Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:49:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Iain Lee talks about the 11 O’Clock Show

Started by Operty1, February 02, 2020, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham Bap

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 17, 2020, 12:02:37 AM
Fucking hell, tonight's is 2 hours 39 minutes...and Max Clifford is on.

Back from the dead to provide Twitch commentary.

Replies From View

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on February 15, 2020, 12:59:32 PM
Yes is it annoying when extraneous things interrupt the main topic of conversation.

Back on topic:  How can Iain Lee have acquired recognition for any kind of talent when his main skill appears to involve thanking people for subscribing to things.

How is it even good?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

His main job is hosting radio shows, which is something he's very good at. His reputation isn't based on a Twitch stream he's been hosting for the last four weeks.

typeforty

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on February 17, 2020, 12:02:37 AM
Fucking hell, tonight's is 2 hours 39 minutes...and Max Clifford is on.

It's worth pointing out that the 11 O'Clock Show bit of it took less than 90 minutes. He stayed on and did some game streaming afterwards.

mr. logic

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 17, 2020, 09:22:55 AM
His main job is hosting radio shows, which is something he's very good at. His reputation isn't based on a Twitch stream he's been hosting for the last four weeks.

He's a big Tommy Boyd fan isn't he? Any particular clips on YouTube you would recommend?

PlanktonSideburns

cant wait until all of bbc's exes are on twitch and i can lob cryptocoins at them and watch them dance in humiliating clothes for me, the format saturated with ex establishment camwhores

hugh stevens dangles from a sex swing insterting candles, stopping his tears only to thanks subscribers, emily matlis stands in the corner on one leg with a teatowel on her head, best tenner ive spent all week

Gregory Torso

Quite enjoyed the latest ep and am starting to warm to Lee's way a bit more. I think his constant "that was FUNNY, come ON, that was" is him trying to justify some of the 11OCS? Like, hey it wasn't all jokes about Harold Shipman and kids with cancer, this bit is FINE, right? Validation?

Would be really surprised if he sees this all the way through - I had a look at some later episodes and HOOOOOOH they are hard fucking work, even more so than this first series which has been remarkably boring. Brendan Burns seems to have no purpose whatsoever on it.

The Ali G stuff is still by far the only funny bit on it. Can't wait for the Gerv to pop up next series!!!

Dusty Substance

Iain Lee talking about the first episode of The Persuasionists has just appeared on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFeeP5wTbR0.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 18, 2020, 08:57:19 PM

Iain Lee talking about the first episode of The Persuasionists has just appeared on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFeeP5wTbR0.

Oh god I forgot about that. I'm sure he's a great radio host and everything, but his TV output is totally abysmal.

Danger Man

Five minutes in and he's begging for work. Oh boy.

bgmnts

QuoteBuxton had the best reaction video to this, when he read out all the rave reviews online, namedropping 'cookdandbombd' and then having a breakdown and running away..

I want to see this.

Quote from: Danger Man on February 18, 2020, 10:43:46 PM
Five minutes in and he's begging for work. Oh boy.

Why it's almost as if he's sending himself up.

Yes, there's a kernel of painful truth behind his self-aware mock-pleading, but give the guy some credit.

Danger Man

It's good stuff.

The commentary. The show hasn't aged badly.

Dusty Substance

I never saw "The Perduasionists" at the time but there was no escaping the vitriolic negative reception at the time (5ish on IMDB in 2010, down to 4.1 today). Even though Iain said a couple of times during the commentary that the first episode was the best, it still shows sign of potential. That opening episode seemed no better or worse than the very few episodes of The I.T Crowd and that got great reviews and ran for four seasons.

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on February 18, 2020, 10:42:38 PM
Oh god I forgot about that. I'm sure he's a great radio host and everything, but his TV output is totally abysmal.

I don't think Iain Lee really knows what to do with his career these days. He is a great radio host, but he appears to have lost interest in that. Poring over his awful TV work and apologising for how shit it was isn't a very healthy alternative.

Danger Man

"It's sexist"
"Why?"
"Because I'm a woman and I don't like it"

Simpler times.

You can see how Buxton and Farnaby are clearly the talented members of this cast.

"I've got to make three grand a month to pay my mortgage and divorce settlement"

Panbaams

Buxton had the best reaction video to this, when he read out all the rave reviews online, namedropping 'cookdandbombd' and then having a breakdown and running away..

It's not necessarily complimentary.

I remember wondering at the time whether the rest of The Persuasionists cast would have been a bit narked with Adam Buxton for doing that video.

Ferris

I remember that, I'm not sure the CaB mention was necessarily positive.

It's ok Buckles, I forgive you and think your podcast is great.

bgmnts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0gDap9yyRU

I have major respect for him now, I genuinely he managed to keep this up.

Pissing himself through this whole thing, that Rimmer cunt, he genuinely doesn't even care does he his life is just that empty.
Is it Paulie Walnuts???

imitationleather

Quote from: bgmnts on February 19, 2020, 10:35:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0gDap9yyRU

I have major respect for him now, I genuinely he managed to keep this up.

Pissing himself through this whole thing, that Rimmer cunt, he genuinely doesn't even care does he his life is just that empty.
Is it Paulie Walnuts???

Yes that's pretty good. Obviously a BNP phone-in weirdo is a fish in a barrel but he shot him well.

It makes me think he needs to revisit what he did on The 11 O'Clock Show even less.

bgmnts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBMigEh1nLY

He goes back to a tad twatty though.

How does he know his anti depressant medication wont be found out to fuck him up? Fucksake.

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on February 19, 2020, 10:35:33 PM
Is it Paulie Walnuts???

Why did he stay on the phone?  A glutton for punishment, clearly.

bgmnts

Def has the Partridge vibes yeah.

The "flat white" joke caught me off guard and I pissed myself.