Author Topic: Kirk Douglas, RIP  (Read 614 times)

Blumf

• Not long now
    • IGNORE ME!!!
Kirk Douglas, RIP
« on: February 06, 2020, 12:25:22 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51394855
Actor Kirk Douglas, a fixture of cinema for six decades, has died aged 103.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000018/

And have to link this:
https://youtu.be/izy2ittIe7A

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
Re: Kirk Douglas, RIP
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 12:56:48 AM »
Dunno why, probably because it was one of those random stumble-upons you give way too much mental real estate because you're a teen and you ain't seen shit yet, but his debut The Strange Love of Martha Ivers used to be one of my favourite ever films when I was a wean.  Haven't seen it in awhile, but who debuted with an actually good movie in the mulish work-your-way-up Hollywood system back then?  Kirk Douglas did.

Only saw Brian De Palma's The Fury for the first time last year, but I loved that disjointed camel of a movie.  He plays a sexy old leatherdaddy who's screwed over by John Cassavetes right at the beginning of the movie.  It starts off kind of a comedy spy thing, only to morph into a lurid proto-Scanners.  Awesome fillum.

I vaguely remember seeing a film of his that must have come out before The Godfather in which he basically plays Michael Corleone.  A war vet son of a don drawn into the mafia world by his fam.  Bet it's comparatively a piece of shit, and how can he not be miscast in that role, but the parallels were pretty eerie.

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 12:57:07 AM »
Olivia de Havilland triumphant!

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 01:13:13 AM »
RIP shagger

Sin Agog

• Dogs fucked the pope; no fault of mine
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 01:15:13 AM »
Oy lay!

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 01:17:59 AM »
Thats a bold bit of sex talk that! Love it.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 02:08:49 AM »
103 is no age.

Someone had to make that crap joke.

Kirk was my first notion of what a Film Star and Proper Actor is. Grew up watching his films on TV and I was always mesmerised by his intensity and charisma. He wasn't one of those vanilla leading man actors, he always looked he'd tear your face off, laugh about it afterwards and then writhe around screaming on the floor.

Watch him in Billy Wilder's Ace In The Hole, an acidic critique of tabloid media exploitation. It hasn't dated a jot, it's an evergreen globule of bile.

He was also one of those lefty liberal pinko types, he stood up to the McCarthy witch-hunt and hired loads of tarnished writers and directors. A good man (probably).

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 02:14:48 AM »
Never seen an old film of his where he isn't generally fantastic fun to watch.
Ace in the Hole might be my favourite performance of his, where he plays a massive cunt journalist.

I hope Oscer gives him a classy send-off.
RIP

Phoenix Lazarus

• Why bother writing stuff below your avatar?
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 06:20:13 AM »

Only saw Brian De Palma's The Fury for the first time last year, but I loved that disjointed camel of a movie.  He plays a sexy old leatherdaddy who's screwed over by John Cassavetes right at the beginning of the movie.  It starts off kind of a comedy spy thing, only to morph into a lurid proto-Scanners.  Awesome fillum.

Seconded.  The last fifteen minutes are awesome.  Best comeuppances I've ever seen for a bad guy and bad gal.

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 07:50:10 AM »
He is top rate as a slimeball in Out of the Past.

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 08:10:01 AM »
Obviously he was at his best playing hard-nosed (and hard-chinned) sons-of-bitches in Noir and war films, but he was also excellent in one of my favourite glossy unrequited love films, Richard Quine's Strangers When We Meet

chveik

• JAZZ SNOB EAT SHIT
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 08:10:44 AM »
he was good as Ollie in The Thick of It.

Jerzy Bondov

• best not bother
    • righto so ive got five minutes off work and uh yeah im gonna have a cheeky volvic
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 09:08:49 AM »
Not a good time to bring it up but I always think about a very disrespectful joke made by Vic Reeves on Shooting Stars:
"True or false, Kirk Douglas has three arseholes... It's true. One in the usual place. One *points at chin* here. And his son, Michael"

RIP

Phoenix Lazarus

• Why bother writing stuff below your avatar?
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 12:05:10 PM »
I wonder how Jean Spangler's family are feeling.

Tags: