Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst game you've played to completion

Started by peanutbutter, February 02, 2020, 03:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on February 14, 2020, 06:41:02 PM
"FIFA Scripting" is a long held complaint about the series. Basically, it holds that game engine sometimes handicaps teams by changing elements of the game the players have no direct control over (goalkeepers and whichever outfield players they're not controlling at any given time, ball bounces after tackles) or are partly assisted by the game (such as exactly where passes and shots go) to impact results without telling you. It's called scripting because it's seen as the game engine deciding the outcome rather than the players. The reasons given for why EA allegedly do this include:
I often think about how AI in realistic sports games works and the stuff described above is exactly the kind of thing I would come up with. I wouldn't want to play the game that doesn't do this because it would be as unbalanced as shit.

EA are pricks but this sounds to me like people are throwing fits about their games not being precise physical simulations that would be shit to play. Sure the edge cases are disappointing but I personally think they're funny as fuck.

peanutbutter

So hold on, "scripting" in the case of that video means that the play starts from a corner position, the AI is supposed to naturally figure out the circumstances rather than it being a variable given to them upon the start of that play? Like, the script aspect here is that they're trapped in "corner mode"?

Feel like it's be an utterly crazy waste of resources to insist upon the idea that the AI needs to totally figure out the start point when you can just give it a value? Sounds like the kind of thing upper management would insist upon out of total ignorance that's just a totally impossible challenge for overworked employees, so they ignore it while the company continues to promise the moon on a stick to customers and blame the devs for when stuff like this happens.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: peanutbutter on February 14, 2020, 11:09:25 PM
So hold on, "scripting" in the case of that video means that the play starts from a corner position, the AI is supposed to naturally figure out the circumstances rather than it being a variable given to them upon the start of that play? Like, the script aspect here is that they're trapped in "corner mode"?

You're overthinking it. "FIFA scripting" is effectively a conspiracy theory that the game decides who should and shouldn't win arbitrarily, in this case by awarding an illegal and undefendable goal, instead of the result coming as a result of player input. It's scripted in the sense a TV show is. There's no deep thought towards actual technicalities of the programming script, such as how the AI players are programmed to determine whether it's a corner or not, involved in the theory. Not that anyone outside EA would know how players decide what to do anyway, since AFAIK no recent FIFA code has been leaked or made publicly available.

In this case, to me it's more likely the game just shit out it's own insides. What I do find odd is that to my knowledge there hasn't been significant changes to the FIFA engine in at least 3 years, so this shit kinda shouldn't be happening at this point. More generally I don't have an opinion on whether FIFA scripting is real or not because I gave up on Ultimate Team mode in 2017. I'm also a complete scrub, so if it does exist, it was probably helping me anyway.

Ferris

Quote from: Dewt on February 14, 2020, 11:06:34 PM
I often think about how AI in realistic sports games works and the stuff described above is exactly the kind of thing I would come up with. I wouldn't want to play the game that doesn't do this because it would be as unbalanced as shit.

EA are pricks but this sounds to me like people are throwing fits about their games not being precise physical simulations that would be shit to play.

You wouldn't. I play a lot of MLB: The Show (because of course I fucking do) and this happens all the time and is infuriating. I think I mentioned it upthread - occasionally a throw to first base will be miles off for no reason, or sitting waiting for a fastball to your pull-side, fouling off 6 pitches until you get it, squaring it up perfectly and hammering it to the fences (which the games tracks and confirms, that was "perfect" mate) and the ball drifts right into an outfielders glove. Sorry no home run for you, for no reason. Other times you'll do the same thing and the ball will go 460'. There's no internal logic to it, the game just decides for you.

evilcommiedictator

Finally figured out one I would be happy to put here. Fallout 4

Marner and Me

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 15, 2020, 12:10:42 AM
You wouldn't. I play a lot of MLB: The Show (because of course I fucking do) and this happens all the time and is infuriating. I think I mentioned it upthread - occasionally a throw to first base will be miles off for no reason, or sitting waiting for a fastball to your pull-side, fouling off 6 pitches until you get it, squaring it up perfectly and hammering it to the fences (which the games tracks and confirms, that was "perfect" mate) and the ball drifts right into an outfielders glove. Sorry no home run for you, for no reason. Other times you'll do the same thing and the ball will go 460'. There's no internal logic to it, the game just decides for you.
Try playing NHL, night mare at times when defending it is best just to let go of the controller. I think the oppo team loose possession on purpose.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I remember older versions of Fifa where during a league season there would be strange moments in game where it suddenly felt as though you were being prevented from having your commands carried out, invariably resulting in a goal against your team. A tackle you would normally make every time suddenly didn't work, or the player would sort of drift rather than engaging with the ball or the attacker.

Once I started noticing this I really turned up my efforts in those games.

bgmnts

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 15, 2020, 08:02:12 PM
I remember older versions of Fifa where during a league season there would be strange moments in game where it suddenly felt as though you were being prevented from having your commands carried out, invariably resulting in a goal against your team. A tackle you would normally make every time suddenly didn't work, or the player would sort of drift rather than engaging with the ball or the attacker.

Any fifa game after 08 I'd say.

kngen

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 14, 2020, 01:24:13 AM
Every fifa game has one or two of glaring holes that make it super easy.

'98 and '00, tapping circle in the box was an unsaveable slide rule pass into the bottom corner, '15 and '16 a "finesse" shot outside the penalty box (from about level with the 6yd box) lofts a gentle ball over the keeper and into the far corner of the net, one of the more recent ones you can score with cross+header incredibly easily.

The game becomes "how do I get the ball + a striker to [instant goal area]" and you end up bossing it and winning every game 8-0. Simultaneously satisfying and infuriating.

Fifa 20's meta seems to be 'Buy Marcus Rashford and run straight towards goal, knowing that - if the other player even manages to put a tackle in - the ball will bounce perfectly in front of him and he won't have to break stride before putting a rocket past the keeper'

They've also made getting Icons 'easier' by making it a joyless grind that has totally fucked up Division Rivals as elite players drop down several divisions to get the results they need. I thought I might jump ship to PES, but it just feels weird. Can't put my finger on it, but I didn't not enjoy playing that at all.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 15, 2020, 08:02:12 PM

Once I started noticing this I really turned up my efforts in those games.

Definitely around '04. I remember the same dreamlike state of "oh, must be their turn to score now"

Ferris

I beat the complete shit out of Enter the Matrix, and the Rugrats Game. I've played some stinkers over the years

C_Larence

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 16, 2020, 03:37:41 AM
I beat the complete shit out of Enter the Matrix, and the Rugrats Game. I've played some stinkers over the years

Same and I enjoyed them both more than a lot of other games I've played.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Aside from the driving levels, Enter the Matrix was very good fun. I never understood why it seemed to get such a bad reputation, unless it was tarnished by association with the sequel films.

evilcommiedictator

Enter the Matrix was a bit odd, there was another, Path of Neo which was much better, and featured this great cinematic before the final boss fight
https://youtu.be/mAK5AP-zbW8?t=1436
(and also explains why the average person doesn't get and hates the sequels after the good vs evil first movie)

peanutbutter

Enter the Matrix had an absolutely massive marketing campaign and was raced out to coincide with one of the films iirc (so it piggybacked off that marketing campaign too), the combo is it being a pretty thin game, coinciding with everyone realising the Matrix didn't need a sequel and being totally unavoidable for a few months beforehand made the backlash huge.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Aliens Colonial Marines. The only reason I stuck with it is because the noise the gun makes, as well as the scanner, is exactly the same as in Aliens. It's the best gun noise ever.

wooders1978

The telltale batman games were pretty guff, not only did I buy the first season and not enjoy it that much, I did the same thing with season 2 (or maybe they were ps+ titles at some point which would make more sense)

Anyway - a barman game which focuses on the adventures of Bruce Wayne? Ffs lads

C_Larence

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on February 17, 2020, 12:59:39 PM
Enter the Matrix was a bit odd, there was another, Path of Neo which was much better, and featured this great cinematic before the final boss fight
https://youtu.be/mAK5AP-zbW8?t=1436
(and also explains why the average person doesn't get and hates the sequels after the good vs evil first movie)

That's fantastic! Reminds me of the scenes where the pods talk in Nier Automata.