Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:15:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wedding list du Jour

Started by Adrian Brezhnev, April 15, 2005, 10:12:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Tentacle

Quote from: "Rubella"
Quote from: "TraceyQ"Those scorpions give me The Fear.

Point of note, while we are talking about gifts, that is is my birthday in 10 (TEN) days time. I have a paypal account (pm for details) for gifts of cash, my shoe size is seven and I am a size 12( twelve). Please do not send jewellery as I wont wear it and I don't want to appear ungrateful. Thank you.

It's my birthday on Monday, Frinky's on Tuesday...lost of people I know are having birthdays soon too.
Edit: and butnut!
Um...as you were
I'd like a Pearl 5 piece drumkit with Zildjian cymbals for my birthday please.  In sparkly green.

It's my birthday on Sunday.

butnut

Is this the birthday season then? It's a friend of mine's today, my Dad's tomorrow, and my nephew's on Thursday.

Frinky

Quote from: "Rubella"Haha.  Gee, let me think....a De Lorean?

It'll need to be finished in transparent British Racing Green with chrome highlights, be Right Hand Drive, with a grey leather interior and 5-speed manual box. I'm getting a wee bit bored of yer garden variety 'Lorries.

Quote from: "Adrian Brezhnev"I'm sure I'm not the only one going to a wedding this summer.

The question is.... what to get a friend who already has everything he wants.

Don't be so rude.  Stop on about your birthdays.  You're not that important.

TraceyQ

I'm sorry.

I mean...

I'm sorry?

Rubella

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"
Quote from: "Rubella"I'd like a Pearl 5 piece drumkit with Zildjian cymbals for my birthday please.  In sparkly green.

I know a few drummer who have exploded.

Did they have the above kit that they would like to donate to me?

Cerys

Bah, wedding lists.  As mook says, they're out of date these days; and yet somehow people still seem to think that if they don't get the happy couple a matching set of six microwaves and a musical toaster, they'll be ostracised for evermore.  My mum and I have been talking about this quite a bit recently.  She's being asked by various relatives what presents we want, and the answer is ... we don't!  When we first got engaged (in 1999), we told everyone that if we actually went ahead and got married it'd only be for the party and the presents, but we just don't have enough space for any of the usual gumph.  So our 'wedding list', such as it is, is made up of a mortar and pestle, a metal icing tube, a kitchen timer ... and that's about it.  

Of course, if you're feeling cynical about what pressies to get a materialistic and demanding couple, you could always give them a security marking set, so they can label each vastly overpriced gift with the name of the partner whose friends provided it.  This saves a lot of argument in the event of a split....

What we've done for a couple of friends' weddings recently is buy them a mixed case of wine.  We've taken advice from the nice people at the Off-Licence and bought some wines to drink soon and some that will be at their peak in a year, some that will peak in five years, maybe one that will peak in ten etc.  Then printed out a brief decription of the wines with their recommended drinking years.  So on their various anniversaries they can select the appropriate wine and feel both romantic and pissed.  Or ignore us and drink them all immediately.

Adrian Brezhnev

Actually yes, he's a wine connoisseur, and that's probably a present that he'd appreciate more than most things.

However, buying a mixed case of wine with the kind of wine I'd want to put in it would probably cost around £150.. so perhaps a quarter-case would be more realistic.

Perhaps some Dutch wine would be in order- he almost certainly won't be getting that from anyone else.

Quote from: "Adrian Brezhnev"However, buying a mixed case of wine with the kind of wine I'd want to put in it would probably cost around £150.. so perhaps a quarter-case would be more realistic.

Nah, you can get perfectly fantastic wine for under £5 a bottle.

Adrian Brezhnev

Quote from: "The Man With Brass Eyes"
Quote from: "I"However, buying a mixed case of wine with the kind of wine I'd want to put in it would probably cost around £150.. so perhaps a quarter-case would be more realistic.

Nah, you can get perfectly fantastic wine for under £5 a bottle.
I know, but what do get at that price level that is good for laying down?

Maybe we should start a Wine Recommendations du Jour thread.

Quote from: "Adrian Brezhnev"Maybe we should start a Wine Recommendations du Jour thread.

Or you could use the one that's already been set up http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=7394&highlight=qki+cellar

Adrian Brezhnev

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I wrote the above.... I was hoping that someone had already set one up, but didn't get a chance to check.

Anyway, in the mean time, I have invited someone else to come to the wedding, and she's getting all excited about it. Except that she hasn't got a clue what to wear. Why is it that men always wear one of three outfits at a wedding, whereas the female of the species, despite the fact that they apparently have more imagination than us, and they're more intelligent and all that, and despite the fact that they have loads in the wardrobe, insist that they haven't and that they need to go and buy something new.

Luckily, I live 200 miles from her, so won't have to accompany her when she goes dress shopping.

Cerys

Quote from: "Adrian Brezhnev"Why is it that men always wear one of three outfits at a wedding, whereas the female of the species, despite the fact that they apparently have more imagination than us, and they're more intelligent and all that, and despite the fact that they have loads in the wardrobe, insist that they haven't and that they need to go and buy something new.

Because it's a great excuse for splurging on new stuff.

Adrian Brezhnev

Ah. I thought that might be the reason. Well, she's definitely the splurging type, which is probably why she's all excited about going to the wedding, even though she is convinced (I'm not) that she won't know anyone there.