Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:34:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Have you ever called someone "Big Man"

Started by Pingers, February 06, 2020, 06:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

I reserve "Big Man", "Cowboy", "Amigo", "Hombre", and "Partner" for when I'm royally fucked off with someone. It's usually a sign I'm about to tell them to fuck off cunt and/or go wring themselves

pigamus

Bloke in Birmingham called me "Bud"

He should live till about Wednesday

easytarget

There's a scotch bar down the road from my house (St Andrew's on SR 99 between the expensive grocery store and the place where I grimly do a work out multiple times a week to no avail). A scotch man runs it. He called me 'big man'. Not sure how to process that as I believe yer scotch use it as a ladz bantz insult for little fellas (source Kumail Nanjiani : "when I was in Endingbro they called me big man, sarcastically"). I'm 6'2", not comically MASSIVE but, even in the nutrition rich US, above average height. Maybe he calls everyone 'big man' or maybe he picks someone on each table that he's serving and singles them out as 'big man' (if we're using this as a data point the term is not applied to the biggest or smallest man at the table - the algorithm (if it exists) is undefined).

I don't call people 'big man', it's odd.

phes

Quote from: Pingers on February 06, 2020, 07:29:23 PM
I should clarify for the more woke among you that I was not actually bragging about the size of my penis, which is in fact of average size.

humblebrag

I got an email from a colleague thanking me for sending them some revision notes and it said 'thanks big dog!'

I quite like this

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I address all women, whatever their age, size or sexual orientation as " Missus", which I believe is perfectly acceptable.

PlanktonSideburns

Big dog seems OK,  maybe because it sounds like it's about status rather than size

jobotic

I like to use Chief, Friend and Old Boy.

In response I have been called Duck, Love, Cunt and Odious Creature.

I've never used Big Man, Wee Man, Shorty or Top Boy

touchingcloth

Yeah, your dad when he's fucking my arse.

Blue Jam

dissolute ocelot

Many years ago I had a foreman who called me big man when he wanted me to do something. I'm sure I can make this appear sexual. He was very short.

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on February 06, 2020, 07:59:41 PM
Up in Wrexham I think they say "captain" which is REALLY shit.

Its either butt, mate or blue.

I simply cannot believe this.  Surely you have shag

Down south, it's practically ubiquitous.

timebug

My old pal Mac often gets called 'Big Mac' as an ironic pisstake of 'Big Man'. He is six feet three (in old money) and built like a proverbial brick shithouse. Our group of old codgers has been challenged before now, as to why we refer to one of our number as a reference to an American fast food chain? We point out that we don't. Mac was Mac for decades, then 'Big Mac' as a couple of shorter statured people joined our little gang of senile delinquents!

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on February 07, 2020, 10:08:06 AM

Never heard of it but to be fair I havent talked to anyone in the social context around here for over a year.

AllisonSays

I do this, although it's usually reserved for expressing doubt and concern at a friend's decision-making (uch big man, you might say, while pulling your neck backwards slightly and frowning, after someone admits to stealing a photocopier from the library or leaving their partner to live on a barge). In rare instances it might be employed, ameliorated with a fresh inflection, to express joy and pleasure at seeing someone I haven't seen for a while - more like 'ahhhh big man!', in this context. I am Irish, though, so maybe we're allowed to do it being that we're not as anally retentive as the English middle-classes.

It's got nothing to do with scale, obviously, nor with gender really, I have definitely said 'uch big man' to a woman friend before. 

phes

Quote from: Buelligan on February 07, 2020, 10:08:06 AM

Lived on the south coast for a quarter century and have never heard this before.

Mate, mucker, mush. All the m's. Shag???

bgmnts

Chick as well, but that's usually exclusive to ladies.

Buelligan

Quote from: phes on February 07, 2020, 11:39:03 AM
Lived on the south coast for a quarter century and have never heard this before.

Mate, mucker, mush. All the m's. Shag???

We are talking about Wales, are we?  I'm quite prepared to accept it was just the circles I mixed in and, having googled it, it seems Americans believe it's exclusively used in this context by Cornish people not the Welsh, shag.

kittens

phes

Quote from: Buelligan on February 07, 2020, 12:25:58 PM
We are talking about Wales, are we?  I'm quite prepared to accept it was just the circles I mixed in and, having googled it, it seems Americans believe it's exclusively used in this context by Cornish people not the Welsh, shag.
Oh, probably my error for not following the whole thread.

Sorry me old shagger

Buelligan

kngen

Not as often as I've called someone wee man, but I tend to be 'big man' in these transactions (Glaswegians are, historically, 'awfy wee', to use the scientific term).

My mate, while doing a warehouse job, was called 'big stuff' by one of the drivers once - that entered our lexicon pretty quickly.

Cardenio I

Bud, pal, or lad.

Big Man is reserved exclusively for nephews.

thenoise

I tried out calling everyone 'big man' for size one night out in the late nineties. I was probably also wearing a black shirt with coloured blue flames on it, untucked and almost reaching my knees.

It didn't suit me. The shirt nor the affectation.

When I was living in North/East London, people were 'boss', particularly in the Turkish shops.  I bridled at the lack of hierarchical distinction, but enjoyed the opportunity as 'boss' to issue P60s. I got hit a lot.

Pingers

Quote from: sick as a pike on February 07, 2020, 02:06:55 PM
When I was living in North/East London, people were 'boss', particularly in the Turkish shops.  I bridled at the lack of hierarchical distinction, but enjoyed the opportunity as 'boss' to issue P60s. I got hit a lot.

Lawlessness! Only minicab drivers and kebabmongers are allowed to use 'boss', as stipulated in the Titular Designations Act 1992

Quote from: kngen on February 07, 2020, 12:49:01 PM
My mate, while doing a warehouse job, was called 'big stuff' by one of the drivers once - that entered our lexicon pretty quickly.

One of the canteen ladies at a place I used to work came in one day complaining of a cramped journey to work because a 'big Oxo cube' had sat beside her on the bus.  Presumably it was a well-built, square-shouldered sort of bloke rather than an actual giant foil-wrapped stock cube.

We used that one for a while afterwards, although I probably wouldn't call someone a big Oxo cube to their face.

Buelligan

Not unless you were planning to take them up the tower anyway.

Marner and Me

Quote from: bgmnts on February 06, 2020, 07:59:41 PM
Up in Wrexham I think they say "captain" which is REALLY shit.

Its either butt, mate or blue.
Fucking Bootlegger

A bloke at work used kid, alright kid

Quote from: sick as a pike on February 07, 2020, 02:06:55 PM

Bossman's popular in Turkish shops/takeaways round there.