Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:38:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Buster Merryfield falls over at The British Comedy Awards

Started by Tony Yeboah, February 04, 2020, 12:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BritishHobo

I've only skimread the thread but personally I think it's disgusting that the comedian Pappy is still being employed after pushing such a national treasure down the stairs.

DrGreggles

I like Pappy's.
They don't do highbrow (by any stretch), but they're very silly and sometimes that's what's needed.
BTW, I've met two of them and they were both lovely.

Some of Pappy's Flatshare podcast could be really funny if self-indulgent, but Tom seems like the only natural comedian of the trio. Badults was painful, from what I remember.

thenoise

Quote from: Ja'moke on January 22, 2021, 05:16:42 PM
Thanks. I found it on Dailymotion - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7qyjr5 (Vegas bit starts at the 6 minute mark)

Just as exciting rewatching seven years later. Vegas is a hit and miss stand up but this is absolutely perfect.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mobbd on January 22, 2021, 05:07:28 PM
Beadle's Not About. Fucking hell. Strange that they used the Wish You Were Here font too. He wasn't even in that.

Can anyone manage a You've Been Framed-themed version? Best I can come up with is You've Been Put in a Coffin and Incinerated.

"You've Been Claimed... By the Reaper"?

Jackson K Pollock

You've Been Graved
Grave for a Laugh
Beadle's a-Grave
Beadle's Box of Graves
Win Beadle's Grave

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Beadle's About To Be Cremated/ Buried.
( you would have had to make this comment at a very specific time, orbviously)

Mobbd

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on January 23, 2021, 09:12:47 AM
You've Been Graved
Grave for a Laugh
Beadle's a-Grave
Beadle's Box of Graves
Win Beadle's Grave

After studying this masterclass, I feel confident enough to join in.

One Foot in the Beadle.

neveragain

Quote from: thenoise on January 22, 2021, 08:56:30 PM
Just as exciting rewatching seven years later. Vegas is a hit and miss stand up but this is absolutely perfect.

Brilliant speech from Vegas. It's also funny seeing how everyone copes with him knocking everything out of time. Especially poor Coogan who is baffled to be cut off and pushed to E4.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: thenoise on January 22, 2021, 08:56:30 PM

That was dynamite! I love Johnny Vegas but was put off when talked all over the acceptance speech of a best newcomer one year, Kris Marshall IIRC. Not a cool thing to do. This rant makes up for it.

Won't lie, I got a little emotional when Paul Whitehouse dedicated his award to Felix Dexter.

Twonty Gostelow

Yes, that was nice. I think he'd died just a matter of weeks before that.

Quote from: neveragain on January 23, 2021, 06:51:01 PM
Especially poor Coogan who is baffled to be cut off and pushed to E4.

I've never seen that before but the Coogan ending is so like the Dante Fires speech I wonder if he thought they were taking the piss. Embarrassingly awkward, but nice to see Wogan Ross shitting himself.

DrGreggles

Johnny did another great BCA performance when he presented an award the year after winning Best Newcomer: https://youtu.be/d3yTHjQRrVs

Glebe

Crikey, this is news to me!:

When Buster worked with Lennard Pearce.

Wow! I thought I'd heard/read that Uncle Albert was Merryfield's first TV role, so that fact that he was in this with Leannard Pearce (and Roy 'Danny Driscoll' Marsden) is very surprising. Joss Ackland also involved.

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: metaltax on February 04, 2020, 02:44:44 PMA bit off-topic but, at the 1993 "Clary/Lamont" awards, does anyone remember Jasper Carrott coming up to announce a winner in a really foul mood and basically saying to Jonathan Ross "No, you might as well do it"? That's my lasting memory of that night, and my impression was that it was just after Julian Clary's speech and that Carrott was basically disgusted by it and didn't want to take part?

Full 1993 show now available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zIXZZWr-sQ

4 mins: Great visual gag from Clive Anderson
10 mins: Hulk Hogan talks Gary Glitter
72 mins: Eddie Izzard meets Danny La Rue
78 mins: Carrott, maybe a bit annoyed at being told to hurry things along
103 mins: Clary

jobotic

Quote from: millwall32 on January 31, 2021, 07:14:11 PMIt's not even so much the fall and the blood, it's the one word speech: "Comedy".

It's also Merryfield saying "likewise" in the voice of Derek from Vic n Bob's Tom Fun & Derek

lauraxsynthesis

Quote from: thenoise on January 22, 2021, 08:56:30 PMJust as exciting rewatching seven years later. Vegas is a hit and miss stand up but this is absolutely perfect.

Wow, brutal stuff. And very, very funny. I love every second of this from everyone involved. I used to love the BCA.

Menu

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on January 31, 2022, 12:41:29 AMFull 1993 show now available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zIXZZWr-sQ

4 mins: Great visual gag from Clive Anderson
10 mins: Hulk Hogan talks Gary Glitter
72 mins: Eddie Izzard meets Danny La Rue
78 mins: Carrott, maybe a bit annoyed at being told to hurry things along
103 mins: Clary

Ooooh great spot. Jasper is clearly fuming before he's even come on. I guess, because they're running late, he must have been told backstage that he can't do some bit that he'd prepared for his appearance. And he isn't even allowed to read the noms out in case he draws it out too long. He's getting laughs but that is one fuming carrot. It's around the time he retired from being on the box isn't it?

Hugl

Does anyone remember when Have I Got News For You won one year and Rob Brydon, who was presenting the award, went to quietly whisper in Wossys ear "Oh what a shame! Paul isn't here!" but it was picked up on one of their lapel mics.

I think the director of the award must have said something like "We heard that!" and Woss is like "What? I can't hear you"

I always wanted to know why Brydon seemed to dislike Paul Merton in that moment.

Menu

Roughly how long ago was it? Was he definitely saying it sarcastically? Maybe it was just after the Deayton stuff in which Merton was excessively nasty to the extent that, for example, Stephen Fry refused to ever go on the show again.

Menu

Ooooh I love things like this. Celebs arguing about stuff and getting all aggro. Like someone else said earlier I used to really enjoy the Comedy Awards. There'd nearly always be something mad going on, everyone was drunk/coked up, and the script was by Danny Baker.

Hugl

Quote from: Menu on February 01, 2022, 07:02:03 AMRoughly how long ago was it? Was he definitely saying it sarcastically? Maybe it was just after the Deayton stuff in which Merton was excessively nasty to the extent that, for example, Stephen Fry refused to ever go on the show again.

It was 2009, I'm trying to find the full show. Pretty sure it happens right after this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKNsU67chjI

Menu

Quote from: Hugl on February 01, 2022, 10:27:54 PMIt was 2009, I'm trying to find the full show. Pretty sure it happens right after this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKNsU67chjI

Hope you find it.

Does anyone else remember the 2008 show? It was immediately post-Sachsgate so Jonathan Ross couldn't host it. And for whatever reason they decided to replace him with notably scandal-free Angus Deayton. He'd hardly been on tv at all since his DISGRACEFUL treatment by his colleagues on HIGNFY so it was quite a big moment for comedy nerds. He did ok but you could tell he was really nervous, his hands were shaking and he fluffed quite a few lines. It was a bit sad to watch at times actually. He had always been so supremely confident before so it was a bit like seeing Muhammed Ali box when he clearly had neurological problems. Hardly seen Deayton since then as well.