Author Topic: Favourite under the radar actors  (Read 608 times)

oy vey

• [sic]
Favourite under the radar actors
« on: February 08, 2020, 08:55:31 PM »
I noticed Chris Cooper in recent movies A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Little Women. He's a fine actor who doesn't seem to mind playing forgettable and sometimes unlikable supporting characters. I enjoy it when he crops up.

Do you have any favourites? Under rated, under achieved, cast aside by the A-list cunt fest but perhaps happy with their lot...

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
Re: Favourite under the radar actors
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 09:07:04 PM »
I'm a HUGE fan of three actors who are generally called "character" actors, but their versatility makes them proper bona fide five alarm chameleons - Dermot Mulroney, Bobby Cannavale and John Carroll Lynch.  Absolute modern masters of their craft.  Mulroney especially - leading man heart throb, action hero, villain, tortured everyman, you name it he's nailed it, even when the film overall has been a bit iffy.

One of my other favourite actors - although he tends to play the same type of character - is Bob Balaban.  I like him because he's always very low key, naturalistic and believable.  Always a stand-out straight man in Christopher Guest's films.

Annie Labuntur

• Next train's gone
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 10:09:55 PM »
Not sure what the baby's name is but it was a great performance.

Shit Good Nose

• Several bags of balls
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 10:12:25 PM »
Oh very good.

Thought the teddy bear was more realistic, though.  The baby played to the back of the room a bit much for me.

famethrowa

• mere rhetorical frippery
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 11:52:44 PM »
Thomas Lennon. Love that guy and always happy to see him getting work.

oy vey

• [sic]
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 09:09:59 AM »
Bob "never be hot always be warm" Balaban, yes. The first time I saw him was in 2010 The Year We Make Contact. It's a shit movie but Bob is so good as HAL 9000's creator. Him and John Lithgow make the movie, along with Douglas Rain and Kier Dullea. I was (pleasantly) shocked to see Bob's comedic associations later because he's utterly straight and earnest in 2010.

Tags: