Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stranger having a go at me because my name isn't catholic or protestant

Started by Shit Good Nose, February 06, 2020, 12:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

I would absolutely want a member of staff telling me if a new hire made them feel uncomfortable or were a legend gary or whatever. It's not like I'd sack them on the spot, but I'd keep an eye open and if they were toxic and needed a heave-ho then the probation period is the time to do it.

Even if they just need a quick word from me on what they should and shouldn't say (which people do from time to time) which is fine, I'd rather set those expectations early.

Non Stop Dancer

If you want to see what it looks like when someone thinks they're a zen master but is actually a huge cunt, look no further than Beulligan.

madhair60

zen?  More like BRA-zen!

edit: this is not a comment about Buelligan being a lady and therefore wearing a bra, but simply the word brazen. there is no second level to the wordplay, the use of "bra" is only because brazen starts with it. so don't fucking try it on, SJWs!!

imitationleather

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 06, 2020, 04:18:18 PM
I would absolutely want a member of staff telling me if a new hire made them feel uncomfortable or were a legend gary or whatever. It's not like I'd sack them on the spot, but I'd keep an eye open and if they were toxic and needed a heave-ho then the probation period is the time to do it.

Even if they just need a quick word from me on what they should and shouldn't say (which people do from time to time) which is fine, I'd rather set those expectations early.

It was just a casual thing - I mean we all see each other socially as well - and there was nothing official about it.  I certainly won't be making a complaint or anything.

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on February 06, 2020, 04:45:05 PM
If you want to see what it looks like when someone thinks they're a zen master but is actually a huge cunt, look no further than Beulligan.

I'd rather not turn this thread into that.  Enough has been said already I think.

Instead, does anyone else have any name related bust-up stories?

canadagoose

100% with the OP in reporting him, I'm afraid. He's clearly trying to be Billy Big Bollocks, stomping in like that and trying to get one-up on you. He needs taken down a peg.

madhair60

my name is Stuart so as you can imagine I get it from all sides. "Stewart " this and "Stewart" that. No it is fucking Stuart you cunts. spell it right. unreal. I suppose Buelligan will also have a problem with this, to which I say, fie on you, maniac cave goblin.

imitationleather

When people spell my name as Elliott I get so angry I have a seizure. And die.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: madhair60 on February 06, 2020, 04:49:38 PM
my name is Stuart so as you can imagine I get it from all sides. "Stewart " this and "Stewart" that. No it is fucking Stuart you cunts. spell it right. unreal. I suppose Buelligan will also have a problem with this, to which I say, fie on you, maniac cave goblin.

Question is can you hear when someone is calling you Stewart rather than Stuart?

Non Stop Dancer

Imagine if you will that this was about a white person starting a job and remarking to a black colleague with the same name that actually, his spelling is the proper, English way of spelling it and not the inferior, wrong Jamaican spelling.

canadagoose

In name terms, though, I get a wee bit irritated when people treat my surname as if it's foreign. It's English (well, Anglo-Scandinavian), it's not difficult, jeez. I find everyone north of the Pentlands tends to fuck it up.

Ferris

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 06, 2020, 04:48:11 PM
It was just a casual thing - I mean we all see each other socially as well - and there was nothing official about it.  I certainly won't be making a complaint or anything.

Instead, does anyone else have any name related bust-up stories?

Oh no, I wouldn't do anything formally either - that's for actual serious stuff. But sometimes people just need a quick word to point them in the right direction at a new gig. A lot of people in my industry are more combative that is necessary but my firm is very friendly and polite (why I'm still there/in the industry at all) and sometimes people just need a bit of informal guidance (which is part of my job to provide). That way everyone is happy. I'd still need to be informed but I feel like I've driven this point into the ground do there you are

I noticed last year that my uncle does not know my mum's name despite being married to her sister for 40 years. So there you go. That's a quality anecdote.

Buelligan

Thank you.  Try to get the name right though, there's a darl.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A friend of mine started going by their middle name at university. Their first name is an uncommon spelling of an otherwise normal name, and my friend was sick of people misspelling it.

Quote from: imitationleather on February 06, 2020, 04:50:53 PM
When people spell my name as Elliott I get so angry I have a seizure. And die.
Is your name Gordon?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 06, 2020, 04:06:47 PM
No, I fucking don't accept that - some bloke I've never met before has a go at me about my name and, without any provocation, gets visibly angry about it because I can't give him an answer he wants, and then I check with workmates that I wasn't in the wrong.  You tell me how that is shitty.

You know what, I'm fucking sick of your black or white "Buelligan's way or fuck off" attitude with zero room for grey.  I think you're a bully and a hypocrite.  I've seen some shameful stuff from you over the last year or so and it bewilders me how or why no one else picks you up on it.

From now on I'm completely ignoring you.  I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

Neil - lock the thread if you wish before it turns into one of those threads.

Overreacting, there.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 06, 2020, 04:54:27 PM
I noticed last year that my uncle does not know my mum's name despite being married to her sister for 40 years. So there you go. That's a quality anecdote.

Sooooo...what does he call her?

Captain Z

And you wonder why more religious extremists don't post here...

bgmnts

Danger Man

Ferris

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 06, 2020, 05:21:49 PM
Sooooo...what does he call her?

A name that is similar to (but distinct from) her actual name which is how he's been getting away with it. Think Christie/Christine

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Danger Man on February 06, 2020, 05:29:45 PM

Nah, Buellers just dismissed that comment in an amused " Aw, bless!"  sort of way. As well she might.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 06, 2020, 05:40:34 PM
A name that is similar to (but distinct from) her actual name which is how he's been getting away with it. Think Christie/Christine

"So tell me, Christopher..."

Pingers

The whole sectarian thing is completely mad. I have a mate from the mostly republican end of Belfast, he is about the same age as me but we may as well have grown up on different planets, given the things he tells me about his childhood. He is political but despite everything that he, his family and friends were subjected to by the British Army he's generally pretty relaxed on the subject of where people are from. He was telling me recently that a guy stopped and asked him for directions (this is in England) and after a brief exchange he asked the driver where he was from. "Ballymena". "Ah, not so far from me then". "Aye, far enough though". Balleymena is apparently mostly protestant/loyalist and the 'far enough though' was meant as derogatory. I asked my mate how someone would know from a brief exchange whether someone was from the republican or loyalist end of Belfast and he said you just know. Very weird.

This stuff always reminds me of a comedian who was on Friday Night Live back in the 80s. I forget his name, but he said that when he told people he was from Ireland they always asked him meaningfully "Which part?", and he would always say "The East" to frustrate them. Yer man would not like that I imagine.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Buelligan on February 06, 2020, 04:57:52 PM
Thank you.  Try to get the name right though, there's a darl.
I knew it was wrong as I typed it but just didn't have the respect for you to look it up.

Pingers

Quote from: Cuellar on February 06, 2020, 03:52:52 PM
"God I hate blacks"
"Bit off that"
"Give him a break, he only started last week. How could he know you're not meant to hate blacks here"

You can't be out first ball

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on February 06, 2020, 06:24:28 PM
I knew it was wrong as I typed it but just didn't have the respect for you to look it up.

Copper- bottomed brilliant comeback.

Sebastian Cobb

It's always the Stephens that get arsey about this sort of thing.

Then again it's rarely easy to tell someone not to shorten your name without giving off unwarranted self-importance.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Pingers on February 06, 2020, 06:03:02 PM
The whole sectarian thing is completely mad. I have a mate from the mostly republican end of Belfast, he is about the same age as me but we may as well have grown up on different planets, given the things he tells me about his childhood. He is political but despite everything that he, his family and friends were subjected to by the British Army he's generally pretty relaxed on the subject of where people are from. He was telling me recently that a guy stopped and asked him for directions (this is in England) and after a brief exchange he asked the driver where he was from. "Ballymena". "Ah, not so far from me then". "Aye, far enough though". Balleymena is apparently mostly protestant/loyalist and the 'far enough though' was meant as derogatory. I asked my mate how someone would know from a brief exchange whether someone was from the republican or loyalist end of Belfast and he said you just know. Very weird.

This stuff always reminds me of a comedian who was on Friday Night Live back in the 80s. I forget his name, but he said that when he told people he was from Ireland they always asked him meaningfully "Which part?", and he would always say "The East" to frustrate them. Yer man would not like that I imagine.

The usual veiled question, both in NI and Glasgow is 'what school did you go to'?.

sevendaughters

didn't foresee that mid-thread tete-a-tete but this wasn't some kind of Corriganing was it, like he thinks he's seen a kindred spirit and failed and is now flagellating wildly in a stock cupboard?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: sevendaughters on February 06, 2020, 08:03:47 PM
this wasn't some kind of Corriganing was it, like he thinks he's seen a kindred spirit and failed and is now flagellating wildly in a stock cupboard?

No idea, but his anger towards me REALLY didn't endear me to him at all.  And it was genuine anger, and one of the reasons I checked with the others just to make sure I wasn't misreading the situation.

But when he left he said "bye" and we said "bye" back, and that was that.

He won't be in tomorrow as he's going to one of our satellite offices to meet his other colleagues and work with them for the day, so I won't see him until next Monday now.  We'll see what a new week brings.