Author Topic: Weird and wonderful compilations and mixtapes  (Read 2793 times)

Re: Weird and wonderful compilations and mixtapes
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2020, 09:18:12 PM »
The "Killed By Death" comps reminded me of:

Noise Kills Punk Dead

Noise / sound collage / avant / miscellaneous comp, almost all tracks lasting not much more than a minute. (Was going to embed an image of the cover but can't do that for some reason)

Famous Mortimer

• War - it's fantastic!
    • International Syndicate of Cult Film Critics
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2020, 10:20:44 PM »
I was going to mention "Music To Watch Girls Cry", as well. I listened to a lot of Votel's comps, and although there are lulls in them, they're pretty fascinating and listenable things.

JesusAndYourBush

• Earnest silky coconut shell
    • http://www.google.com
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2020, 02:37:02 AM »
Does anyone remember people using the word "mixtape" in the 80's or is it something that's been retconned.
I used cassettes all through the 80's and 90's but I'd never heard of the word "mixtape" until I started encountering it on the internet in the early 2000's.  And at first I assumed people were talking about DJ mixes where one song had been slickly segued into the next... but no... they were just talking about tapes with songs on - basically any tape of songs that is composed of different artists is a "mixtape".  We just used to call them tapes. "Here's a tape I made for you", "I've made a few tapes for the car", etc...

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2020, 06:59:59 AM »
Does anyone remember people using the word "mixtape" in the 80's or is it something that's been retconned.
I used cassettes all through the 80's and 90's but I'd never heard of the word "mixtape" until I started encountering it on the internet in the early 2000's.  And at first I assumed people were talking about DJ mixes where one song had been slickly segued into the next... but no... they were just talking about tapes with songs on - basically any tape of songs that is composed of different artists is a "mixtape".  We just used to call them tapes. "Here's a tape I made for you", "I've made a few tapes for the car", etc...

Yeah we just called them compilations or, as you say, tapes. Mixtape has a suspiciously American twang to it.

Captain Crunch

• Twister, Dustbuster, Hospital Bed
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2020, 02:04:18 PM »
Not sure if tribute albums count but I’m currently living for this Doors album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_bf3jHNoJw

Usual mix of traditional, playful, iffy and better than the original, well worth a listen.   

I also picked up the Stones psych tribute album and the Led Zeppelin stoner one but those will have to wait. 

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2020, 02:55:10 PM »

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 08:19:54 PM »
Yeah we just called them compilations or, as you say, tapes. Mixtape has a suspiciously American twang to it.

In the 90s I only heard the term mixtape being used to describe hip-hop compilations that a DJ had mixed, not just any old compilation on a cassette.

the

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2020, 08:35:12 PM »

You may like to note that there's an episode of Friends from 2000 in which Chandler refers to a compilation tape he's made as a mixtape.

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2020, 10:22:23 PM »
This is a great thread. +5 karma.

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 10:08:25 PM »
Sidereal Rest. Billed as a "sleep vehicle" with tracks split into areas of sleep: theta / spindles / delta. God help you if you fell asleep though listening to this excellent compilation of mad bastards.

Fantastic comp with some big names - Thinking Fellers, Caroliner, The Extra Glenns (Mountain Goats fans delight), Sun City Girls - and some unknown to me at the time and later loved - Paste, Thee Crusaders, US Saucer, Pork Queen.

Scratch records in the area. Trackshun represent,

I thought Climax Golden Twins were on this, but apparently not?

Here's the whole thing on Youtube if you're someone who listens to music in that way.

Love BC Scar's Waterskiing splish splash home tape, Loren Mazzacane Connors shattering your heart as per usual with his guitar tones, Caroliner owning your soul forever with a few tossed off banjo notes and Staked Plain, an underrated found sound bricked up basement band that had a great record that no one gave a fuck about then and sure as shit couldn't give a fuck about now. Holla.

Crabwalk

• I hope you enjoy drinking dirty toilet water.
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2020, 09:11:56 PM »
Finders Keepers are offering 30% off of everything in their online store with the code FKR30. I'm guessing they're in trouble, like everyone else. Knock yourselves out with their weird and wonderful shit.

https://www.finderskeepersrecords.com/shop/

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2020, 11:02:23 AM »

purlieu

• Gertrude Stein said that's enough.
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2020, 12:53:36 PM »
Forgot to mention Nmesh's four hour video game music mix Welcome to Warp Zone, which is bloody fantastic.
https://nmesh.bandcamp.com/album/welcome-to-warp-zone-4-hour-vgm-mix

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2020, 04:22:06 PM »
Bought this recently, would recommend.

Crabwalk

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2020, 04:24:27 PM »
^ I was listening to that this very morning! It's brilliant.

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2020, 11:43:25 AM »
I don't know if anyone's heard of it, it's a bit "off the beaten path" but I do enjoy one called "Nuggets"

I bloody love Nuggets.

Hasn't Andy Partridge championed it as essentially the template for The Dukes of Stratosphear?

alan nagsworth

• Don't leave housus! Else I will slap faece.
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2020, 01:40:07 PM »
I think madhair was being sarcastic! But either way since it’s been brought up, I had this on in the kitchen while I cooked a Sunday roast this past weekend and it is absolutely fucking boss. “Liar Liar” by The Castaways, one of those songs I really wish was at least twice as long as it is.

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2020, 09:08:21 PM »
Not all obscure, but a friend has been doing a live lockdown mix each Saturday. Bless him, as a fallen DJ myself it's a highlight of my week at the moment

Tonight

https://www.facebook.com/brengentle/videos/2850917131653479/?sfnsn=scwshmo&extid=bqAZo4rAIDbbb54E&d=n&vh=e

Last Week's:

https://www.facebook.com/brengentle/videos/3655722011136294/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 09:59:18 PM by phes »

Crabwalk

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2020, 01:20:35 AM »
*skips to two random points* *hears favourites from B52s and Marcos Valle* *bookmarks to watch in full tomorrow*

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2020, 03:07:38 AM »
They've certainly brightened my Saturdays. And, enviably, I know that he doesn't prepare this stuff - It's on the fly. Both mixes were about 30 minutes longer but for some reason he had to restart the stream on each occasion, which is where each begins. He did upload an uninterrupted version of the first one to Vimeo but the sound quality is bad.

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2020, 01:04:09 PM »
Soul Jazz Records seem to be kings of these sorts of compilations. They have loads of great Ska, Afrobeat, Krautrock, Punk and all sorts of other genre compilations full of great stuff, and they are all on Spotify

Tags: