Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:32:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pountless haggling

Started by bgmnts, February 02, 2020, 12:39:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Anyone ever tried to sell something and have some twat try to negotiate despite it already veing a steal?

Currently selling an xbox one with a controller for £55 which is incredibly cheap as it is.

Get a message from a bloke saying "Will you do £40?". Will I fuck, I tell him. £55 is non negotiable, yet he proceeds to say "oh I dont know its a long way to go, make it £50 and we have a deal". I tell him no it has to be £55 and reiterate what a fucking steal it is.

He cracks and goes "okay if there are no scratches and dents i'll take it for £55". Considering I uploaded images of the thing he knows if there are or not.

What's the fucking point like?

Considering withdrawing my offer now.  Perfectly reasonable to ask you if it had dents.

bgmnts

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on February 02, 2020, 12:43:00 AM
Considering withdrawing my offer now.  Perfectly reasonable to ask you if it had dents.

No word of a lie if he tries to haggle when he comes to collect and pay i'll fucking spit in his cunt face.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on February 02, 2020, 12:45:21 AM
No word of a lie if he tries to haggle when he comes to collect and pay i'll fucking spit in his cunt face.

I'm guessing payment in advance wasn't an option?

I've had haggling on eBay plenty of times before, sometimes pointless (like the auction is already much higher than an offer I got), sometimes not (where the item had been on there several times with zilch interest, but equally I didn't want to just sling it).

I'm terrible at haggling, though.  Would much rather have a fixed price and be done with it.  I'd be useless on Bargain Hunt.

bgmnts

I dont think you can take payment in advance on gumtree no.

Just hate chancers like that.

Shit Good Nose

Pity.

Never tried Gumtree - felt too much like the wild west when I last looked at it (about a decade ago).

Kryton

Haggle upwards. Charge him for petrol.

£60 or do one.

bgmnts

Genuinely arrived and asked "Do you have a fiver change?" and I said no and he just says well have 60 then.

Top negotiator!

NoSleep

Negative feedback for you there.

H-O-W-L

Bugger,  I'm in the market for a cheap Xbox too.

I once had someone try and barter me down on a cross-trainer I was selling for a tenner. I just wanted to be rid of it, and he tried to get me to go down to a fiver. Told him to leave and I still have the cunt.

Ray Travez

Quote from: bgmnts on February 02, 2020, 07:41:53 AM
Genuinely arrived and asked "Do you have a fiver change?" and I said no and he just says well have 60 then.

'Course he did. Had someone arrive to buy a tumble dryer off me. Maybe it was £40, he haggled me down to £35. £40 was already a good price, but whatever, I needed rid. Then, "Do you have £5 change?" "No." He waited expectantly for me to say, "Oh I'll take £30." An awkward pause, but I wasn't going to crack. Then he went to the shop for change. I thought he might not come back, but it was a bargain.

Sorry it's a bit boring that story, mainly posting for reasons of solidarity.

olliebean

Quote from: bgmnts on February 02, 2020, 12:39:48 AM
Anyone ever tried to sell something and have some twat try to negotiate despite it already veing a steal?

Currently selling an xbox one with a controller for £55 which is incredibly cheap as it is.

Get a message from a bloke saying "Will you do £40?". Will I fuck, I tell him. £55 is non negotiable, yet he proceeds to say "oh I dont know its a long way to go, make it £50 and we have a deal". I tell him no it has to be £55 and reiterate what a fucking steal it is.

He cracks and goes "okay if there are no scratches and dents i'll take it for £55". Considering I uploaded images of the thing he knows if there are or not.

What's the fucking point like?

I'll give you a fiver for it.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 02, 2020, 08:31:34 AM
'Course he did. Had someone arrive to buy a tumble dryer off me. Maybe it was £40, he haggled me down to £35. £40 was already a good price, but whatever, I needed rid. Then, "Do you have £5 change?" "No." He waited expectantly for me to say, "Oh I'll take £30." An awkward pause, but I wasn't going to crack. Then he went to the shop for change. I thought he might not come back, but it was a bargain.

Sorry it's a bit boring that story, mainly posting for reasons of solidarity.

I was once giving away a decent big fridge freezer when I was moving house and the new place had a better one already.
So I put it on Gumtree with photos/measurements/etc and the first response I had was from a bloke who asked loads of extra questions about it (most of which were answered in the ad's blurb) and then wanted me to deliver it.
When I pointed out the ad said 'collection only' he had a go at me for wasting his time!

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 02, 2020, 01:19:07 AM
Never tried Gumtree - felt too much like the wild west when I last looked at it (about a decade ago).

Don't blame you. Who wants to buy a console on a website where people are arranging threesomes? No wonder the bloke wanted a discount on the Xbox, I bet it's got all spunk on it.

Bazooka

He will regret paying that extra fiver when he gets it home and you didn't wipe the hard drive full of nude snaps of you.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 02, 2020, 11:16:09 AM
I was once giving away a decent big fridge freezer when I was moving house and the new place had a better one already.
So I put it on Gumtree with photos/measurements/etc and the first response I had was from a bloke who asked loads of extra questions about it (most of which were answered in the ad's blurb) and then wanted me to deliver it.
When I pointed out the ad said 'collection only' he had a go at me for wasting his time!

I've heard that giving away things on gumtree attracts the biggest timewasters and idiots. Plenty of people saying they'll come and not bothering etc, people turning up to collect massive wardrobes and fridges then being surprised they won't fit in their poxy hatchback. It's often worth putting a nominal price on just to filter them out, you can always wave the cost when someone turns up.

Dex Sawash

I just chopped up another boat to avoid trying to sell it. The Art of the Deal.

Icehaven

I put a guitar on ebay a few years back, only a few years old and had never been played so it was in mint condition. They cost about £250 new so I put it on for about £200 expecting to be haggled down a bit, but the first interest was from some bloke who offered something ridiculous like £75 then had the cheek to get angry when I refused, saying things like "It's second hand, you can't expect to get more for it" and accusing me of being "totally unrealistic" and so on. He seemed quite determined to wear me down and get himself a bargain so I just blocked him and removed the listing, I didn't need the money badly enough to have to waste any of my life dealing with cunts like that so I still have the guitar and it's still never really been played. £200 if you're interested.

hummingofevil

Quote from: icehaven on February 02, 2020, 04:59:55 PM
I put a guitar on ebay a few years back, only a few years old and had never been played so it was in mint condition. They cost about £250 new so I put it on for about £200 expecting to be haggled down a bit, but the first interest was from some bloke who offered something ridiculous like £75 then had the cheek to get angry when I refused, saying things like "It's second hand, you can't expect to get more for it" and accusing me of being "totally unrealistic" and so on. He seemed quite determined to wear me down and get himself a bargain so I just blocked him and removed the listing, I didn't need the money badly enough to have to waste any of my life dealing with cunts like that so I still have the guitar and it's still never really been played. £200 if you're interested.

Give you £75 for it.

Dewt

Usually I just make a counter-offer that is one cent/penny below my original asking price.

kngen

Selling off our furniture before we left the UK, I couldn't believe the amount of people who would turn up having driven halfway across London and then try to haggle. I felt like pointing out that they'd got the power dynamic all wrong, and they were the ones wasting their time if they didn't go through with the transaction, as all I had to do was get off my arse and answer the door. Instead, I'd ignore their grumblings until they finally coughed up the agreed price, and - once they had driven round the corner – cheerfully flick the Vs in their direction and go back inside and sit on a crate, watching Sky Sports News until the next moany prick turned up.

Icehaven

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

There's nothing worse than walking away from a good haggling session with no pounts to show for it.

Posted a carpet cleaner for £20 just to get rid fast. Full bottle of cleaning fluid too which goes for about £7 by itself. Absolute fucking steal.

Bloke messages "what's wrong with it?" Reply back, nothing, just want it gone. "I'll give you £15 for it." Fucking front of it.

touchingcloth

I got five nice bits of chicken with 20p off so yeah I'm well happy with that.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 02, 2020, 12:25:05 PM
I've heard that giving away things on gumtree attracts the biggest timewasters and idiots. Plenty of people saying they'll come and not bothering etc, people turning up to collect massive wardrobes and fridges then being surprised they won't fit in their poxy hatchback. It's often worth putting a nominal price on just to filter them out, you can always wave the cost when someone turns up.

I've had listings deleted when putting them on for a nominal fee, mainly because Gumtree won't let you list free things in a category - free tellies live in "Freebies" rather than "Tellies" section - so they don't like it when you list things in a category for a quid.

Gumtree in general attracts massive time wasters and weirdos, though. I don't know how they manage it but I tend to update listings to say that things are sold before closing them down, but people still get in touch wanting to know if some free plant pots or whatever are available. I sold a dog shit HP tablet on there on a friend's behalf in 2012 to some guy who wanted to use it "for learning piano", but he was a technophobe and kept calling me asking for instructions for weeks afterwards even though I had nothing to tell him other than that he should google it.

They introduced a good feature at one point where they add a phone number and email address to listings which redirect to your personal ones but are deactivated when the listing's over, so that's good.

Blinder Data

Tried to sell an as-new Jack Wills puffa puffa jacket that I would never wear on gumtree a while ago

First text I got: "hi whats the lowest offer you will accept"

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 04, 2020, 09:23:09 AM
I've had listings deleted when putting them on for a nominal fee, mainly because Gumtree won't let you list free things in a category - free tellies live in "Freebies" rather than "Tellies" section - so they don't like it when you list things in a category for a quid.

Gumtree in general attracts massive time wasters and weirdos, though. I don't know how they manage it but I tend to update listings to say that things are sold before closing them down, but people still get in touch wanting to know if some free plant pots or whatever are available. I sold a dog shit HP tablet on there on a friend's behalf in 2012 to some guy who wanted to use it "for learning piano", but he was a technophobe and kept calling me asking for instructions for weeks afterwards even though I had nothing to tell him other than that he should google it.

They introduced a good feature at one point where they add a phone number and email address to listings which redirect to your personal ones but are deactivated when the listing's over, so that's good.

I've only ever used it to buy things, without haggling and have found that a long process despite asking questions like 'when would be a convenient time to collect this?' or 'would it be possible to collect this at the weekend?' and generally making a point that I'm happy to wait until they're going to be home anyway rather than making them stay in so some tit can buy some panniers or speaker stands for less than 20 quid.

Actually I felt like a prick with the speaker stands one. I arranged a time to get them and booked a car in the car share scheme with a reasonable amount of time to pick it up. Only when I picked the car up, the previous person hadn't charged it, so I had to extend the booking and go and sit in a coffee shop while it charged up. I texted them to let them know, but it still pissed me off as I'd let them down and it wasn't my fault.

Non Stop Dancer

Jerry Seinfeld said in an episode that he didn't want to meet someone who was in the market for a second hand van, and I extend that to anyone who wants a second hand anything.