Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:29:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Buster Merryfield falls over at The British Comedy Awards

Started by Tony Yeboah, February 04, 2020, 12:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metaltax

A bit off-topic but, at the 1993 "Clary/Lamont" awards, does anyone remember Jasper Carrott coming up to announce a winner in a really foul mood and basically saying to Jonathan Ross "No, you might as well do it"? That's my lasting memory of that night, and my impression was that it was just after Julian Clary's speech and that Carrott was basically disgusted by it and didn't want to take part?

neveragain

This reminds me, I caught a few fleeting sections of a Channel 5 "awards go terribly wrong" show the other day and saw Jeremy Beadle verbally tussling with Jonathan Ross. Does anyone know what that was about?

gilbertharding

DrGreggles

Quote from: metaltax on February 04, 2020, 02:44:44 PM
A bit off-topic but, at the 1993 "Clary/Lamont" awards, does anyone remember Jasper Carrott coming up to announce a winner in a really foul mood and basically saying to Jonathan Ross "No, you might as well do it"? That's my lasting memory of that night, and my impression was that it was just after Julian Clary's speech and that Carrott was basically disgusted by it and didn't want to take part?

I had that whole show on VHS for a while.
Pretty sure that Carrott's non-plussedness(?) was a joke - or at least an attempt at one.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: neveragain on February 04, 2020, 03:45:50 PM
This reminds me, I caught a few fleeting sections of a Channel 5 "awards go terribly wrong" show the other day and saw Jeremy Beadle verbally tussling with Jonathan Ross. Does anyone know what that was about?

Take a look at Reply #5 in this old thread https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=25044.0

jobotic

QuoteHe certainly deserved a better farewell headline than The Sun's "BEADLE'S NOT ABOUT" anyway.

Was that real? I hate myself for laughing at a Sun headline.

DangledTeeth

Jonathan: Maybe you'we the same Hawwy 'Bustah' Mewwyfield who toppled ovah at the BAFTA Awawds 1992. May-beee you'we the same Hawwy Bustaw Mewwyfield who, in 1986, fell ovah at the 58th Academy Awards, Dowothy Chandleh Pavilion in Los Angeles. How about the BWIT Awawds? Or pehhaps the Lauwence Olivieh Awawds wings a bell?

Harry: Ar'm sorry, Jonathan, sahn. Ar fink ar've jast shit meself.

Rolf Lundgren

From the accounts before this video surfaced, I thought he had blood squirting out of his head onto a shocked first row. Jonathan Ross handled that surprisingly well.

I always like the British Comedy Awards too. It was weird when you had the very mainstream sitcoms up against the modern, alternative stuff and in the audience you'd have the cast of 2 Point 4 Children and Rik Mayall. It slowly evolved from a respectful, almost formal ceremony with Eric Sykes in a tux to Kevin Bishop throwing a beer bottle at The Inbetweeners.

non capisco

idunnosomename

i'm struggling to understand what happened to wossy after Sachsgate. I guess he just had enough money and just does bits and bobs for ITV now?

petril

idunnosomename

Quote from: Pseudopath on February 04, 2020, 08:15:55 PM
Yep...unbelievable:

Free Only Fools DVD. Remember those halcyon days when newspapers gave you free DVDs that now fill charity shops and car boots. The circle is complete

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 04, 2020, 08:14:07 PM
i'm struggling to understand what happened to wossy after Sachsgate. I guess he just had enough money and just does bits and bobs for ITV now?

He still does his chat show but the calibre of guests is usually Gordon Ramsay, Rob Beckett and someone from ITV you haven't heard of.

Dusty Substance

We're so sorry, Uncle Albert
We're so sorry if we caused you any pain
We're so sorry, Uncle Albert
But there's no one left at home, and I believe I'm gonna rain

:(

kalowski

I bet he field (feels) less than merry after he buster (bust) his head like that.

Kryton

Uncle Albert's serious head injury.

Del: Oi Oi Rodders, listen 'ere, I've got Monkey Harris popping around in about half an hour and I'm supposed to sort your Uncle, your dear Uncle, Our dear Uncle out for his commode. But here's the thing you see. As he's, dare I say it a vegetable from his head injury. I'd like to... Well y'know give YOU Rodders, eh? Give you, the opportunity to learn what it's like to clean his bum.

Rodders: Yeah but Del. I don't wanna clean his bum.

Del: Ah but that's the thing innit Rodney. Nobody wants to clean his bum.

Trigger: I'll clean his bum.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on February 04, 2020, 08:45:55 PM
He still does his chat show but the calibre of guests is usually Gordon Ramsay, Rob Beckett and someone from ITV you haven't heard of.

Ross has been coasting for years on that show, picking up a substantial pay cheque until he decides to retire. So in that sense he's almost followed Letterman's career to a T: early cult success as the host of an irreverent late night chat show (entirely modelled on Letterman's shows, of course) capped with a lengthy autumnal phase where he just goes through the motions until he can't be bothered anymore.

The middle bit of Ross' career doesn't mirror Letterman's career at all, but I shan't let that get in the way of my glib theory.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 04, 2020, 08:14:07 PM

He keeps on turning up / embarrassing himself on panel shows, and was recently a judge on Comedy Central's Roast Battle where he came across as a mix of a creepy uncle and out of date Granddad, I can't stand the man now and the one thing which would stop me watching Taskmaster is if he was announced as a contestant.

idunnosomename

christ i honestly didnt know he had an ITV version of his show still going. kin hell. still, he's genuinely nice to Buster in the clip so whatever

also I've seen people fall over badly and laughed. it's a weird reflex. it doesn't necessarily mean you're a cunt. although perhaps I am a cunt

gilbertharding

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 04, 2020, 11:17:21 PM
He keeps on turning up / embarrassing himself on panel shows, and was recently a judge on Comedy Central's Roast Battle where he came across as a mix of a creepy uncle and out of date Granddad, I can't stand the man now and the one thing which would stop me watching Taskmaster is if he was announced as a contestant.

He was on the first episode of Hypothetical last night - a weird show which Dave seem to be pinning their hopes on filling Taskmaster's boots. Advertised all on social media and everything.

Entirely laugh-free.

Couple of questions about Hypothetical, before this becomes a very short [split topic] thread: Have they done something to the format - because I don't remember the first series being like that, and has Josh Widdicombe lost weight? My wife genuinely wondered if he was ill.

dr_christian_troy

I'd like to think pissed-up Uncle Albert disagreed with what was considered to be "Funniest Moment" and thought FUCK THAT as he tied his own shoelaces together and fell on his face on his way to the stage. Unfortunately he didn't anticipate Mark Lamarr kicking him in the face when he was down.

His trousers didn't fall down though. 4/10

Love the smooth way that Merryfield used to walk in real life. He used to live in the New Forest, so I'd often see him with his wife, gliding up and down Bournemouth pier like a bearded pink Dalek when I was a teenager.

idunnosomename

wasn't it up against One Foot in the Grave's "4291" moment? What is actually funny about Del and Rodney dressed up as Batman and Robin anyway. haha they are mistaken for the REAL batman and robin fuck off. earnestly trying to speak into a tiny dog all the way

koeman

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on February 05, 2020, 07:23:21 PM
I love this blog.

https://vhistory.wordpress.com/2020/02/04/the-british-comedy-awards-1997-tape-2657/

Thanks a million for posting this. Not only did I enjoy reading it, but the first comment (the one about Graham Cole) has laid to rest something that's been bugging me for years!

I wonder if any of the Only Fools Dining Experiences incorporate a Buster fall into their act.