Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:19:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars cartoons

Started by Dex Sawash, February 09, 2020, 02:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

You know, for kids.

Rebels-
In one of the SW movies threads, someone said SW Rebels was good. Finally got around to watching. Pretty gritty, in an early episode a kid
Spoiler alert
kills another kid
[close]
which was odd for a kids show. Starts off looking like it is just Alladin in Space but moves on from there.
Some complex character treatments, Darth Maul in particular (I thought Maul was shit in films). Some quality voice acting from bigger names. Tommy from Trainspotting reprises his Lucius Vorenus role from Rome only he's a Mandalorian this time. Treats women better than Clone Wars did. Easy to watch passively while reading CaB. Individual episodes are not fabulous but overall story arc isn't bad.

Clone Wars-
I have only seen a handful of eps, long time ago. The female Jedi are dressed as aerobics instructors with tits out while the males wear robes. Baddie's (separatists?) comedic idiot droid army very annoying. 3/10
Will try to watch a few more.

I tried to watch Clone Wars - Austin Teseltine? - sequentially, but I had to give up because it starts out as a show which is strictly for the kiddies. There are episodes about Jar Jar, for example. I later used a fan-made viewers guide to find the recommended episodes and the story arcs which interested me. I probably watched about 15 in total, and I enjoyed them.

Hand Solo

I liked this as a kid:

Never saw Droids, though. Was that any cop? Seems to have had Anthony Daniels doing reprising the voice, bet Kenny Baker was miffed he couldn't do the right whistles and beeps for a pay cheque.

I remember seeing Ewoks as a child and being disappointed that it had nothing to do with the wider Star Wars universe. No Rebellion, Empire, or appearances from your favourite characters. Just Ewoks - and they didn't even look like the Ewoks in the film. They looked more like the Care Bears. Not sure why they would make a Star Wars cartoon that hardly had any Star Wars in it. Maybe that was a limitation imposed by Lucas, compartmentalising the brand.

I watched a bit of Droids on YouTube and it does at least seem to include elements from the films. Lightsabers, speeders, the occasional stormtrooper shows up. But the art style is tacky as hell, the music is eighties cheese, and it doesn't feel like Star Wars at all. No child would be duped by this.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Default to the negative on February 09, 2020, 03:29:07 PM
Lightsabers, speeders, the occasional stormtrooper shows up. But the art style is tacky as hell, the music is eighties cheese, and it doesn't feel like Star Wars at all. No child would be duped by this

Sounds spot on to me

Hand Solo

Quote from: Default to the negative on February 09, 2020, 03:29:07 PM
I remember seeing Ewoks as a child and being disappointed that it had nothing to do with the wider Star Wars universe. No Rebellion, Empire, or appearances from your favourite characters. Just Ewoks - and they didn't even look like the Ewoks in the film. They looked more like the Care Bears. Not sure why they would make a Star Wars cartoon that hardly had any Star Wars in it. Maybe that was a limitation imposed by Lucas, compartmentalising the brand.

True, I just liked the hippy-dippy tree-hugging, magic and stupid catchphrases. Lucas must have realised the Ewoks were a bit of a kiddy money-spinner and decided to push them to the fore for merchandising purposes? Weren't there a few spin-off movies about Ewoks? I remember at least 2 or 3 movies, one had some fast-moving rabbit type creature, too? Ah..

The Ewok Adventure

Ewoks: The Battle for Endor

Described as.. The 2 Star Wars Films They Don't Want You To See

Pranet

I remember watching Caravan of Courage at a birthday party. We were pretty excited at the time -new Star Wars!- he was a rich kid, perhaps his parents bought the VHS. Watching those videos reminded me of the horrible blond curly abomination. Kids don't like other kids like that do they? Ever?

Hand Solo

Argh! Can't think of what Wicket's horrifying face reminds me of?

Thursday

Watch the Genndy Tartakovsky clone wars instead of that ugly CGI one. This is all the episode edited into one feature length video. They were all originally 5 minute segments that aired on Cartoon Network, so it may feel a bit structurally odd, but it can be genuinely good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLdlwZUO5mo

Dog Botherer

^ came here to plug the Tartakovsky shorts too. just good star wars fun.

madhair60

Clone Wars and Rebels are the best Star Wars things

Here's a very impressive fan-made animation:

TIE Fighter

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 10, 2020, 01:32:56 PM
Here's a clip with the bit I spoilered in OP

https://youtu.be/ZIg3vlctvIc

He didn't kill them. Blue ring is a stun shot. Like this:

Set for stun

Dog Botherer

yeah circles is stunnies, lines is fucking dead mate. basic star wars.

showed the 8y/o the tartakovsky stuff, no interest. what the fuck does he know anyway.