Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:35:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

suicide in public

Started by chveik, February 06, 2020, 06:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Quote from: Thomas on February 06, 2020, 08:44:10 PM
I remember when this happened. I think I was in town at some point that day, but thankfully did not witness it. Strange to consider that those whom goaded and shouted continue to walk about to this day, passing the spot of his death, probably remembering nothing of it. A friend saw it happen. (That friend has since died, stabbed by a stranger only 200 metres away from the above location. Grim town - though the late and wonderful Serge of our parish worked at its Waterstones, brightening the place a bit).

It's crazy that the place which produced you, Serge and Mick Philpott could also be home to such bastards.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 06, 2020, 07:43:52 PM
I was going to add "M*A*S*H* considers rewrite", but then Blods goes and posts the above...

JarrowMonkey got there 5 posts before you anyway.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on February 06, 2020, 08:51:38 PM
JarrowMonkey got there 5 posts before you anyway.

So they did - missed that.  Apologies JM.

idunnosomename

Derby's shopping plaza is fucking abominable, dehumanising. top bit around the cathedral is ok though. just ok.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

well I'm right back to The View From Halfway Down

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Hand Solo on February 06, 2020, 08:09:20 PM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3108987/Suicide-teenager-urged-to-jump-by-baying-crowd.html

Christ, that's horrific and really upsetting. 17? He was a fucking child. How can it not be offence to cheer on a suicidal person?

bgmnts

I mean we've just voted in the Tories AGAIN after god knows how many people have died under their watch so far. The empathy has gone, everyone for themselves now.

pancreas

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 07, 2020, 12:10:12 AM
Christ, that's horrific and really upsetting. 17? He was a fucking child. How can it not be offence to cheer on a suicidal person?

That was 2008 ...

Quote from: bgmnts on February 07, 2020, 12:12:42 AM
I mean we've just voted in the Tories AGAIN after god knows how many people have died under their watch so far. The empathy has gone, everyone for themselves now.

... however ... this collection of consonants is right.

I have been cheering on coronavirus and I make no apologies for that.

Twit 2

Never been a better time to kill yourself "for a laugh".

pigamus

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 07, 2020, 12:10:12 AM
Christ, that's horrific and really upsetting.

You're telling me - imagine being subscribed to the Telegraph so you can read it!

derek stitt

Wasn't that security fence meant to deter extreme sports enthusiasts also. Seem to remember eccentric type loonies (rather than loonies who have succumbed to the vapours)  in top hats bungee jumping from The Clifton suspension bridge in the late 80's.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Goading on a suicidal boy in a dreak Midlands town for mild entertainment was core 2008, let's face it. These days it would requite nothing further than a brief look up from phones, shrug, and then carry on with abusing a famous person on twitter.

Twit 2

Nah, goading children into suicide is still relevant, still a great time. Call me an old fuddy-duddy if you like, but I refuse to "get with the times, grandad" on this one. Gonna blackmail my nephew into drinking leftover Christmas bleach later, and hold my head up bloody high too.

Budd Dwyer knew how to do it with class and sang froid.  That video is rivetting.

Twit 2

I watch it twice a year, Christmas and Birthday. Raise a glass of Vimto, salute and wank.

BlodwynPig

Didnt it inspire that Larry David fainting gif?

Dr Syntax Head

I feel the temptation to take out some wrong uns at the same time would be quite strong

Icehaven

Birmingham got a swanky new central library a few years back, and the design includes two garden terraces, the higher of which is over a sheer drop of nearly 200ft. There's barely anywhere else in the city so easily and publically accessible that's anywhere near that high, and the barrier is only about 4ft so unsurprisingly it wasn't long before someone jumped off, and there's been several more since. I hadn't actually realised just how many until recently when I was doing a mental health training course there with other library staff (I work in a different library) and at least 3 of them had been present at different incidents of it happening. One had been approached by a woman asking why the doors to the terrace were locked, which they shouldn't have been, so the staff member unlocked them, then the woman went straight out, left a note on a bench and jumped. The staff member said he felt guilty for ages afterwards, as if he should have known somehow, which is another aspect of a public suicide (as someone above alluded to when approached by a guard on a bridge), no one wants to think they should/could have prevented it despite there not necessarily being much prior warning, but in hindsight a lot of people would tell themselves they "should have known."

wosl

Quote from: icehaven on February 10, 2020, 02:08:33 PM
Birmingham got a wanky new central library a few years back

Fixed. A be-trellised horror, which ironically gets featured in things like news studio backdrops - the brilliant old Madin-designed Central Library never got feted like that, and then it got binned (but then, as Stewart Lee says, Birmingham has a history of rejecting its culture).

Jerzy Bondov

There's been a campaign to get better barriers put up on our bridge round here. Hasn't come to anything though. I think the argument against is that if you're desperate enough to leap off a suspension bridge you're not going to be slowed much by a slightly higher fence. I don't know. Thing is people tend not to hop off into the water; they do it over land and can plop down into people's gardens. It's pretty high so it can't be a nice thing to find on your decking at breakfast time.