Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Michael Barrymore doc on Channel 4

Started by bgmnts, February 06, 2020, 09:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Is anyone watching this?  I don't really know anything about the story beyond random, vague memories of the story.

Can't believe it was still wrong to be gay in the 90s though. Seems way too late.

Some interviews with utter tabloid scumbag cunts though, showing no remorse or regret for being scumbag cunts, so if that puts you off fairplay.

Malcy

Nah not watching. Barrymore hasn't even been allowed to watch it before it goes out. The man is trying to move on and get back into what he does best but some cunt at Channel 4 has decided to dredge up the past and go over old ground and old news.

It's the kind of thing i'd expect from CH5. Nosey, unnecessary, cheap tv.

bgmnts

Fair enough, I didnt really know much about the story so its interesting. Having to watch and listen to Paul McMullan is really really testing me though.

Its only really the media that comes out looking really fucking cunty anyway, as they should be. Brings up some interesting things about media, homophobia, celebrity, crime.

Small Man Big Horse

Did the documentary offer up new evidence?

bgmnts

No idea but christ c'mon. It made me feel really icky, the press, the public, the legal system, the police. I want it all to burn.

I mostly just ended up feeling really sad for Terry Lubbock and of course the victim. Gutting stuff.

Shit Good Nose

I'm not watching it and won't be watching it, but from what I remember wasn't it that him and Barrymore took a load of coke or something together, and then Barrymore just walked off and left him to fend for himself for the rest of the night?

bgmnts

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 06, 2020, 10:56:30 PM
I'm not watching it and won't be watching it, but from what I remember wasn't it that him and Barrymore took a load of coke or something together, and then Barrymore just walked off and left him to fend for himself for the rest of the night?

Maybe thats why you should watch it.

Barrymore rubbed cocaine on his gums.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on February 06, 2020, 11:03:12 PM
Maybe thats why you should watch it.

Barrymore rubbed cocaine on his gums.

Ooff.

I was never a huge Barrymore fan to be honest, so it didn't bother me either way at the time.  Like you I only felt for Lubbock and his family.

hummingofevil

My take is Barrymore has a brick-sized cock; rendering him equally responsible and not guilty for his death.

non capisco

Quote from: Malcy on February 06, 2020, 09:20:41 PM
Nah not watching. Barrymore hasn't even been allowed to watch it before it goes out. The man is trying to move on and get back into what he does best but some cunt at Channel 4 has decided to dredge up the past and go over old ground and old news.

It's the kind of thing i'd expect from CH5. Nosey, unnecessary, cheap tv.

I don't think that 4K Blu-Ray box set of the complete 'My Kind Of People' is going to happen now, Malcy. Sorry mate.

Harry Badger

Forty grand reward has been put up by Essex police for information leading to a conviction. This of course is chump change given the vast amount spent on the various cases brought in relation to Lubbock's death, which could have been avoided had they not completely fucked up the initial investigation.

What I don't get is why the hangers-on present, who also apparently only met Barrymore that night, have maintained a near twenty year omerta.

Non Stop Dancer

It's grim stuff, well worth a watch. Like they say, somebody knows what happened, and there are only so many explanations. Barrymore comes across as knowing more than he's letting on.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Harry Badger on February 06, 2020, 11:40:28 PM
What I don't get is why the hangers-on present, who also apparently only met Barrymore that night, have maintained a near twenty year omerta.

It was a drug-fuelled orgy, why would anybody snitch on Barrymore when they themselves are most likely directly involved if not implicated?

Lubbock's body and eyes were covered in petechiae, a red rash caused by strangulation/asphyxiation and very rare in cases of drowning. It's quite obvious he didn't drown and the body was moved to the pool from the house after the fact to muddy the investigation, this ties in with the other horrible injuries that he was fisted and painfully raped with other large foreign objects. Maybe he accidentally was asphyxiated when they covered up his face with hands or a pillow to mute the inevitable screams of pain? The pool had been covered up and quickly uncovered and heated up when they moved the body into it which also throws off deducing an accurate time of death.

It certainly wasn't awight on the night.

Quote from: Harry Badger on February 06, 2020, 11:40:28 PM

Because like Gary Glitter they put the gang in bang...?

derek stitt

Barrymore is as guilty as fuck but, you just can't prove it. The poor dad and brother of Stewart Lubbock. This is a terrible miscarriage of justice. Also, those Murdoch journalists need a severe shoeing, horrible cunts.

imitationleather

I'd never read the details of what happened and assumed it must have been ambiguous.

But blimey, he doesn't half sound guilty does he?

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: derek stitt on February 08, 2020, 01:16:15 PM
Also, those Murdoch journalists need a severe shoeing, horrible cunts.
There are few categories of people beneath them in the pantheon of all that's wrong with the world, absolute ghouls.

up_the_hampipe

I'm still not certain whether Barrymore himself committed the rape and murder, but it seems as though everyone at that party was somehow involved, whether it's covering up evidence or trying to make it look like a drowning. Barrymore is either protecting himself or the person/people who did that to Stuart Lubbock, it's all very damning and hopefully his future attempts at a comeback will be dismissed, he's clearly always been more concerned about his career than anything else. Seeing Terry Lubbock watch Barrymore on television talking about how their family deserves closure, knowing full well that he's one of the people obstructing that, and greeted with applause was really depressing.

bgmnts

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 08, 2020, 08:48:02 PM
I'm still not certain whether Barrymore himself committed the rape and murder, but it seems as though everyone at that party was somehow involved, whether it's covering up evidence or trying to make it look like a drowning. Barrymore is either protecting himself or the person/people who did that to Stuart Lubbock, it's all very damning and hopefully his future attempts at a comeback will be dismissed, he's clearly always been more concerned about his career than anything else. Seeing Terry Lubbock watch Barrymore on television talking about how their family deserves closure, knowing full well that he's one of the people obstructing that, and greeted with applause was really depressing.

Indeed. Some clips of members of public saying shit like "we've all made mistakes". FUCK OFF CUNTS.

Weird how its okay to rape and/or murder if you are good at sport or entertaining or acting or whatever.

I watched two-thirds of it on the Channel Four catch-up site.  Two of those blokes who were at Barrymore's party, including his then-boyfriend, looked right thugs.

It was a crime of the time, nowadays all attendees would've been posting about where they were and what they were doing on messages to other people or on social media. Back then you still had an element of secrecy. It was easier to stay silent back then.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: bgmnts on February 08, 2020, 08:52:20 PM
Indeed. Some clips of members of public saying shit like "we've all made mistakes". FUCK OFF CUNTS.

Weird how its okay to rape and/or murder if you are good at sport or entertaining or acting or whatever.

...or impersonating John Cleese. Too bad Angus Deayton took that away from Are Michael.

Remember when the Barrymurderer ( clever wordplay, cheers) tried to make a live comeback with his unique brand of comedy back in 2003, and the top British Public were having none of it? The show closed down after two days, I think.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 09, 2020, 09:17:01 AM
...or impersonating John Cleese. Too bad Angus Deayton took that away from Are Michael.

Remember when the Barrymurderer ( clever wordplay, cheers) tried to make a live comeback with his unique brand of comedy back in 2003, and the top British Public were having none of it? The show closed down after two days, I think.
That's covered in the documentary.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on February 09, 2020, 09:17:01 AM

Then he came back for Celebrity Big Brother in 2006 and the shite British public loved him and voted him as the runner-up.

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 09, 2020, 11:51:18 AM
Then he came back for Celebrity Big Brother in 2006 and the shite British public loved him and voted him as the runner-up.

Don't think I'd call that an expression of love. 'Yesss, keep it in the freakshow, this one is my favourite specimen.'

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Default to the negative on February 09, 2020, 12:13:30 PM
Don't think I'd call that an expression of love. 'Yesss, keep it in the freakshow, this one is my favourite specimen.'

That's true love in my book.

Hand Solo

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on February 09, 2020, 11:51:18 AM

Tbf, it was Sophie's choc ice, that series was a cavalcade of batshittery:

I forgot that was all in the same series. What a gang, the class of 2006. Brings a tear to the eye when you look at those pictures, when they still had it all to live for.