Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet

Started by Cortez the Surfer, February 07, 2020, 08:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Nice, fascinating.  God, TV takes so much work.  I love how much they integrated the actors' gaffs into the scenario, especially McElhenney, that jammy get, and his palatial Hollywood Hills pile.

surreal

Noodle Lizard

I gave it more than a fair chance (full series and a Quarantinie Special) but c'mon, lads. This is poor. The best episode was the one which none of the main characters were in.

I'll always love Always Sunny, but it's approaching The Office/Derek levels of night/day dissonance for me. The Parks & Rec. Quarantine Special was less cheesy, for fuck's sake.

MikkiDisco

I really enjoyed this, watched them all in a couple of days, but I'm not sure I've ever struggled more to get used to an actor playing a different role than watching Danny Pudi not be Abed. I kept having to remind myself that it's not just Abed doing an homage to someone. Somebody earlier mentioned the My Dinner With Andre episode of Community and that's exactly where my mind kept going.

Ant Farm Keyboard

A reminder that there was another special released yesterday, and it has a lot of Jo.

The second season starts on May 7th, and it won't be called "Raven's Banquet" anymore.

phantom_power

Is it explained in the first episode why Ian's name is pronounced that way, or is that a common thing in America?

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: phantom_power on April 19, 2021, 02:10:42 PM
Is it explained in the first episode why Ian's name is pronounced that way, or is that a common thing in America?

It's explained about midway through the first season. About episode 5 or 6, but that's from memory.

DrAlanStatham

Fun fact -- Craig Mazin who plays 'Lou' is the writer of Chernobyl and former room-mate of anti-human Ted Cruz.

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's also apparently a dig at the game director for WoW, Ion Hazzikostas, where it is the opposite ("Eye-an" would be the expected pronunciation, but it's "Ee-an")

Craig Mazin's presence is not totally random. He's writing the Borderlands film and is in charge of the Last of Us show for HBO. McElhenney himself was attached for a couples of years to the Minecraft movie.

selectivememory

I really liked the first lockdown special, but the latest one was a bit shit. I do like the relationship between Ian and Poppy, and Brad is a solid and pretty consistently funny character too. But the laughs in this one were pretty sparse and the main plot of the episode was super cheesy. It all felt a bit off to me, and I just found the whole premise pretty naff. Still, will look forward to the new season as I did enjoy the first one a lot. Hopefully this is just a misfire and not indicative of where the series is going.

olliebean

Indicative of an increased budget, was how it looked to me.

Noodle Lizard

I'm surprised how cheesy the whole thing is, to be honest, given that McElhenney helmed IASIP which seems like a pretty direct retaliation against conventional sitcom tropes. This one's about as "of-its-time" as you can get, but nowhere near as funny as something like Silicon Valley was at its peak, and I don't know if it even managed to parody MMORPGs and their culture in much more depth than South Park managed 15 years ago. I'm sorry to be a downer on it, but it's a real disappointment for me.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 20, 2021, 09:25:39 PM
I'm surprised how cheesy the whole thing is, to be honest, given that McElhenney helmed IASIP which seems like a pretty direct retaliation against conventional sitcom tropes. This one's about as "of-its-time" as you can get, but nowhere near as funny as something like Silicon Valley was at its peak, and I don't know if it even managed to parody MMORPGs and their culture in much more depth than South Park managed 15 years ago. I'm sorry to be a downer on it, but it's a real disappointment for me.

Felt the same. Glenn Howerton and Kaitlin Olson also did some pretty bland network sitcoms. Olson's was like IASIP through the filter of 50 focus groups.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 20, 2021, 09:28:44 PM
Felt the same. Glenn Howerton and Kaitlin Olson also did some pretty bland network sitcoms. Olson's was like IASIP through the filter of 50 focus groups.

Right, and Charlie Day has been in some pretty terrible movies as well, but you never get the feeling they're quite as in love with themselves as McElhenney seems to be. Imagine stretching the joke of "look how ripped I got (and actually am, guys)" across two different sitcoms.

Mobius

Yeah totally agreed. Actually watched Season 2 of The Mick the other day as I'd never got round to it and whilst it was mildly enjoyable it just felt like all of the things that make Sunny brilliant just not done as well. Most of it felt like a ripoff of, or bits that were cut from Sunny. And speaking of Silicon Valley, the bloke from The Mick is basically just doing a TJ Miller impression?

I watched 1 episode of Mythic Quest it wasn't very funny nor the characters interesting. It felt very broad.

Amentet

I'll probably steal it ,er, wait till it comes to other streaming services, to have a look. Do all these greedy corporate guys seriously think we are going to start paying for 50 splintered streaming services just to watch a couple of things on each.

phantom_power

AP Bio is a great little sitcom. It starts a bit bland but as the characters and the kids get fleshed out and more idiosyncratic it really starts to find its feet. It is just as irreverent, cruel and misanthropic as IASIP in its own way as well

Ant Farm Keyboard

The best bit was Ian failing to realize that the story he wrote had symbolism in it.
Don't expect the show to be on another service. It's produced by Apple, and they have exclusive rights on it. Your first opportunity would be when Apple goes bankrupt or when they decided to stop their service.

The Mick had a few terrific scenes, which were quite gross by network standards. The senile woman who has an infatuation on Mick, the middle kid getting his fingers severed or the boyfriend reluctantly fighting with an entire team of girls. The rest was pretty meh however.

dead-ced-dead

I may be in the minority here, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the standalone episode, Dark Quiet Death. I like it so much, I lament that the rest of the show - which is a fine, solid, if not spectacular 6.5-7/10 - isn't as good. In the middle of a fine 6.5/10 show is one 10/10 episode.

It's so frustrating when that happens. It reminds me of Penny Dreadful, which was another fine, solid 7/10 show that suddenly had this one episode in season 3 where Mina recalls her time in an asylum. Or in Homicide: Life in the Street, with the episode Three Men and Adena.

Everything, from the writing to the acting is just better. Jake Johnson and Cristin Milioti are two of my favourite people right now.

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on April 22, 2021, 08:55:18 AM
I may be in the minority here, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE the standalone episode, Dark Quiet Death.

I agree, best episode of the show by far.