Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite under the radar actors

Started by oy vey, February 08, 2020, 08:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oy vey

I noticed Chris Cooper in recent movies A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Little Women. He's a fine actor who doesn't seem to mind playing forgettable and sometimes unlikable supporting characters. I enjoy it when he crops up.

Do you have any favourites? Under rated, under achieved, cast aside by the A-list cunt fest but perhaps happy with their lot...

Shit Good Nose

I'm a HUGE fan of three actors who are generally called "character" actors, but their versatility makes them proper bona fide five alarm chameleons - Dermot Mulroney, Bobby Cannavale and John Carroll Lynch.  Absolute modern masters of their craft.  Mulroney especially - leading man heart throb, action hero, villain, tortured everyman, you name it he's nailed it, even when the film overall has been a bit iffy.

One of my other favourite actors - although he tends to play the same type of character - is Bob Balaban.  I like him because he's always very low key, naturalistic and believable.  Always a stand-out straight man in Christopher Guest's films.

Annie Labuntur

Not sure what the baby's name is but it was a great performance.

Shit Good Nose

Oh very good.

Thought the teddy bear was more realistic, though.  The baby played to the back of the room a bit much for me.

famethrowa

Thomas Lennon. Love that guy and always happy to see him getting work.

oy vey

Bob "never be hot always be warm" Balaban, yes. The first time I saw him was in 2010 The Year We Make Contact. It's a shit movie but Bob is so good as HAL 9000's creator. Him and John Lithgow make the movie, along with Douglas Rain and Kier Dullea. I was (pleasantly) shocked to see Bob's comedic associations later because he's utterly straight and earnest in 2010.