Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:59:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brian Wilson vs Mike Love - the neverending saga

Started by Nowhere Man, February 04, 2020, 01:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nowhere Man

So next in the ongoing rivalry of Beach Boys' Brian Wilson and Mike Love..

On Wednesday 5th February, the Beach Boys are headlining at the Safari Club International Convention in Reno, Nevada, at which Donald Trump Jr is the keynote speaker.

Carl and Dennis Wilson have refused to comment, but i'm sure they'd be turning in their waves! (See what I did there?)

QuoteBrian Wilson: It has been brought to my attention that on Wednesday February 5, The Beach Boys touring group licensed by Mike Love are headlining at the Safari Club International Convention in Reno, Nevada. This organization supports trophy hunting, which Both Al and I are emphatically opposed to. There's nothing we can do personally to stop the show, so please join us in signing the petition at

https://www.change.org/p/beach-boys-stop-supporting-trophy-hunting?fbclid=IwAR2ggUXSm-NaAy2MMQpuBqh7-YzTzDpvO03dkT4IGjbYMWS5Z6CGXO8_BII&use_react=false

Update: Mike "cunt" Love's response:

Quote"We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, support freedom of thought and expression as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans," Mike Love responded in a statement.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Shaky

Love is such a fascinating piece of shit. His thin skin, his contradictory beliefs, his obsession with hiding the baldness everyone knows is there, his insistence on keeping the Beach Boys perpetually mired in the past, his piggy dead eyes, that fucking shirt.

bgmnts

Imagine being an animal loving Beach Boys fan now? What do you do? Fuck.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Shaky on February 04, 2020, 01:45:39 AM
Love is such a fascinating piece of shit. His thin skin, his contradictory beliefs, his obsession with hiding the baldness everyone knows is there, his insistence on keeping the Beach Boys perpetually mired in the past, his piggy dead eyes, that fucking shirt.

Not to mention wearing a hat with his own name on it. Unless his memory is just going.

Neomod

If he's playing with them I hope John Cowsill wears his Beach Boys/Black Flag T shirt.

Nowhere Man

Mike Love has officially issued a response, as quoted from the updated Pitchfork article:
https://pitchfork.com/news/brian-wilson-opposes-mike-loves-beach-boys-show-at-trophy-hunting-convention/

QuoteMike Love: "We look forward to a night of great music in Reno and, as always, support freedom of thought and expression as a fundamental tenet of our rights as Americans," Mike Love responded in a statement.

CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT

ajsmith2

I like Mike (as a Beach Boy, not as a politically or temperamentally aspirational man) and tbh have long found a lot of the vitriol that has come his way from some quarters of Beach Boys fandom completely deranged to the extent that it dwarfs his own flaws, but damn if he doesn't make himself hard to defend with any nuance when he pulls shite like this. Hasn't he always banged the environmental drum in his lyrics, from 'Don't Go Near The Water', to 'Pacific Ocean Blue' on Dennis's solo album to 'Summer In Paradise?' Those principles all thrown away for cash, (perceived) esteem and shitey excuses like 'freedom of thought and expression'. Freedom's just another word for being a heartless cunt more like.

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on February 04, 2020, 01:46:52 AM
Imagine being an animal loving Beach Boys fan now? What do you do? Fuck.

Very like those fans of Gary Glitter who care about children.  It's a Sophie's Choice and no mistake.  :(

gilbertharding

Quote from: Neomod on February 04, 2020, 02:23:28 AM
If he's playing with them I hope John Cowsill wears his Beach Boys/Black Flag T shirt.

Is it wrong for me to want that t shirt?

Shaky

I'd like to think there was a conversation about that T-shirt, with John explaining to Mike who Black Flag where and - possibly - putting some of their music on.

I like to imagine Mike curling up into a ball and screaming for it to stop.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Shaky on February 04, 2020, 01:43:27 PM
I'd like to think there was a conversation about that T-shirt, with John explaining to Mike who Black Flag where and - possibly - putting some of their music on.

I like to imagine Mike curling up into a ball and screaming for it to stop.

I dunno, maybe Mike would be into it. He's up to speed with The Ramones these days, so it's not too much more of a leap to BF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1B8Xm3dsv0

Shaky

Quote from: ajsmith2 on February 04, 2020, 01:45:53 PM
I dunno, maybe Mike would be into it. He's up to speed with The Ramones these days, so it's not too much more of a leap to BF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1B8Xm3dsv0

Good Christ! To be fair, though, The Ramones had a big 60's influence so there's something familiar for Mike to get his beady little peepers around there.

Famous Mortimer

Imagine feuding about a band that's been going for 60 fucking years.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 04, 2020, 02:55:45 PM
Imagine feuding about a band that's been going for 60 fucking years.

There's a very similar long-term feud going on about Wishbone Ash between Martin Turner (who founded the band) and Andy Powell (who kept them going and has been their defacto leader for years).  But in that case only about four people care, and two of those are Turner and Powell.

Pink Floyd as well.  Every time I think that's been sorted, Roger Waters gets in a tizz about something petty and kicks it all off again.

Goldentony

mad how Mike can repeatedly outrank 'the one who was mates with Charles Manson and drowned trying to get back his old chest of drawers from a lake years after he'd thrown it in' in worst Beach Boys decisions

FredNurke

He tries harder.

The amazing thing is that it's managed to set almost the entire Beach Boys fan community against Love and the touring band. The one or two exceptions are disappearing completely up their own arses trying to defend Love, which is quite funny to watch.

Goldentony

How do you defeat a man who's arsed about in a Baywatch costume and released Kokomo and dances like he has? He's like the fucking flying missions in San Andreas made reality

Neomod

Quote from: FredNurke on February 04, 2020, 06:25:41 PM
He tries harder.

The amazing thing is that it's managed to set almost the entire Beach Boys fan community against Love and the touring band.

I'll have nothing bad said about the aforementioned BB drummer John Cowsill who's a sound fella and aged 13 played on this banger on Playboy after dark.

https://youtu.be/MjlML0HvpPU?t=412

Love can go piss up a rope though.

Brundle-Fly

I'm afraid I'm with Mike Love on this one. All animals must be either eaten or destroyed. I'm also a big fan of this track off of Friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2grITEgWKtw

Rolf Lundgren

Still not sure if this is worse than "Summer of Love".

Quote from: ajsmith2 on February 04, 2020, 10:12:47 AM
I like Mike (as a Beach Boy, not as a politically or temperamentally aspirational man) and tbh have long found a lot of the vitriol that has come his way from some quarters of Beach Boys fandom completely deranged to the extent that it dwarfs his own flaws, but damn if he doesn't make himself hard to defend with any nuance when he pulls shite like this. Hasn't he always banged the environmental drum in his lyrics, from 'Don't Go Near The Water', to 'Pacific Ocean Blue' on Dennis's solo album to 'Summer In Paradise?' Those principles all thrown away for cash, (perceived) esteem and shitey excuses like 'freedom of thought and expression'. Freedom's just another word for being a heartless cunt more like.

I like Mike as a Beach Boy too, their classic records wouldn't be the same without him. I don't think he's an evil man. But yeah, it's impossible to defend him against some of the OTT opprobrium he receives whenever he does something like this. And this is a new low.

Mike Love is an oddball prick, an egocentric hypocrite who's spent years pissing on the legacy of a band I don't think he's ever fully understood. He's not a talentless man, he's made significant contributions to some great music, but his lack of self-awareness and limited understanding of what made the Beach Boys so great (clue: it wasn't Mike Love arsing about on stage in a naff shirt and baseball cap) will always ensure that he comes across as a clueless, embarrassing clown.

As you say, Mike Love's 'philosophy' makes no sense. He appears to be genuinely concerned about environmental issues. He's devoted to Transcendental Meditation and, y'know, peace, love and that. But he's also a cynical, money-grabbing, right-wing cunt who doesn't see that there's anything wrong with supporting trophy hunting.

A strange cat, cognitive dissonance incarnate.

Nowhere Man

Mike wrote these lyrics once upon a time

QuoteWe live on the edge of a body of water
Warmed by the blood of the cold hearted
Slaughter of otter
Wonder how she feels mother seal
It's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue
The flagship of death is an old whaling trawler
The people are rising over whale killing crawlers
You gotta holler more
Wait a minute can't you see
You gotta let 'em be
Yeah it's no wonder the Pacific Ocean is blue
Yeah yeah yeah yeah
Water yeah water yeah water yeah
We love you Pacific Ocean blue
Yeah we love you Pacific Ocean Blue

He is honestly just such a bizarre man.

He presumably still believes in those sentiments, and yet... woohoo, let's kill animals for fun!

I hope someone dumps a dead lion on him during this show and his baseball cap falls off and everyone, Trump included, laughs at his bald head.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 04, 2020, 03:16:08 PM
There's a very similar long-term feud going on about Wishbone Ash between Martin Turner (who founded the band) and Andy Powell (who kept them going and has been their defacto leader for years).  But in that case only about four people care, and two of those are Turner and Powell.

Pink Floyd as well.  Every time I think that's been sorted, Roger Waters gets in a tizz about something petty and kicks it all off again.

https://twitter.com/SladeNews/status/1224447495310176259

Terribly sad, that sort of thing, especially with a band such as lovable, goodtime Slade.

Hill and Powell won't be as rich as the hitmaking songwriters Holder and Lea (presumably millionaires?), but they could surely make a very comfortable living off the back of royalties and playing gigs together? I'd attend a Hill/Powell Slade gig, at least you're getting half of the original line-up. But Dave Hill and a bunch of jobbing musos? No thanks.

The likes of Hill and Love don't really get it, do they?

Thanks to this thread, this first thing I thought about this morning was Mike Love curling out a really massive shite and, with what can only be described as a tragic sense of pride, calling the rest of the Beach Boys into the bathroom to have a look.

I know Brian Wilson's autobiography was ghostwritten by the truly evil Dr Landy, but that 'anecdote' really does sound like something Brian would've blurted out during whatever passed as research.

non capisco

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on February 05, 2020, 07:43:20 AM
Thanks to this thread, this first thing I thought about this morning was Mike Love curling out a really massive shite and, with what can only be described as a tragic sense of pride, calling the rest of the Beach Boys into the bathroom to have a look.

I'm actually slightly warming to him now.