Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forever Cloncing

Started by Icehaven, February 06, 2020, 07:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

I've been in New Quay (the Welsh one) today and on the big jetty there's a bench with a plaque on that says

In Memoriam
         (couple's names)
               New Quay
        Forever Cloncing

And I can't find any reference to what cloncing is or was anywhere online. Either it's a misprint and should say either dancing or noncing, neither of which are that likely (although tbf I didn't know them) or it's some very obscure dialect. Does anyone know? Is it fatal, hence the memorial bench?

madhair60

It's when you fuck a baby clown

Janie Jones

I think it's a goth emo thing, a sort of polyamorous no-commitment thing. A woman my friend was in love with about 15 years ago told him she was only into cloncing so I had to hear quite a lot about it as my friend spent many an evening weeping drunkenly over this woman having the temerity to not want to have sex with him.

Shit Good Nose

It is a Welsh term (which I think just means something like aimlessly bumbling around), but I thought it was quite specific to South East Wales.  So either I'm wrong, or the word has travelled.  Either one could be true.

It has nowt to do with having sex with children.  Unless in this case it does.

bgmnts

It's a Welsh term which means carrying a pound of cheese over your shoulder in a hobo bag.

Janie Jones

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 06, 2020, 07:53:36 PM
It is a Welsh term (which I think just means something like aimlessly bumbling around), but I thought it was quite specific to South East Wales.  So either I'm wrong, or the word has travelled.  Either one could be true.

Our respective definitions sort of fit together really. I know my friend struggled to find any mention of it on the internet, apart from the general chat boards of an aviation forum, oddly.

Anyway, he got a sympathy fuck from me out of it, so every cloud.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Janie Jones on February 06, 2020, 07:59:37 PM
Our respective definitions sort of fit together really. I know my friend struggled to find any mention of it on the internet, apart from the general chat boards of an aviation forum, oddly.

Anyway, he got a sympathy fuck from me out of it, so every cloud.

It's very much like the word nonceing.  Obviously we all know what that means on CaB and to 99.9% of the British public, but go to a small part of North West Somerset (Weston-Super-Mare, Yatton, Clevedon etc) and nonceing means aimless bumbling around, or at least has done historically.  I'm sure most people round there are aware of the alternative meaning.

Lordofthefiles

It should read "Forever Cloneing".

Derek and Joyce Simulacrum were a pair of married mad scientists.
After they died they installed the plaque themselves while another group of themselves stood nearby and opened champagne in honour of themselves.

They're all terrible at spelling.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: icehaven on February 06, 2020, 07:00:10 PM
I've been in New Quay (the Welsh one) today and on the big jetty there's a bench with a plaque on that says

In Memoriam
         (couple's names)
               New Quay
        Forever Cloncing

And I can't find any reference to what cloncing is or was anywhere online. Either it's a misprint and should say either dancing or noncing, neither of which are that likely (although tbf I didn't know them) or it's some very obscure dialect. Does anyone know? Is it fatal, hence the memorial bench?

I was there one summer evening last year, watching dolphins from that harbour wall. Didn't notice the bench inscription though, but I think locally it means chatting/gossiping.

pancreas

It's a Welsh term for stealing someone else's tartare sauce for your own chips.

Cerys

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

* Robert Robinson ( if 90s, Bob Holness) sits behind desk with a " What the fuck?" expression plastered over his extremely bemused fizzog*

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on February 06, 2020, 08:28:08 PMI think locally it means chatting/gossiping.

Texts with a friend in Ceredigion confirmed the above. And it's pronounced clonking.

Cerys

Annie Labuntur

Cerys

Nah, I just wanted to use that gif.  I only just got it and I wanted to bestow it on someone who was deserving of how much I love it.  It's actually the opposite of antipathy.  So nyer.

Icehaven

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on February 06, 2020, 08:28:08 PM
I was there one summer evening last year, watching dolphins from that harbour wall. Didn't notice the bench inscription though, but I think locally it means chatting/gossiping.

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on February 07, 2020, 11:36:52 AM
Texts with a friend in Ceredigion confirmed the above. And it's pronounced clonking.

Oh fair doos. Well that's not very nice then is it? "In loving memory of our dearly beloved gossips who are now forever talking God into a coma for all eternity."

I didn't see any dolphins, maybe the wrong time of year.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Cerys on February 07, 2020, 05:47:26 PM
Nah, I just wanted to use that gif.  I only just got it and I wanted to bestow it on someone who was deserving of how much I love it.  It's actually the opposite of antipathy.  So nyer.

Cerys

Is it just me, or do those sheep also look as if they're beady eyed little creatures who are busy chewing frogs?

touchingcloth

You cwn't start a fllre
You cwn't start a fllre without a sprdh
This gwn's for hllre
Even if we're jwst cloncin' in the drdh

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Cerys on February 07, 2020, 11:40:04 PM
Is it just me, or do those sheep also look as if they're beady eyed little creatures who are busy chewing frogs?

No, those are two weird ŵyn.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: icehaven on February 07, 2020, 06:11:52 PM
Oh fair doos. Well that's not very nice then is it? "In loving memory of our dearly beloved gossips who are now forever talking God into a coma for all eternity."

Could have been members of this group learning Welsh and meeting up to practise it from time to time.

Quote from: icehaven on February 07, 2020, 06:11:52 PMI didn't see any dolphins, maybe the wrong time of year.

Summer to early autumn is probably best, although I've seen them in spring from the castle at Aberystwyth when literally no one else seemed to be taking any notice.

Cerys

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on February 07, 2020, 11:54:44 PM
No, those are two weird ŵyn.

I'll believe you.  Thousands wouldn't.

Clownbaby