Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:17:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Buster Merryfield falls over at The British Comedy Awards

Started by Tony Yeboah, February 04, 2020, 12:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Uncle Skeleton

It's a bit of a game, diners try to trip him as he passes.

dr_christian_troy

When I first read the thread title, I thought it was Buster intentionally reenacting his "falling down the cellar" routine from OFAH episode Hole In One. Although this is not the case, it's interesting to see that if falling over a single step caused a black eye and busted brow pulsating with blood gushing out of his face, it's safe to assume that falling into a cellar would have actually ended in death.

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on February 04, 2020, 08:17:04 AMThe Buster Merryfield clip is a wee bit sad tbf, as the man himself didn't touch alcohol his entire life, so this is a case of an elderly man falling over.  Which is only funny if the man is unlikeable, like Hitler, Mussolini or Bushell.

There's a snooker podcast out this week that categorically states Merryfield attended a tournament in Bournemouth and got completely plastered.

Glebe

Apparently he was a bank manager and an artist before landing the role of Uncle Albert.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 06, 2020, 09:44:49 AM
He was on the first episode of Hypothetical last night - a weird show which Dave seem to be pinning their hopes on filling Taskmaster's boots. Advertised all on social media and everything.

Entirely laugh-free.

Couple of questions about Hypothetical, before this becomes a very short [split topic] thread: Have they done something to the format - because I don't remember the first series being like that, and has Josh Widdicombe lost weight? My wife genuinely wondered if he was ill.

isnt that the one where the lad from pappys nicked the concept from danielle ward's do the right thing and pitched it to dave behind her back?

all the worst to that show

Bad Ambassador

Pappy's are the worst live act I've ever seen, and I've heard other stories about their cuntishness.

Mr Trumpet

My great-grandmother's maiden name was Merryfield. And she was from South London. So he's probably my great-uncle or something, you 'orrible lot.

JamesTC

This thread made me think about the video that YouTube keeps recommending I watch.

To be honest, I am quite curious what Buster Merryfield and Roger Lloyd Pack look like now. I imagine they have changed quite a bit since they were in Only Fools and Horses.

Phil_A

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on January 22, 2021, 11:31:54 AM
Pappy's are the worst live act I've ever seen, and I've heard other stories about their cuntishness.

Particularly the way they dealt with their now-ex fourth member from back when they were "Pappy's Fun Club".

thr0b

Quote from: JamesTC on January 22, 2021, 12:24:30 PM
This thread made me think about the video that YouTube keeps recommending I watch.

To be honest, I am quite curious what Buster Merryfield and Roger Lloyd Pack look like now. I imagine they have changed quite a bit since they were in Only Fools and Horses.

Mike The Barman And The Racist Petrol Station Owner From Off Of Brookside probably has looked better as well.

up_the_hampipe

Recently wasted some time watching this old "Best of the British Comedy Awards" thing that aired on ITV in 2006 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVBfQwJ4uzs

It's a fascinating little time capsule. The X Factor won a British Comedy Award one year. Ant & Dec were always winning as well, despite never having said or done anything funny on purpose. It became much less of a joke when the awards moved to Channel 4, but the ceremonies got much worse. They've not done one for years and I don't think anyone misses it, especially comedians. 

neveragain

Quote from: Phil_A on January 22, 2021, 12:29:43 PM
Particularly the way they dealt with their now-ex fourth member from back when they were "Pappy's Fun Club".

Ooh, go on...

thr0b

Don't think there's much to say; it was dealt with during one of the Slamdown episodes - they sacked him as a business decision, IIRC. Something along the lines of he was too similar to one of the other members, so off he went. Almost certainly more to it than that.

I like Pappys stuff, and Flatshare Slamdown is always a good listen. So there.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 22, 2021, 03:24:44 PMAnt & Dec were always winning as well, despite never having said or done anything funny on purpose
I can in all sincerity say I believe the award/s they got for SM:TV Live were well deserved.

thr0b

QuoteIt is, however, possible to lose a lot more than that. "I got an email telling me I was no longer part of the group," explains Dodds, formerly of Pappy's Fun Club. "It's difficult, losing your job and your friends in one fell swoop."

Parry feels similarly. He "still finds it difficult" to talk about the split. He insists it was a purely professional decision one moment, then calls it "very personal" the next, "exactly like a break-up." At one point, he has to grit himself against crying. "I do really regret how much it upset him, but I don't regret the decision."

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/aug/18/what-happens-when-sketch-comedy-troupes-split-up

Ja'moke

I miss the British Comedy Awards, especially when it was live. It always had a chaotic, anything-can-happen energy to it.

Does anyone have the clip of Johnny Vegas' rant about modern comedy, I think he threw a few shots in at Gervais. I can't remember which year it was though.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 22, 2021, 03:58:56 PM
I miss the British Comedy Awards, especially when it was live. It always had a chaotic, anything-can-happen energy to it.

Does anyone have the clip of Johnny Vegas' rant about modern comedy, I think he threw a few shots in at Gervais. I can't remember which year it was though.

I think that was 2013. A great moment in a very awkward night. It's strange how the energy of the show died when it moved to Channel 4, you'd think they'd encourage more chaos. There seemed to be a sense of embarrassment among comedians that the awards still existed.

thr0b

Didn't Channel 4 basically take it on as a favour to a mate?

Captain Z

Quote from: JamesTC on January 22, 2021, 12:24:30 PM

However, Nick Frost has barely changed a bit.

Mobbd

Quote from: Pseudopath on February 04, 2020, 08:15:55 PM
Yep...unbelievable:

Beadle's Not About. Fucking hell. Strange that they used the Wish You Were Here font too. He wasn't even in that.

Can anyone manage a You've Been Framed-themed version? Best I can come up with is You've Been Put in a Coffin and Incinerated.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: thr0b on January 22, 2021, 03:39:34 PM
Don't think there's much to say; it was dealt with during one of the Slamdown episodes - they sacked him as a business decision, IIRC. Something along the lines of he was too similar to one of the other members, so off he went. Almost certainly more to it than that.

I like Pappys stuff, and Flatshare Slamdown is always a good listen. So there.

i like their podcasts, but an curious about their cuntitude - would a pappyscunts? tread be a bit too oldschool?

Ja'moke

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 22, 2021, 04:42:55 PM
I think that was 2013. A great moment in a very awkward night. It's strange how the energy of the show died when it moved to Channel 4, you'd think they'd encourage more chaos. There seemed to be a sense of embarrassment among comedians that the awards still existed.

Thanks. I found it on Dailymotion - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7qyjr5 (Vegas bit starts at the 6 minute mark)

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 22, 2021, 03:24:44 PMAnt & Dec were always winning as well, despite never having said or done anything funny on purpose.

Bollocks, Dec has funny bones.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 22, 2021, 05:11:12 PM
i like their podcasts, but an curious about their cuntitude - would a pappyscunts? tread be a bit too oldschool?

Their Patreon lockdown podcast had a feature inviting listeners to write in with their anecdotes about when members of Pappy's had been cunts to them, so there's every chance they'll join in.

lipsink

I remember seeing Pappy's at the Fringe in 2010 and it was mostly pretty good though the audience didn't seem to find their planned mistakes and corpsing as funny as they did.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: thr0b on January 22, 2021, 03:45:17 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/aug/18/what-happens-when-sketch-comedy-troupes-split-up

Quote"I don't envy them their success," he says. "They've earned it. But I hope they never achieve mega-stardom. Nobody wants to be the fifth Beatle."

The "don't envy them their success" thing is quite funny in retrospect now that they're scratching around on Patreon and he's Director of Marketing for a fancy looking US company.

Cuellar

Quote from: Mobbd on January 22, 2021, 05:07:28 PM
Beadle's Not About. Fucking hell. Strange that they used the Wish You Were Here font too. He wasn't even in that.

Can anyone manage a You've Been Framed-themed version? Best I can come up with is You've Been Put in a Coffin and Incinerated.

You've Been Graved

lipsink

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 22, 2021, 06:10:08 PM
The "don't envy them their success" thing is quite funny in retrospect now that they're scratching around on Patreon and he's Director of Marketing for a fancy looking US company.

Maybe if they asked nicely he could give them a few quid.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 22, 2021, 06:10:08 PM

And he doesn't have to live with being Matthew Crosby either, so win-win for him.