Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

WHat's the best season of Justified to watch (or other recommends)

Started by paruses, February 09, 2020, 01:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

All -

Am using the (not as bad as I'd like) weather to check out today and spend the day on here and watching stuff in the background on the laptop.

I have Prime and want to watch some Justified. I've seen all bar the last season - but years ago - and I want something I can have on but not worry about missing bits as I've seen it before. Loved Justified - just can't remember it that well - so this fits the bill pretty well.

Other recommendations welcome.

Mister Six

Second season is the best season, I think that's pretty uncontroversial, but it's all good bar (I think?) whichever one starts with a flashback to a dead parachutist. I'd say the final season is probably the second-best, but you really want to watch it through (even the crap season) rather than jump right to it.

Funcrusher

Yeah, it's all good, watch the whole thing. It's awesome and very underrated.

paruses

Quote from: Funcrusher on February 09, 2020, 02:05:51 PM
Yeah, it's all good, watch the whole thing. It's awesome and very underrated.

Yes - agree completely. Seem to remember the first season is more procedural and episodic but still better than that - will go for the second then. Thanks

Ignatius_S

Definitely watch the whole show – Yost and Olyphant had a very clear vision for the show and believe that's reflected in the overall narrative. For, it's the most satisfying show in its entirety since The Shield.

paruses – Yost used to do a post-mortem of each episode with Entertainment Weekly; not sure when they started but can't recommend them enough. Really interesting to learn more about the creative process for episodes and how things changed from original ideas.

It also highlighted some of Olyphant's creative input – IIRC, he worked quite closely with one writing. One example I can think of is that he suggested an early scene was moved towards the end, which fixed the reservations the team had about the episode.

Another is was to do with Art having a killer line. Yost mentioned that originally, it was Raylan's but Olyphant thought it worked better if Art said it. Only a little thing maybe, but Olyphant doesn't come across as the type who was counting his lines or ensuring the spotlight was on him all time.

Quote from: Mister Six on February 09, 2020, 02:02:49 PM
Second season is the best season, I think that's pretty uncontroversial, but it's all good bar (I think?) whichever one starts with a flashback to a dead parachutist. I'd say the final season is probably the second-best, but you really want to watch it through (even the crap season) rather than jump right to it.

I think two probably had the biggest impact on me, but wasn't as satisfying on rewatches – however, suspect the first time it was going in with such high expectations. Also, that doesn't detract from how good it was the first time round for me.

The parachutist (inspired by an actual incident) was the fourth season - personally, I liked it a lot. Something that I found interesting from people posting online, there seemed to be quite varied

phes

Absolutely agree that you need to watch this from start to finish, albeit that season one features more procedural episodes than subsequent seasons. Season two does seem to be one of the most popular, though it's one of my least favorite

6/3, 1/4, 2, 5 is probably my best to 'worst' rank.

The dialogue (and the subtext), casting, the chemistry, quantity of fantastic recurring and bit-part characters, the aesthetic. Justified is stunning

Edit: guilty of not reading OP properly. I've seen justified several times and I have come round to thinking season 3 is the best. It's barking and also very funny

Mister Six

I did start to feel sorry for Neal McDonaugh after a while, with all the names they called him. My favourite was "a guy who looks like he shits blonde".