alan nagsworth

Woo, thanks for that. Great tune, looking forward to checking out the rest.

chveik

The Sound Of Siam: Leftfield Luk Thung, Jazz & Molam In Thailand

not that weird, and not that obscure (considering) but it's one my favourite psyche music from around the world comps I've listened to. volume 2 is also great.

African Scream Contest: Raw & Psychedelic Afro Sounds From Benin & Togo 70s

what it says in the title. funky as fuck

holyzombiejesus

Also, the compilations released by the incomparable Mississippi Records, as discussed in this thread seriously changed my life, musically. Showed me that blues could be odd and warm and 'lovely', and that 'world' music could be just as life-affirming and enjoyable as the normal stuff I listened to. I recently got 4 compilations on Cairo Records which I strongly suspect is a Mississippi spin-off pressing vinyl versions of their old soul cassette comps. They're really really great.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: chveik on January 30, 2020, 10:55:07 PM
not that weird, and not that obscure

Aye okay by "weird and wonderful" let's just say "more interesting than that new Gorillaz stuff". I guess, compilations and mixes other people might not have heard! Niche eras, collected styles from under the radar, that stuff. Get it in here.

edit: no wait that's a bit too vague. Don't want people posting fuckin DJ Yoda or owt like that do we? You know what I mean.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 30, 2020, 10:23:59 PM
Planetary Pebbles: Surfbeat Behind The Iron Curtain

What can I say that these titles already don't? Well, I'll say this, hands cupped around my mouth like Tim Heidecker's On Cinema opening credit: THIS IS GREAT MUSIC! Far from a novelty, the stuff on this comp is sufficiently rare (although a little misleading, as around half the tracks were recorded in non-Communist countries) and hey I think we can probably all agree that surf is the most consistently banging genre of music ever made, can't we? Get the fuck in.

Full compilation here.

Ooh, that sounds great. I'm going to buy it.

Sin Agog

Yeah, I'm really into that Bollywood Bloodbath comp, too.

My favourite compilation just may be something entitled 'Fuzzy-Felt Folk: A Small Collection of Rare, Delightful Folk Oddities for Strange Adults and Maybe Their Children Too.'  Taken individually, these Oliver Postgate-esque ditties and library songs, are great enough, but it all segues together in the most beautiful way.  Am never not in the mood to go to the place it sends me.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKIcY7EeK9U&list=PL1800CCE1DC218B3E

A few other interesting ones:

I really like the Twisted Tales From the Vinyl Wasteland series of sometimes private-pressed weirdo country songs, but the fourth volume, all about the extraordinary hate they harbour towards the longhaired hippies, takes the cake.  I uploaded a song from it by a dude called Smokey Harless (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRhPjn6weQY) and I feel like a right cock as I was taking the piss out of him in the description, only for his daughter to show up all gracious and thankful.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICnxmaaVgSA

Chains & Black Exhaust.  There are so many funk comps out there, but this is from some sci-fi rock/funk intersection where scorching post-Hendrix licks are mixed with the grittiest, dirtiest funk.  There are even a few hip-hop style skits sampled from spoken word records at the time that actually work.

No No No: 28 Moody, Somber and Tragic '60s Garage Rock Sagas.  There are almost as many Garage Rock comps as Funk ones, but this scratches a very particular dreamy itch with all those glassy glissando guitar tones.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEDEtmVyqbI

alan nagsworth

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 30, 2020, 10:59:13 PM
Ooh, that sounds great. I'm going to buy it.

Hehe yeah there's one copy of Fire Star left on Discogs and I think I am gonna have to buy it when I'm paid tomorrow. Starting this thread has reminded me how much I bloody adore it and want a physical copy on my shelf.

non capisco

Quote from: chveik on January 30, 2020, 10:55:07 PM
[

African Scream Contest: Raw & Psychedelic Afro Sounds From Benin & Togo 70s

what it says in the title. funky as fuck

Nice! Analog Africa put out some wonderful stuff. Their latest that came out this month 'Mogadisco - Dancing Mogadishu (Somalia 1971-1991)' is also bloody great. Loads of Dur-Dur Band on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW-Mht7TuR8

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 30, 2020, 11:02:58 PM
A few other interesting ones:

I really like the Twisted Tales From the Vinyl Wasteland series of sometimes private-pressed weirdo country songs, but the fourth volume, all about the extraordinary hate they harbour towards the longhaired hippies, takes the cake.  I uploaded a song from it by a dude called Smokey Harless (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRhPjn6weQY) and I feel like a right cock as I was taking the piss out of him in the description, only for his daughter to show up all gracious and thankful.

No No No: 28 Moody, Somber and Tragic '60s Garage Rock Sagas.  There are almost as many Garage Rock comps as Funk ones, but this scratches a particular dreamy itch.

Was going to post a couple of similar things. Like you say, there are so so many of these garage/ psych and 50s/country/ popcorn/ exotica compilations about and it's difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff. Must admit, I think I sold my TTFTVW comps as I just had so much of that kind of stuff, mostly bought from Sounds That Swing in Camden. Still think the best thing of this type is Wavy Gravy.

The Shandells Go Go Gorilla is an absolute classic of the genre and I have so many lovely memories of listening and laughing to Senator Everett McKinley's version of Wild Thing with drunken friends. I still don't know the story behind that song and how serious it was.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on January 30, 2020, 11:19:38 PM
The Shandells Go Go Gorilla

"It has all the things that make life ... worth leaving!"

Absolutely love this campy shlock trashbag music.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 30, 2020, 11:32:04 PM
"It has all the things that make life ... worth leaving!"

Absolutely love this campy shlock trashbag music.

Yeah, it's ace. There seems to be an inexhaustible supply of the stuff too. Stag-o-Lee Records doesn't seem to release anything but compilations of campy shlock trashbag music and much of it is so good. Even the revivalists seem great. Makes it even stranger that I don't like The Cramps. Are any of the various compilations of Lux and Ivy's favourites/ influences any good?

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 30, 2020, 10:23:59 PM

The Gaslamp Killer - HELL And The LAKE OF FIRE Are Waiting For YOU!

Apparently this thing is limited to 1000 copies but there's a lot of them for sale on Discogs for very cheap so who knows?

Great artist who got #metoo'd in 2017 and it really took the wind out of the sails of his career.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/gaslamp-killer-drop-lawsuit-rape-accuser-joint-statement-865317/

jamiefairlie

Another vote for Fuzzy-felt Folk, that's the sound of my childhood, when every primary school had one young teacher with an acoustic guitar.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 31, 2020, 04:07:37 AM
Great artist who got #metoo'd in 2017 and it really took the wind out of the sails of his career.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/gaslamp-killer-drop-lawsuit-rape-accuser-joint-statement-865317/

Eesh. I was vaguely aware of this but I'll admit I didn't look into it before posting the above. I don't wish to go into it here at all for risk of derailing what is already a great thread but I'm going to leave the link up and let people make their own minds up.

Anyway! Speaking of mixes...

DJ Troubl ‎– A Journey Into Fresh Diggin' Vol. 1 - Quazimoto Meets Himself

Arguably my favourite mix of all time. In fact, fuck it: it is. Troubl, a French two-time world champion DJ, splices some of Quazimoto's finest beats alongside the songs from which they were originally sampled. A flawless, stomping and often dreamlike blend of hip hop, soul, funk, psych and blues jams. Madlib seriously knows his tunes, so needless to say this is really a thing of beauty - it's funny, it's surreal, it's effortlessly cool, and I have so many vague, late-night memories attached to it that swim around in the dank recesses of my mind that it feels like a part of my soul now, like waking from a dream where you can't place all the details but you know they're there and they have a soundtrack.

As an aside, I had never heard of David Axelrod before this mix came into my life and I might never have done since, so even if there were but one take-home from this mix, it would be this and I would be eternally thankful for it.

Full mix with tracklist here.

Phil_A

I've really been into the Esoterica Britannica compilations from the excellent itslostitsfound music blog. They cover all sorts of oddball pop, folk, psych and electronica, some familiar and some less so.

http://itslostitsfound.blogspot.com/2015/12/various-artists-esoterica-britannica.html?m=1

Crabwalk

Personal Space is indeed a corker. Here are some of my favourites comps in this category:

1) Space Echo - The Mystery Behind the Cosmic Sound of Cabo Verde Finally Revealed!

Weird afro-synth-funk from the mid 70s, with a brilliant mythology behind it that you can look up. You can thank Analog Africa for this one too.

FANY HAVEST - That Day

2) France Chébran - French Boogie 1981-1985

Super groovy French Disko cuts. (See also 'French Disco Boogie Sounds 1974-1984' which is equally good)

STYLE - PLAY BOY EN DETRESSE

3) Disco Dildar

Warped, fuzzy 70s/80s pop from Pakistan. Loads of great comps like this on Finders Keepers. I think I bought this from their website for about 3 quid.

M. Ashraf & Noor Jehan - Disco Dildaar Mera

4) Music To Watch Girls Cry (Mixed By Andy Votel)

Stupid title and cover art aside, this will be right up your street Nags, if you're getting into Votel's world. An infectious quick-fire mix of every type of global retro-obscurity you can imagine, including the best advert for an Indian restaurant I've ever heard.

Track 4

5) Outro Tempo: Electronic And Contemporary Music From Brazil 1978​-​1992

Deep and beguiling cuts, assembled by Music From Memory.

Nando Carneiro - G.R.E.S. Luxo Artezanal - O Camponês

madhair60

I don't know if anyone's heard of it, it's a bit "off the beaten path" but I do enjoy one called "Nuggets"

alan nagsworth

Quote from: madhair60 on January 31, 2020, 01:49:26 PM
I don't know if anyone's heard of it, it's a bit "off the beaten path" but I do enjoy one called "Nuggets"

"The Other N Word", as we Compies like to call it.

Not really I just made that shit up. Made "Compies" up as well. It's Friday bitch I'm lettin loose 🤪

purlieu

FSOL's Electric Brainstorm series of mixtapes is pretty good, there's a lot of strange, obscure stuff in there: avant garde and tape music from the '50s to the '70s, snippets from public information films, hauntological synth music, '80s post-industrial, modern classical stuff, jazz oddities, krautrock, some traditional / 'world' music, the odd ambient and IDM piece and loads of strange unidentified bits, referred to in the tracklist as things like 'Derek's Red Tape', 'Angry Neighbours' and '?'. The mood tends to be quite sinister and spooky with a rural vibe, very much on the hauntology lines again.
They're mostly on Mixcloud, uploaded by various people.

Volume 4 is a good starting point (Part 1 - Part 2).

Last year's 12th volume is particularly high on relatively obscure pieces: "In the 70s Composers of the strange found it hard to get their music heard. One of the main outlets was Radio commissions - RADIO ART - this mainly is celebrating some artists that managed to be transmitted"
https://soundcloud.com/fsol-digital-recordings/the-electric-brain-storms-document-twelve

kngen

The Killed By Death series prob belongs in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Gw1gZYieo

Basically a collection of (once) incredibly obscure early punk songs from bands that probably lasted as long as the recording sessions took that were previously the preserve of only the diehardiest of diehard collectors. There was a lot of speculation that these were put together by Tom Hazelmeyer of AmRep/Halo of Flies, but - as the excellent chapter on the KBD phenomenon in Simon Reynold's Retromania taught me - it was just some rich Swedish kid who married into money armed with his (genuine collector scum) friend's wants list that put them out. Well, he did a great job, nonetheless, and bands like the Mad, the Eat, the Child Molesters, the Authorities and ... uh ... the Beastie Boys finally got the wider recognition they deserved.

Funny story: my mate from Sydney, a crazy collector in his own right, loved the first four KBD comps, but after none appeared for a couple of years, he decided to continue the legacy and put out KBD #5 and #6, with a nod to Japanese hardcore and punk, but really as a tribute to the concept as a whole. The original dude was incensed, and put out KBD#7 as a response, with every record featured being the top picks on my pal's want list (given that he was a pretty well-known collector, even on the global stage). And he put my friend's PO Box address in Sydney as the mailing contact on the back rather than the usual 'PO Box 666, Hell, Norway' which was the hallmark of the original comps. It was a total dick move, but one I can't help but grudgingly respect!

Sebastian Cobb

Wizzz! French Psychorama from the 60's and 70's

alan nagsworth

Forgot about those KBD comps! I adore the punk-metal brutality of Slash Your Face by The Dogs.