Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:30:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Trying your best and realising that you are just shit.

Started by Pinckle Wicker, February 09, 2020, 03:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Small Man Big Horse

I disagree (edit: with Pinckle Wicker, not Glebe). Also, even if you have been shit, you're well aware of it, which makes you better than 95% of people.

bgmnts

Yeah i'm in the same boat, I've been trying to figure out what my brain is wired for and good at; its not language learning, numbers, creativity, reasoning and logic etc nothing. I didn't think that was even possible unless having serious mental disabilities.

Cuellar

katzenjammer

At least you've figured out what it is you want to be good at.

Buelligan

Even if it's only being extremely good at being shit, that's win in anyone's book.  It's a win.

Chin up old bat, chin up. 

Sebastian Cobb

Nobody else gives a shit if you're good at something, why should you?

Ray Travez

The problem is we're still just monkeys; we're not equipped to deal with any of this. The monkey mind is having a breakdown.
We should be sat in a tree eating mango, and flinging our own shit at whatever is the monkey equivalent of Nigel Farage. The whole thing's got way out of hand.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Pinckle Wicker on February 09, 2020, 03:19:34 PM
Yep. That's me. I am shit. Bye now!

I'll admit, you don't seem to be very good at explaining what's wrong.

Rizla

Better that than knowing how mega-ace you are at everything but not giving enough of a fuck to even bother your arse, believe me.

Johnny Yesno

^^That's a flippant way of inviting you to share your woes, if you feel the need, by the way.

Butchers Blind

You just have to find what you're good at; in some cases its building a useless robot for picking up dog shit.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

If you're shit at a hobby, do you still enjoy doing it? Because I'm not very good at my hobby but I still enjoy it and that's what's most important. If you're shit at your job... are you still getting your work done? Are you not fired yet? Is it keeping your lights on? Because you can be competent at your job and not be outstanding.

pancreas

Get really good at one small thing, that's my advice. For example, get really good at making omelettes. Not just a bit good, really good. Then invite people round to eat omelettes. People will say, crikey, this omelette is the opposite of shit. You will be carried aloft on waves of glory and sedan chairs etc.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: pancreas on February 09, 2020, 05:36:05 PM
Get really good at one small thing, that's my advice. For example, get really good at making omelettes. Not just a bit good, really good. Then invite people round to eat omelettes. People will say, crikey, this omelette is the opposite of shit. You will be carried aloft on waves of glory and sedan chairs etc.

"Fucking hell, pancreas has invited us over for tea again.  I honestly never thought I'd tire of eggs, but it's omelette every single fucking time.  'Oooohhh, a REAL treat I've got for you tonight!' he says, and I get all excited, but then he walks into the dining room with another fucking omelette and the only difference is it's sat in a bowl made of ice or it's got some fucking microherb that you can't even taste sat on top of it.  'Eat it before it melts!' he laughs.  I'll fucking eat him before he melts..."

pancreas

And the other thing, of course, is to ignore the haters. They're just jealous of your omelettes, that's all.

Dewt

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on February 09, 2020, 03:20:31 PM
I disagree (edit: with Pinckle Wicker, not Glebe). Also, even if you have been shit, you're well aware of it, which makes you better than 95% of people.
software engineering is a job made ten times more difficult by people who don't understand software engineering making decisions

holyzombiejesus

The best advice that I can offer is to never try your best. I never really have an issue with failure as I never try very hard.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: pancreas on February 09, 2020, 05:51:31 PM
And the other thing, of course, is to ignore the haters. They're just jealous of your omelettes, that's all.

pancreas: "so this cunt - I think his name's Stephen - keeps moaning about my AMAZING omelettes, so I says to him 'well why don't you invite me to your place and YOU cook me a fucking omelette if you think you're so amazing!'  Anyway, the next day I went over and he was fucking around in the kitchen for what felt like hours, and he FINALLY stumbles in with a big smug grin on his face, and do you know what he's served me?  Scrambled eggs.  Scrambled fucking eggs!  I says 'that's not an omelette' the same way Paul Hogan goes on about that knife, but just as I'm about to whip out the perfect omelette that I brought along just in case, he skulks off with his limp cock in his hand, crying.  Win for pancs."

flotemysost

Without knowing anything about OP, you post on a comedy forum so therefore you've presumably got some interest in and understanding of humour, which is more than can be said for many people I've met - I don't even mean being into stand-up or sitcoms or whatever as a specific hobby, just appreciating stuff that's funny and finding the humour in things.

I really do think this is an underrated quality - obviously humour is highly subjective but it's really obvious when you meet someone who just seems to totally lack that sense.

Whenever I feel like a boring, useless twat I remind myself of one of my aunts, who said once that she dreaded having days off work because she didn't have any interests outside work and didn't know what to do (she's not into music or reading or sports or films or anything). I just can't get my head round that. And she's not a bad person, she's very generous and thoughtful, so yeah, everyone has something.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotevery generous

A workaholic with no hobbies.... Ya don't say

thenoise

I'm very good at padding out threads with one sentence posts that add very little, but keep things ticking along in between the really funny stuff.

madhair60

If that was a cheerfully suicidal "bye now" could you please not do yourself in? Thanks.

massive bereavement

I thought I was shit at everything until I realised I had a great talent for avoiding or getting out of doing things that everybody else feels compelled to do, which might just possibly be one of the most useful skills anybody could be blessed with.

I get the impression that a lot of people are still trying to impress or appease that parent in their head, whereas I was always trying to convince mine that there was something wrong with me and they wouldn't have it, as a result of which I've always took a great deal of satisfaction in failing to live up to expectations.

The emphasis is always on what you could do, or should do, or can do. I say the first thing anybody who is unhappy should be thinking about is what they can stop or give up doing. Take all of the effort out of it, make things easier for yourself and don't feel guilty about it.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: madhair60 on February 09, 2020, 09:05:30 PM
If that was a cheerfully suicidal "bye now" could you please not do yourself in? Thanks.

That's a good point. It turns out you're quite good at unsettling us Pinckle Wicker. Please can you be more shit at that?

Psmith

You've got to think of how many really shit people there are out there.We've seen evidence of that in the last few days.
And they don't give a shit about being shit.
So stop talking shit and ..............just have a shit ? no,that's shit....um....I'm shit at this!

Urinal Cake

Just remember the world isn't a meritocracy. The talented aren't always recognised and rewarded either.

flotemysost

Quote from: weekender
^

Bit trans.

I'm not sure what you mean by this I'm afraid. It was just meant to be a positive comment/observation.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach!
A workaholic with no hobbies.... Ya don't say

I meant generous with her time and efforts, she's always offering to help out with stuff and give people lifts etc.

Anyway I don't want to derail this - hope Pinkle Wicker is doing OK. (I love that username btw, so there's another non-shit thing.)