Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:39:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ClickHole Bought by Cards Against Humanity

Started by Blumf, February 05, 2020, 12:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/katienotopoulos/cards-against-humanity-buys-clickhole
QuoteCards Against Humanity, the card game company, purchased ClickHole.com from its owners at G/O Media on Monday for an undisclosed amount in an all-cash deal, BuzzFeed News has learned. ClickHole's employees will become the majority owners of the site. Although terms were not disclosed, the Wall Street Journal reported in November that the sale price was likely to be less than $1 million. The Onion, which created ClickHole, will remain a part of G/O Media.

https://www.clickhole.com/

Haven't looked at it in a while, where'd all the chose your own adventure stories go?

idunnosomename

Bit odd as Cards is and always was shit for cunts. it's just money being moved around as far as I can tell, but funny how they're separated from the onion now.

Clickhole kind of served its purpose as mainstream clickbait is pretty much dead now. There's not the same shit of dumb quizzes to actively satiricise anymore.

alan nagsworth

Clickhole is and always was shit for cunts as well though so no big loss

Fry

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 05, 2020, 12:45:52 PM

Nah clickhole had some really funny shit back in its heyday. CAH has always been SFC though.

Thomas

ClickHole has made me laugh aloud many times, with some almost Morrisian pieces, and despite my expectations I enjoyed the Naughty Card Game when I played it for the first time recently with friends. I am a colossal twit, though.

alan nagsworth

To be honest I found all of that comedy journalism stuff to be total rubbish. Clickhole at least had the benefit of having content that was a bit more interesting than just a lolz headline with absolutely fuck all substance in the articles but it still wasn't very good.

mippy

CAH is only fun if played with posh older relatives ('Stuart, what is a bu-cake?'), otherwise it's like sitting next to a fifteen year old boy who thinks you aren't laughing at his dead baby jokes because you are too uptight and offended.

mippy

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 05, 2020, 01:05:18 PM
To be honest I found all of that comedy journalism stuff to be total rubbish. Clickhole at least had the benefit of having content that was a bit more interesting than just a lolz headline with absolutely fuck all substance in the articles but it still wasn't very good.

Someone I worked with  used to email round the office links from The Beaverton, a Canadian version that was entirely mirth-free and I suspect just as much so if one WAS Canadian.

Jumblegraws

I'm on team Clickhole.

I can't stand CAH, it's up there with The Darwin Awards as SfC coffee table nihilism. It also barely facilitates what could be done with pen and paper, which annoys me too.

alan nagsworth

CAH is made doubly shite by being one of those acceptably edgy things like Family Guy, so when people ask you if you want to play it or if you enjoy it and you say "not really" they get their backs up like as if you aren't lowbrow enough to get its subtle nuances. And then if you defend yourself by elaborating why it's shit you look like a snob. Fuck off it isn't funny and I'm allowed to think that. It's not my fault I understand comedy better than you do you fucking speck of aahhh I'm coming across like a snob again aren't I

Jumblegraws

I had a similar experience when I played it with my family, I kept doing a sarcastic "oooh, aren't we naughty?" face whilst everyone else was genuinely yucking it up, and so ended up being more obnoxious than the game itself.

PlanktonSideburns

loved clickhole

montage of people going halfway down the stairs and forgetting what they were coming down for

complaining about the poles to the ferriswheel being too hot to touch

Mister Six

CAH has been an alright laugh the couple of times I've played it. Not worth getting worked up about. But the people who run it do seem like a great bunch of lads. Case in point: ClickHole is now an employee-owned company.

Clickhole itself I haven't looked at in ages, but its archives include some of the funniest offbeat writing on the web.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/lifestyle.clickhole.com/6-things-everyone-experiences-when-they-go-through-seco-1825123336/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/quizzes.clickhole.com/which-one-of-my-garbage-sons-are-you-1825124556/amp

The current front page is quite weak, but I like this one:

https://www.clickhole.com/6-creatures-of-myth-and-folklore-that-are-squatting-in-1834582469

Aye, so basically you're all wrong.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

This reminds me of this story: https://news.avclub.com/guy-raises-thousands-of-dollars-to-mercilessly-parody-c-1833322285

QuoteThe game, which has raised $4, 056 of its $4, 500 Kickstarter goal at the time of writing, is a beautifully simple parody that is basically unplayable. It includes 18 cards, designed to emulate Cards Against Humanity's set-up. There is one black card that reads "I like playing offensive adult party games because ..." followed by a blank space. Players choose from 17 white "response cards", each printed with the same thing to fill in the blank with: "I lack creativity and enjoy the illusion of being funny."
Each to their own and all, but this guy is definitely a twat.

idunnosomename

The videos like ham goes up an escalator were fuckinv amazing

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

CAH gets old fast. Especially if you're a horrible horrible person and can think of far more offensive things than "Mecha Hitler" and "AIDS".

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

PlanktonSideburns

crossing threads has meant that i just watched that ham escalator video with this on as the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBH_0Nqp61w

ajsmith2

When I've played CAH I've tried to game it so the combinations are the most innocuous and inoffensive ones possible. It's a more challenging game that way, as well as being nicer. It becomes this ultimately impossible but nobly heroic struggle to try to make some good out of the relentlessly downbeat and shitty world (or 'cards ' if you will) you've been handed. Which, if you think about it, is reflective of all our best intentioned struggles in real life itself.

mippy

Apples to Apples, played for offence, is so so so much funnier.

Noodle Lizard

Adding to the Clickhole praise, some of it was as good as anything by "proper" comedy writers, and they'd put stuff out daily. Granted, there's only so long something like that can sustain my full interest, so I also haven't been on for a while.

I think this was the first thing I saw: https://www.clickhole.com/the-first-time-i-drank-gatorade-1833925111
Either that or the one where a child's near-death experience of heaven involved Jesus working out constantly trying to become "huge". Excellent stuff. Loved the endless Choose Your Own Adventure ones too, they certainly put the work in.

Thomas

'We Don't Know Where He Came From, But He Did A Great Job': Steven Spielberg Discusses The Mysterious, Slimy Man Who Played E.T.

Quote"We don't know where he came from, but he did a great job," Spielberg said, recalling a strange day during pre-production when a peculiar, slimy man waddled into a casting meeting and introduced himself as Carl Wozniak. "We'd originally planned to use a puppet for the part of E.T., but when Carl came along, we knew we'd found something special."

Carl Wozniak for fucks sake

Gurke and Hare

Thursday

Get fucked cunto

Cuellar

Terrible opinion!!