Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:07:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Locke & Key: tv series finally out

Started by Misspent Boners, February 07, 2020, 10:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
This has finally come to fruition and is available in it's entirety on Netflix. Although I watched it through other means.

I loved reading through the comics about 4 years ago, although I do remember losing interest after a while as the keys became more stupid (eg. one which turned the user black, as a vehicle for the writer to make some kind of half arsed racial statement)...and never continued with it. But those first 5 or 6 volumes I enjoyed immensely. My memories of the specifics beyond the main narrative are a bit hazy now, so watching the first 4 episodes earlier I couldn't really remember how much it was deviating from the comic story wise.

Inevitably it has that American Television sheen to everything meaning it's not quite how you perceived it in comic form. The art in the comics, although very good, had a kind of harsh and ugly aspect to it, which of course is lost here where even people who are meant to be dorky outcasts are fairly attractive. There's one kid, Kinsey's love interest Scot, who's incredibly miscast; he's meant to be some quirky dorky misfit who loves horror films but is played by a very handsome cleancut kid who's gone to RADA.

As for the kids themselves, Kinsey and Bodi are pretty spot on in my opinion...but Tyler I swear was quite a kind of dark and brooding character, sporty but also kind of a bit heavy set and quiet. Here he is just a good looking jock type.

It was always going to be hard to get the balance right tonally...the premise is so fantastical but easier to swallow in comic form whereas here, the premise of "there's a magic house with magic keys that give you different powers" means that at times you can't help but feel like you're watching a kids/teens show (particularly as there's a lot of high school drama additionally added that I don't remember from the comics) at times. In contrast it have more violent scenes but feels nowhere near as gritty as the comic could.

All in all though four episodes in I've enjoyed it; and it's just fun to see what key they'll use next just like in the comics.

studpuppet

Started this last night (vetting it for 14 year olds). I loved the books so was hoping they wouldn't mess it up; they seem to have done okay so far. It has that Riverdale/Sabrina sheen, thankfully (from my point of view at least) they made the father's death more palatable for a younger audience.

Mister Six

How did the dad die in the comic? I can't remember.

Hope they have the key that turns doors into giant dog mouths. What daft bastard made that one, and why?

Anyway, the comic - I didn't love it as much as everyone else did, but it was all right. Probably won't watch this unless everyone is raving. Did they make the punk kid at the school British? I could never figure out if he was supposed to be a Brit or just an Anglophile.

Quote from: Mister Six on February 08, 2020, 11:42:35 AM
How did the dad die in the comic? I can't remember.

Hope they have the key that turns doors into giant dog mouths. What daft bastard made that one, and why?

Anyway, the comic - I didn't love it as much as everyone else did, but it was all right. Probably won't watch this unless everyone is raving. Did they make the punk kid at the school British? I could never figure out if he was supposed to be a Brit or just an Anglophile.

Pretty sure that's the guy I mentioned being horribly miscast. The actor theyve hired is completely at odds with the character hes meant to be portraying; think that would be clear to someone who hasnt read the comics

So far I think it's relatively safe for teens; by the nature of its premise it really works as a young adult type piece of tv, and I'm not too bothered that theyve played to that. Just shake about making it so Riverdale sheeny and not a bit more arty and twisted

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

So this isn't about a comedy double act?

jimboslice

I love the comics and was looking forward to this. So far I don't mind the casting or any of the changes they made, but it all ultimately feels a bit hollow. It's not amazingly written either, and the Mum character is rubbish... but I'll finish it.

Icehaven

Quote from: Misspent Boners on February 08, 2020, 03:07:35 PM

So far I think it's relatively safe for teens; by the nature of its premise it really works as a young adult type piece of tv,

We watched the trailer and almost presumed it was a kid's show, then started it and I thought "OK it's more for teens", then there was a bloody murder and someone getting strangled during sex so it was apparent it was aimed at adults/older teens. None of this really matters of course it's just I'd imagine a lot of potential older viewers might be put off by the trailer as that really makes it look like a children's programme.
Anyway it was alright, I haven't read the comics so it didn't suffer from comparison for me although I'd quite like to read them now if only to see what other keys they came up with. Agree about the Mum character being crap too, is her alcoholism shoehorned in to give her something to do in the comics too?

Ha, I completely forgot to finish this tbh...so couldn't have been that invested. Personally I think it could have worked quite well as more of a teen drama type of thing; as stated by its nature it's about three kids finding magic keys that give them different powers so would be ideal for a young adult type show...ultimately the demographic ends up a bit all over the place

Jerzy Bondov

Started this but can't be arsed with it. I read the comics and I loved them so that's enough for me.