Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:16:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs containing things you both love and hate

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, February 01, 2020, 05:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

We've all heard them, songs.

Now think of some which have an amazing bit and a disgracefully awful bit, neither of which resolve your feelings about the track.

I'll start. Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence.

The music post chorus is beautiful. A rare feat for a pop song managing to reach a level of subtlety and complexity of tone. There is a poise. But I cannot stand the low note at the end of the chorus. Sets me right on edge. Earnest but also ghastly. I suppose I would say the same about lots of his vocals but that especially.

As a result I can never fully enjoy it, or loathe it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

After reading this yesterday I'd never been so angry in all my life and actually hoped the forum would be put to rest and closed for good.

I've calmed down now and can understand what you mean (albeit not about that song)

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

The verses are just sublime, super chilled, mysterious and dreamy.

The choruses are a crime against music and saxophones can shove themselves up their own arses.

DrGreggles

Stairway to Heaven

Mostly boring, but the bit where it rocks out is fucking awesome.

rue the polywhirl

Meta-choice: Erasure - Love To Hate You.

Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Love and Hate.  I love his music because it's got a good reputation n stuff. I hate it because it's probably a bit dreary and I don't really fancy giving it a proper listen.

wosl

Percées de lumière by French 'blackgazers' Alcest. A blizzard of paint-stripper howling and metal lite riffage gives way at about the two-and-a-half minute mark to a lovely melodic guitar figure intertwined with dreamily soaring vox for just under a minute, before returning to the unpleasantness of the first section.

Marked at point lovely bit begins

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on February 02, 2020, 01:06:02 PM
Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

The verses are just sublime, super chilled, mysterious and dreamy.

The choruses are a crime against music and saxophones can shove themselves up their own arses.

no, sorry, the saxophone is perfect.

grassbath

R.E.M. - Harborcoat. Wonderful, moody slice of jangle pop. Can't fault the verses, the guitars, the build in the prechorus. Then - CHORUS! Three badly mixed voices singing three different sets of lyrics at once. Ghastly - wanton - mess. Who signed off on that one?

DJ Bob Hoskins

grassbath

Captain Crunch

No you're talking out of your gash there.  The 'we-oo we-ooh' backing vocal on Daysleeper, maybe you'd have a point there but not Harborcoat. 

grassbath

Sorry, I meant to say in my previous post that Murmur is rubbish, So. Central Rain is shite, Fall On Me is wank, Out of Time is their best album and Michael Stipe is fucking BALD.

easytarget

Quote from: grassbath on February 03, 2020, 12:23:13 AMOut of Time is their best album
True though.

What's bad with Love to Hate You by Erasure? I can only hear good things in it.

Clownbaby

Nearly every Interpol song just about pulls me inand then there's something tediously shrill about each song as it goes on that makes my ears tired after just 1 minute of the song playing. I regularly go back to certain songs like Not Even Jail and automatically skip to the next song after about 1 and a half minutes in

famethrowa

studpuppet

Your first choice reminded me of Depeche Mode's 'Behind The Wheel' on the 101 album. It's such a great start to a show - normally live songs are spoilt by audience noise leaking onto the recording, but this one has Dave Gahan whooping and hollering all over it , and by the time he shouts, "THANK YOU!!" at the end I hate him, I truly hate him.

Dusty Substance

Hocus Pocus by Focus comes so close to being an all-time favourite track of mine, but it's spoiled by the wacky accordion interlude just after the five minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV0F_XiR48Q

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The whole of " Steve McQueen" by Prefab Sprout (1985)Genius songs, horrid 80s production. The song " The King Of Rock N Roll" from 1988 is the culmination of this.

Ray Travez

Absolutely love Beck's Lord Only Knows, but I can't stand the wibbly guitar crap at 1.27

lebowskibukowski

Spaceman - Babylon Zoo.
What a tune that could've been, apart from the 97% of it that is utter shite.
Express Yourself - NWA.
Almost perfect, but that tinny sound the whole way through is grating.

Ray Travez

Jenifa Taught Me- I dislike the comedy piano interlude. Bisects a great song with unnecessary fluff.

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on February 03, 2020, 10:36:44 AM
Spaceman - Babylon Zoo.
What a tune that could've been, apart from the 97% of it that is utter shite.

The Arthur Baker dub off the 12" promo played at 45rpm would have suited you at the time

https://youtu.be/gfl73GC8bqs

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on February 03, 2020, 10:36:44 AM
Express Yourself - NWA.
Almost perfect, but that tinny sound the whole way through is grating.

LP version
https://youtu.be/i9LQLmvNu-g

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 03, 2020, 10:37:00 AM
Jenifa Taught Me- I dislike the comedy piano interlude. Bisects a great song with unnecessary fluff.

The original 12" single before the LP came out didn't have the interlude

https://youtu.be/W5my53HT2hw

the

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 03, 2020, 10:28:37 AMAbsolutely love Beck's Lord Only Knows, but I can't stand the wibbly guitar crap at 1.27

I've always liked that because it sounds deliberately rubbish, like a teenager trying to impress you with their guitar skills. Makes me laugh every time.

If it bugs you that much you can always mute the left channel while it plays.

idunnosomename

Crazy Train

Minor key riffs = awesome

Major key riffs = anus

greenman

I'v warmed to it over time but the guitar in the chorus of Can's All Gates Open always sounded a bit too cheesey, the outro is close to musical perfection.

Jockice

Jockice

Help by The Beatles. Cracking chorus, shit verse.  I realise I may be the only person on earth who thinks this though.