Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:06:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stupid big cars

Started by seepage, February 01, 2020, 08:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

Apart from the wanker opposite who interferes with r*lly cars to pass the time, 75% of the houses in my street have at least one APC parked outside. It's a narrow road with small gardens, so walking to the corner shop is like something out of Takeshi's Castle, alternately dodging giant vehicles parked over the kerb or spilling over from the garden onto the pavement.

Pijlstaart

Simmer down now, plenty of stupid small cars too. Brum, as you will note, was an entirely pavement-going car, illegal, an inveterate heel-banger and a menace. Certainly we have been lessened by Brum.

Getting the public to fall in love with these massive crossovers was a cunt's trick. They don't fit in parking spaces, they don't fit in a single garage, the fuel economy is worse than the equivalent hatchback or estate, they handle worse because of the higher centre of gravity. They're worse than a normal car in every measurable way.

Of course, my other half wants one. Fucks sake.

Dewt

A crossover is a stupid proposition in the UK. The only reason for owning one is that they're good in snow. If you don't live where there's heavy, regular snow then why bother. Even in the countryside where most people were driving Land Rovers we did fine with a fucking Maestro.

Dewt

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 01, 2020, 09:02:38 AMthe fuel economy is worse than the equivalent hatchback or estate
Gonna have to disagree here, my Subaru Forester gets much better mileage than my Golf GTI did (not a great example of an economic hatchback I guess)

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

If you live in Britain and you own a pickup truck but you don't put anything in the back of it you're a cunt.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteOf course, my other half wants one. Fucks sake.

STORAGE AND FOR VER KIDS

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 01, 2020, 10:31:14 AM
If you live in Britain and you own a pickup truck but you don't put anything in the back of it you're a cunt.

And also having a car of any sort while living in a city seems unnecessary.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Well I live in a city, but unfortunately it's the city of Preston, so a car is sometimes necessary.

Blumf

Fuckin BMW X6!! Oh yeah, I want a huge fucking car, but with LESS interior space than an X5. I just want the oversized, awkward to drive aspect of owning a stupidly big car.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 01, 2020, 09:02:38 AM
Getting the public to fall in love with these massive crossovers was a cunt's trick. They don't fit in parking spaces, they don't fit in a single garage, the fuel economy is worse than the equivalent hatchback or estate, they handle worse because of the higher centre of gravity. They're worse than a normal car in every measurable way.

Of course, my other half wants one. Fucks sake.

It's just so parents don't have to bend down to get their weans in and out.

Have you seen how fucking massive child seats are these days?

Sebastian Cobb

I rented a Toyota Proace van for an hour to pick up my bicycle from the centre of town last week after I abandoned it with a flat tyre. It was smoother (apart from braking, those brakes WORK) and generally nicer to drive than any motor I've owned.

When I got home I wondered if there were breakdown rescue services for bikes. After some googling I found out there were and they're pretty cheap. One will do 3 pickups per year for £15 and another will do unlimited for £24 or throw it in free with bike insurance (which is less than £24 if you have a bike worth less than £150). Neither will carry out fixes though, only a lift with the bike to home, a bike shop, train station or b&b.

phes

I was going to write a sensible reply to Shoulders post, about the abysmal past land-use and transport planning, partly in defence of urban car owners. Then I realised I joined the Southsea Parking Crisis group purely for the schadenfreude of watching people who own modern cars that are 1 foot longer than those made 30 years ago, melting down because they can't park in their street

Fuck emmmmm

seepage

While the Nissan Juke isn't the worst offender, it's got to be one of the ugliest things ever designed.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: seepage on February 01, 2020, 12:07:53 PM
While the Nissan Juke isn't the worst offender, it's got to be one of the ugliest things ever designed.

These two get the top spots on the podium.

Marner and Me

What about the Chrysler PT Cruiser, fucking vile.

SteK

I've got a Maserati Quattroporte I kid you not. it's 2006 and been looked after, but it's amongst the last of the proper Masers, with the Ferrari dry-sump engine and Ferrari F-1 gearbox, before they merged with Chrysler, put diesels in, used the 300C floorplan and stuck a Trident on it.

Rolf Lundgren

The bigger the car, the bigger the idiot is a motto to stand for.

shiftwork2

Quote from: SteK on February 01, 2020, 12:34:52 PM
I've got a Maserati Quattroporte I kid you not. it's 2006 and been looked after, but it's amongst the last of the proper Masers, with the Ferrari dry-sump engine and Ferrari F-1 gearbox, before they merged with Chrysler, put diesels in, used the 300C floorplan and stuck a Trident on it.

Crikey never seen a post like that on this forum.  Looked it up and it's a nice car.  Expect you get a lot of fanny?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 01, 2020, 11:16:34 AM
Well I live in a city, but unfortunately it's the city of Preston, so a car is sometimes necessary.

You live in Preston? Hey, is it true that the Continental is no longer hosting gigs?

SteK

Quote from: shiftwork2 on February 01, 2020, 12:53:08 PM
Crikey never seen a post like that on this forum.  Looked it up and it's a nice car.  Expect you get a lot of fanny?

I don't actually, probably cos I'm old and ugly and the fact most lasses don't know a Lada from a Lambo...

Drove it to France last summer before I moved to Ireland, this 4th is July last year, the last time it was it clean!

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 01, 2020, 12:54:43 PM
You live in Preston? Hey, is it true that the Continental is no longer hosting gigs?

Apparently it still does. I've never been.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on February 01, 2020, 02:32:46 PM
Apparently it still does. I've never been.

Bah. Next thing you'll be telling me you've never had a chat with that Scottish bloke behind the counter at Action Records.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Oh dear. I haven't lived really, have I?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

You've at least got pissed up in that round- shaped pub, though?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Maybe. I was pissed at the time.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: seepage on February 01, 2020, 08:46:05 AM
75% of the houses in my street have at least one APC parked outside.

Where the fuck do you live that so many people need an armoured personnel carrier? Hull?

Johnny Yesno

Sony Walkman Prophecies

London is going to be as hot as Barcelona by 2050, so they say. I think we're getting the point where it's become morally justifiable to vandalise cars in large urban areas. This is something I've seriously thought about. And if i was to start anywhere, I mean, if I was to do it a logical, open-handed way, the ones I'd start with are those stonking Land Rovers with the blacked out windows. Actually, any vehicle with blacked out windows will do for the first phase of the purge.

Quote from: Sony Walkman Prophecies on February 01, 2020, 08:26:11 PM
London is going to be as hot as Barcelona by 2050, so they say.

London commute 2050.