Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:53:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Buster Merryfield falls over at The British Comedy Awards

Started by Tony Yeboah, February 04, 2020, 12:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

jesus he fucking faceplanted

like there was no attempt at all to stop himself

Kryton

Mobius

Sad Unc

Now we just need a decent quality rip of the Matthew Kelly Frank Skinner interview

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

A genuinely concerned Jonathon Ross in the Keith Chegwin role, there.

Billy

Not sure if I feel like watching the clip, but it really is one of my biggest childhood television memories - I remember genuinely thinking for a few seconds I'd just watched someone drop dead live on TV, and my parents exclaiming "Don't worry, he's just drunk" in relief afterwards.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Also a perplexed top Kevin Keegan lookalike Sasha Distel at the start, confusedly mispronouncing the word " booze?" at Jonathon Ross who had been trying to make a smartass remark, and then hurriedly , in an " oh, never fucking mind" stylee, gets yer man Distel to make the announcement. What a cracking, seasonally appropriate acceptance speech from the bloke who played the barman ( deceased), too!
Later that same show, Julian Clary came on, making his famous " I've just been backstage with Buster Merryfield- now It's not only his head he's bleeding from! " when the audience gave a Sasha Distel - like reaction of perplexity, he then added " He's also bleeding from his rectum now, 'cos I've just been shoving my fist up his arse! That stopped him going on about the war, I can tell you!".
Different times.

Nowhere Man

I love how the narrator's just like "ha ha oh goodness me" like the elderly Buster Merryfield decided to do a random comedy pratfall for a laugh.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Nowhere Man on February 04, 2020, 07:15:25 AM
I love how the narrator's just like "ha ha oh goodness me" like the elderly Buster Merryfield decided to do a random comedy pratfall for a laugh.

dIFFRN TIMMMMMESSS

Pseudopath

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I really miss the British Comedy Awards. I know it became a shadow of its former self post-Sachsgate/phone-in scandal and I genuinely couldn't give a fuck who won each category, but in its heyday it was a recipe for televised anarchy (although I realise that majority of those moments are probably Johnny Vegas going off-script and slagging off the sponsors for 10 minutes).

There was always the feeling that a bunch of pissed-up comics in a room could bring about a joyous moment.  Julian Clary and Norman Lamont's tryst with a fist, or Spike Milligan calling Chas Windsor a 'grovelling bastard' are the most well-known I'm guessing.

The Buster Merryfield clip is a wee bit sad tbf, as the man himself didn't touch alcohol his entire life, so this is a case of an elderly man falling over.  Which is only funny if the man is unlikeable, like Hitler, Mussolini or Bushell.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Pseudopath on February 04, 2020, 08:05:43 AM
Might be an unpopular opinion, but I really miss the British Comedy Awards. I know it became a shadow of its former self post-Sachsgate/phone-in scandal and I genuinely couldn't give a fuck who won each category, but in its heyday it was a recipe for televised anarchy (although I realise that majority of those moments are probably Johnny Vegas going off-script and slagging off the sponsors for 10 minutes).

Kathy Burke's acceptance speech was great too.
"About fucking time, eh?"
"The critics hated it but we had a laugh, so fuck 'em!"

In a fair world she would be Queen.

madhair60

petril

love how they send the OFAH 3rd XI up to collect the award, Cassandra, Mike and DUREN THE WAW

jobotic

Emily Thornberry won't be pleased about this footage resurfacing. She can clearly be seen nicking his wallet and legging it at 0:42

Annie Labuntur

I'm probably not the only one here who thought about that when Pacino fell over at the BAFTAs on Sunday.

Pacino is actually 3 years older than Buster was when he fell. Hard to say who does the best Cockney accent though.

idunnosomename

play it nice an cool son know what I mean

the vo laughs at him hahahaha

Cuellar

gilbertharding

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on February 04, 2020, 08:17:04 AM
The Buster Merryfield clip is a wee bit sad tbf, as the man himself didn't touch alcohol his entire life, so this is a case of an elderly man falling over.  Which is only funny if the man is unlikeable, like Hitler, Mussolini or Bushell.

And Johnathan Ross belying his image by seeming to be properly concerned for his welfare - which must have been difficult considering they were on stage in front of a crowd. The urge to make comedy out of it must have been strong, no matter how you'd react 'in real life'.

lankyguy95

Unfortunately everything about it is funny. The timing, as it switches from the long shot back to his camera a split second after he begins his descent, the fact that he drops like a statue of a great dictator finally toppling over after some impressive work from rebel protesters, and then of course the voiceover guy treating it like a comedy prat fall.

Buster Merryfield falls over a chair and Jonathan Ross makes a face.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Puce Moment on February 04, 2020, 02:11:28 PM
haha stupid fucking old cunt

Bwa-ha-ha! I was going to quote this in The Last CaB post that made you GUFFAW out loud thread, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as effective outside the context of the above hand-wringing replies.

Thanks for the belly laugh anyway.