Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:58:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC up cost of TV licence

Started by DrGreggles, February 03, 2020, 07:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/03/bbc-confirms-3-rise-in-cost-of-tv-licence-from-april

Been looking at some of the Twitter outrage at this and am astonished at how many seem to believe that it's mandatory.
Plenty of "Why should I have to pay when I don't even watch TV?" comments, along with the more expected "Jimmy Savile" ones...

Cracking value for money IMO.  Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Cuellar

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 03, 2020, 07:42:38 PM
"Why should I have to pay when I don't even watch TV?"

Hahaha fucking brilliant. Idiots.

Sebastian Cobb

I've defended them for years, especially stuff like BBC Four, but given their current reporting I'm going to fuck them off. I never watch linear tv these days so sacking off iPlayer won't be too hard (and I can use get_iplayer and a proxy without logging in if I need to).

Jasha

QuoteThe cost of a TV licence will increase from £154.50 to £157.50 in April

£3 a year = 8p per day, I've paid more than that for a cup of coffee

Captain Z

Yeah, but you're also free to a) stop buying so much coffee and b) stop the paying the licence fee as well...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jasha on February 03, 2020, 07:50:52 PM

But the coffee was more nuanced and thought provoking

touchingcloth

I read about this earlier on Ceefax, which incidentally is the pseudonym I use when setting crosswords.

idunnosomename

i'd rather piss in my own mouth than consume any of the BBC's content now

I do wonder if BBC Sounds is a Springtime for Hitler operation

bgmnts

BBC still has some good stuff on its iplayer last I checked.

idunnosomename

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on February 03, 2020, 09:24:47 PM
BBC still has some good stuff on its iplayer last I checked.

This hoary old line.

A bit llwydfelyn of you Fozzy

bgmnts

As in Fozzy bear!?

Genuinely meant last I checked, as in over a year ago or so, watching Hypernormalisation

metaltax

Amazing how many people are frothing about this news, given that the rise was set by the Government and it was agreed and announced 4 years ago.

Cuellar

Are they? Do people really care?

thenoise

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 03, 2020, 07:50:20 PM
I've defended them for years, especially stuff like BBC Four, but given their current reporting I'm going to fuck them off. I never watch linear tv these days so sacking off iPlayer won't be too hard (and I can use get_iplayer and a proxy without logging in if I need to).

Haven't paid for years, used to feel guilty although I don't watch i player, the few shows I do watch eg inside no 9 and Attenborough I support by buying on DVD. But I do/did enjoy the radio and the website is still one of the least bad news websites (not saying much).

But yeah, following the election they can fuck off.

Sin Agog

They say that they're above advertisement, but then they tell us in advance when they raise the price of the licence fee.

Cold Meat Platter

The only things I've watched in the last year have been Vic and Bob and Partridge. And previous years it might have been just Stewart Lee. Sell me all those, tenner each thank you and goodbye.

Alberon

Well, it'll be gone soon enough so none of you will have to worry.

The current deal will run out in 2022 then the government will strip it down and sell it off.

olliebean

Quote from: Jasha on February 03, 2020, 07:50:52 PM

Maths needs work, there.

idunnosomename

Quote from: olliebean on February 03, 2020, 10:45:13 PM
Maths needs work, there.
for it being .8 pence a day or a cup of coffee being over 3 quid these days?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

all that propaganda won't pay for itself

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on February 03, 2020, 11:10:25 PM
all that propaganda won't pay for itself

Titter.

I want maximum pain top to middle

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 03, 2020, 07:42:38 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/feb/03/bbc-confirms-3-rise-in-cost-of-tv-licence-from-april

Been looking at some of the Twitter outrage at this and am astonished at how many seem to believe that it's mandatory.
Plenty of "Why should I have to pay when I don't even watch TV?" comments, along with the more expected "Jimmy Savile" ones...

What about people who don't watch TV but were happy to fund Savile's noncing?  It must be a right quandary for them.

DrGreggles

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on February 04, 2020, 08:21:55 AM
What about people who don't watch TV but were happy to fund Savile's noncing?  It must be a right quandary for them.

You mean BBC management?

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 04, 2020, 08:29:52 AM
You mean BBC management?

I'm willing to bet they all call it the 'telly tax'.  Before jumping into their Scrooge McDuck gold vaults and smoking rolled £50 notes. 

Butchers Blind

Remember those TV dectector vans?  Load of bollocks.

dissolute ocelot

I defend the BBC (mainly because no matter how bad it is, its enemies are worse) but then only watch about 1 hour a week. They did have naked people on BBC4 on Sunday night though, so all is forgiven.