Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:15:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doolittle

Started by Head Gardener, February 08, 2020, 09:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

stunning HD copies have leaked the day after it opens in cinemas, so it's gonna lose even more money

Bazooka

Bets on which will flop hardest, this or Sonic?

bgmnts

I vaguely remember a time when Downey Jr was a proper actor, doing actor films.

Head Gardener

watched it this afternoon and it wasn't that bad, just really dumb rubbish and Downey's Welsh accent dubbed on is just fucking annoying,
I have to admit though I enjoyed it more than Marriage Story

Quote from: Bazooka on February 08, 2020, 03:10:55 PM
Bets on which will flop hardest, this or Sonic?

I imagine Doolittle has a bigger budget, so farther to fall.

rue the polywhirl

I see the remake has been purposefully abbreviated to Dolittle so it serves as a complete prediction of its takings at the box office, fnar fnar.

Maybe they could improve the Sonic movie's chances by making it as bad as possible again?: revert to the original design and redub his voice with Robert Downey Jr's Welsh accent.

Shit Good Nose

Mrs Nose took Little Nose to see it last weekend.  Mrs Nose thought it was okay (though made the same comment about RDJ's Welsh accent as Head Gardener), Little Nose thoroughly enjoyed it whilst she gave up half an hour into the 67 one (which itself isn't that good, and painfully slow).  Not subjected her to the Eddie Murphy one yet.

beanheadmcginty

Whenever I hear or see the word "Doolittle" all I think of is that sketch from Harry Enfield and him saying "say bollocks".

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Pixie fan, thread leaving, disappointed, etc.

Icehaven

Quote from: bgmnts on February 08, 2020, 03:18:56 PM
I vaguely remember a time when Downey Jr was a proper actor, doing actor films.

Iron Man put the kibosh on that unfortunately. I think the last stab he had at anything that isn't wham-bang-hey-kids-cgi-megabudget was The Judge in 2014, and that wasn't all that great and didn't exactly set the world alight. Maybe if this flops hard enough he'll change tack again.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: icehaven on February 09, 2020, 11:18:19 AM
Iron Man put the kibosh on that unfortunately. I think the last stab he had at anything that isn't wham-bang-hey-kids-cgi-megabudget was The Judge in 2014, and that wasn't all that great and didn't exactly set the world alight. Maybe if this flops hard enough he'll change tack again.
The Judge has an excellent diarrhoea scene.

bgmnts

Quote from: icehaven on February 09, 2020, 11:18:19 AM

Last good film I remember him being in was Zodiac, but that's it.

Mister Six

I thought he sacked off Iron Man so he could do proper acting again. What's he involved in this shite for? Surely he doesn't need the money. Is it that thing where an actor has really young kids and wants to do a "proper" family film for them, only to choose some pile of absolute shite?

Shit Good Nose

To be fair he signed on to Dolittle when he was still very much in the Marvel prison world, and one of his upcoming films is a biopic of John Brinkley.  Mind you, he's also doing another Sherlock and some (no doubt) shit sports comedy with Gerard Butler.

Probs more accurate to say he sacked off Iron Man so he could do something other than a Marvel film.  ANYTHING other than a Marvel film.

olliebean

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 09, 2020, 01:56:16 PMANYTHING other than a Marvel film.

To be fair, that's pretty much my attitude when I go to the cinema these days.

Shit Good Nose

Ditto.  The whole thing has become boring and too much like hard work.

Small Man Big Horse

This is such a weird fucking film, I mean it includes a scene where
Spoiler alert
a gorilla abuses a lion's
[close]
testicles
Spoiler alert
and the big climax sees Robert Downey Jr
[close]
fist
Spoiler alert
a dragon (I swear I'm not making this up)
[close]
, and yet it's still not that good. Most of the time that's due to the talking animals and their annoyingly sassy one liners, but Downey Jnr is a charisma vacuum for the first time in his career (and who insists on talking in a bad Welsh accent for some unknown reason) and plot wise despite being a bit odd it's also often quite bland. 5.6/10

Edit: To add a couple more details.

SteveDave

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 09, 2020, 11:33:31 AM

One of the greatest diarrhoea scenes ever!

Icehaven

Quote from: bgmnts on February 09, 2020, 11:34:07 AM
Last good film I remember him being in was Zodiac, but that's it.

And that was 2007! Come on Rob, throw the adults a bone.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 09, 2020, 01:56:16 PM
one of his upcoming films is a biopic of John Brinkley. 

OK I'd give this a go.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 09, 2020, 01:56:16 PMProbs more accurate to say he sacked off Iron Man so he could do something other than a Marvel film.  ANYTHING other than a Marvel film.
He's not sacked it off completely just yet - he's in the Black Widow film out in May, albeit I imagine with a cameo role.

Shaky

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 09, 2020, 11:33:31 AM

Ha, indeed. I was flicking channels one day only to land on that scene in isolation knowing nothing about the film.  A real "what the fuck" moment.

notjosh

It's all CGI isn't it? Why would anyone want to do an animal movie with no animals in it? Where's the joy in that?

I still think the Rex Harrison one is pretty good and unfairly maligned. Probably the closest we'll ever get to a true adaptation of the (delightful) books.

notjosh

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 09, 2020, 01:56:16 PM
To be fair he signed on to Dolittle when he was still very much in the Marvel prison world, and one of his upcoming films is a biopic of John Brinkley.  Mind you, he's also doing another Sherlock and some (no doubt) shit sports comedy with Gerard Butler.

The Sherlock movies are great though. At least the first one is, and the second one deserves credit for a beautifully underplayed Moriarty and a thrilling Reichenbach Falls confrontation.