Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:08:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stranger having a go at me because my name isn't catholic or protestant

Started by Shit Good Nose, February 06, 2020, 12:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Sad to discover that weird aggressive secretarian guy turned out to be a cunt 😢

Bigfella

My late neighbour took his mate to a Glasgow bus depot in the 60s/70s to get him a job.  In those days you had to be a proddy to work on the buses.  The boss seemed to be into it and asked 'So whit's yer name, pal?'  'Paddy Murphy.'  'Get tae fuck.  Just get tae fuck.'  My neighbour then had to explain that Paddy was protestant, despite his name.  A funny thing - the city council was a catholic clique and they got their own back by making the buses have a green, cream and orange paint job which was pretty much a Republic of Ireland tricolour.  First time poster here, thought I'd join in because you seem like a decent crowd.  Mostly.

They were replaced with the bright orange buses during the Strathclyde days in the 80s and 90s, though, so the prods must've wrestled back control.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Bigfella on June 19, 2021, 08:33:12 PM
My late neighbour took his mate to a Glasgow bus depot in the 60s/70s to get him a job.  In those days you had to be a proddy to work on the buses.  The boss seemed to be into it and asked 'So whit's yer name, pal?'  'Paddy Murphy.'  'Get tae fuck.  Just get tae fuck.'  My neighbour then had to explain that Paddy was protestant, despite his name.  A funny thing - the city council was a catholic clique and they got their own back by making the buses have a green, cream and orange paint job which was pretty much a Republic of Ireland tricolour.  First time poster here, thought I'd join in because you seem like a decent crowd.  Mostly.

Seems like pretty lame revenge. Couldn't they have got their own back by ending their own discriminatory hiring practices given that the council ran the buses in those days?

Bigfella

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on June 19, 2021, 09:02:18 PM
They were replaced with the bright orange buses during the Strathclyde days in the 80s and 90s, though, so the prods must've wrestled back control.
I've noticed that a lot of Edinburgh buses are maroon, like Hearts colours.  Possibly a coincedence,  I'm not sure.

Bigfella

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 19, 2021, 09:32:26 PM
Seems like pretty lame revenge. Couldn't they have got their own back by ending their own discriminatory hiring practices given that the council ran the buses in those days?
You'd think.  Hard to prove I suppose, plus an overriding sense of 'we live in a bigoted city, what can you do?'

purlieu

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 06, 2020, 09:15:12 PM
Ditto - I don't like ANY sport at all, it just baffles me as to what entertainment people get from a ball going back and forth for two hours or being hit back and forth for two months, or watching a car or bike whizz by in a fraction of a millisecond - but, growing up in Bristol with Welsh parents and then moving near to and working in Bath, I was surrounded by football and rugby mad folk who just couldn't understand why i had no allegiance to any colour shirt, and then were amazed when I said I had no idea who whichever zillionaire footballer they were talking about was. 

I don't think people know how easy it is to avoid sport and everything about it.
I think it goes even deeper than that - a lot of people just assume everyone else understands everything they're into. When I worked at WH Smith I'd have questions about books, and although I was pretty well versed on our entire fiction department, a lot of the non-fiction stuff didn't stick in my brain. I worked in Tonbridge, and some athlete (Googled it, seems it was "Kelly Holmes") was from the area. I'll always remember the old lady who treated me with shock and disgust that I didn't know who she was when she was asking about a biography. As someone from the midlands who's not into sport, I had no idea, yet the woman basically told me I should know who she was because of how important she was. (edit: didn't seem like she was talking in a professional sense, it was very much a "pff, younger people these days know nothing!" type comment)

Which doesn't beat the woman who asked me about pilates books. I said I wasn't sure, and asked what it was so I knew what department to look in. Her face fell and she literally said "you don't know what pilates is??" She also sighed when I asked how to spell it. It got tiring having to bite my tongue in that job.

Glebe

Johnny Yesno

I know it's all a bit late in the day now but for anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation, the equality and diversity training I took at work recently recommends as a first step that you tell the person involved to desist from making that sort of comment and briefly explain to them why it makes you uncomfortable.

Making a note of the incident is recommended in case further incidents require escalation to a manager.

Obviously, this situation is complicated by the fact that SGN's manager was actually there at the time, but it sounds like he did the right thing.