Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:26:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Buying a PS4 Advice

Started by Puce Moment, February 09, 2020, 02:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

Ok, so I have finally committed to getting a PS4 but naturally have no fucking idea what I'm doing. But there's nothing like a storm outside on a Sunday to make you want to piss about playing games.

I have seen some deals that have 500gb PS4s with a game bundle (rdr, cod etc) for £250 which seems ok. However, they seem to have a much lower spec than the pro consoles which are a hundred quid more.

The other issue is that I own NO games. Ideally I would get games that I can play with my wife, so 2-player stuff would be good. Sooo... should I get a 2nd hand console from some thief on gumtree which comes with a bundle of games and maybe some good handsets? Or does the way they get used by people mean I should I play safe and go for something new?

Any help or advice about this is much appreciated, as always.

Sin Agog

I'll wait until someone more schooled on this shit comes by, but I can say that bundles are marked up to the stratosphere.

Thursday

Pro console is if you've got a 4K /HDR tv, if not, you probably don't need to worry about it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A mate of mine has the pro version and a 4K telly, while I have the standard one and a 1080p telly. I can't tell the difference.

If they sell one with a bigger hard disk, you might want to get that. 500gb might sound capacious, but downloads and updates soon add up. You can also replace the standard disk with a larger one easily enough.

As for games, I tend to get then on Ebay. You can usually get stuff for under 25 quid, unopened, as long as it's a year old or more. It's also worth keeping an eye out for sales on the PSN Store. You can get plenty of big triple A stuff dirt cheap

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 09, 2020, 06:15:11 PM
If they sell one with a bigger hard disk, you might want to get that. 500gb might sound capacious, but downloads and updates soon add up. You can also replace the standard disk with a larger one easily enough.

Aye, I'm not technical at all, but I did a bit of research and swapped in a 2tb HD (solid state for speed and durability) easy enough. So long as you get the right size (physical size, - I forget, but the info is out there) the only hassle is transferring your saves as you need quite a big USB to do so if you don't have a PS Pro account. So best done earlier than later.

Bazooka

Yeah 500GB fills up fast if you plan on having several or more games,patches are sometimes the size of some games. I just have a couple of external 1TB drives on the go, but yeah can also do what others said. I also have a ton of games that have no physical release so HD is full of digital games, and yeah some crazy discounts on the ps store.

CeX is also gold for picking up games for cheap, rarely worth buying them new, they can drop by £10 or £15 quid in vex from new. in a month.

Most games that are co-op are online, not so many are split screen if you wanted to play with your wife, but a list here of some:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomsguide.com/uk/amp/round-up/best-split-screen-ps4-games

Not the best list, but it's something, obviously fighting games are optimal.

Pink Gregory

Get Overcooked.  Always my first recommend for local co op.

Puce Moment

Thanks all - that's really helpful. Great advice as usual, and many thanks to Bazooka for that excellent split-screen list! That has really pushed me to buy one so imagine I will go over to Cex in the morning after staying up to On Cinema at the Cinema Oscar Special of course.

So, I think I am going to go with a 1TB PS4 with a packed game (probably GTA or CoD) from Cex, as it does offer me some guarantee that I would not get from using gumtree. Also, their prices are equatable to private second hand sales so happy to with that. But I will be buying up some bundles of games after I have checked out what I can get by downloading (my preferred option).

Looking forward to playing Bomberman!

Broforce is a great fun local multiplayer game.

ToneLa

Paying their stupid PS Plus fee is arguably worth it - 2 free games a month (do yourself a favour and get it from CDKeys.com instead cause it'll be well cheaper)

Unfortunately it's not backdated (so you can't get the free games from the past), but this month has Shadow of the Colossus!! And, er, Sonic Forces

Sin Agog

I bought one on ebay a month ago for £60 with about eight games from, I assume, a dyslexic who tried and failed to spell Playstation.

Are there any decent arcade racing games at all on the ps4, aside from CTR?  Seem to be a few new series I've never heard of.

Bazooka

Quote from: ToneLa on March 05, 2020, 11:00:26 AM
Paying their stupid PS Plus fee is arguably worth it - 2 free games a month (do yourself a favour and get it from CDKeys.com instead cause it'll be well cheaper)

Unfortunately it's not backdated (so you can't get the free games from the past), but this month has Shadow of the Colossus!! And, er, Sonic Forces

Ha I'm actually looking forward to playing Sonic forces for a laugh.  I beat Shadow of the Colossus on ps2, will be fun to play through it again some time. Good thing about ps+ is even if you have no space on the hd for them, you can start downloading them and keep them there before the next month.

Bazooka

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 05, 2020, 11:09:39 AM
I bought one on ebay a month ago for £60 with about eight games from, I assume, a dyslexic who tried and failed to spell Playstation.

Are there any decent arcade racing games at all on the ps4, aside from CTR?  Seem to be a few new series I've never heard of.

Need for Speed is arcadish, Heat is the newest one, but there are some others on there for cheapest.

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 05, 2020, 11:09:39 AM
Burnout Paradise Remastered is old, but it's the purest arcade racing fun. If you want something newer, Drive Club is good.

Sheffield Wednesday

I think DriveClub has been delisted, so that's unfortunately no longer an option.

Trackmania Turbo is another one to consider, very very fast, lots of cool time trial ranking stuff which tells you where you are in the world and the country and even in your local area. It's kind of like the Hot Wheels DLC for Forza Horizon 3, lots of loops and jumps and ramps and hairpin bends. It's brilliant pure arcade racing fun, even if it lacks a little personality or identity.