Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:19:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Trying your best and realising that you are just shit.

Started by Pinckle Wicker, February 09, 2020, 03:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hummingofevil

After a series of pretty shit life events that cumulated with me hating my fucking job  as a teacher I decided I was just shit and quit everything. I was lucky enough that I had a little bit of savings so took a year off, spent the first few months hitting the gym, walking miles every day and losing a bit of weight. Then spent the next few months studying languages and felt much happier but then stuckin tha rut of just avoiding real life.

When I finally ran out of money I went back as supply teacher with a totally different mindset; I have thrown my all into it and am fucking very much not shit (I only say that as redemption - I would never boast but feel I deserve to give myself a little pat on the back for putting those wrongs right). The only downside is I have taken a 70% pay cut. Oops.

The key point is that non-of-us are shit. Life throws shit at us and it sticks. Eventually we think it us that stinks but if you can remove yourself from the shit spray, wash yourself down and come back afresh it is possible to rebuild.

Please look after yourself and remember that. Peace and love.

steve98

You might also like "Pinklewink Humperdicker." (Which shall be my new name if Pinkle Wicker is no more)

Johnny Yesno

Well, this is a bit rum. Are you alright, Pinckle Wicker?

canadagoose

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on February 11, 2020, 09:56:27 PM
Well, this is a bit rum. Are you alright, Pinckle Wicker?
I'm also hoping he's OK, but don't worry if you're not, PW. Come back!

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 09, 2020, 09:04:18 PM
A workaholic with no hobbies.... Ya don't say

I do 60hr weeks. I have lots of hobbies. Can't recall any at the moment.

Cerys

The great thing about being shit is that it allows for massive amounts of improvement.  So even if you are shit, that doesn't mean you're worthless.

Kryton

Better to be shit at some things and be a great bunch of lads and also a good person than say,being  good at everything and also being a cunt, generally.
'Fuck em.

Noodle Lizard

I think it's a relatively recent idea that everyone's got a talent, or a gift, or a purpose, even a "vocation". It's manifestly untrue, always has been, and the notion (well-meaning though it may be) is probably responsible for a lot of the absolute misery and worthlessness people feel in modern society. At least in the days of serfdom people weren't cursed with the constant pressure to be "outstanding". It should tell you something that even the vast majority of people who've had successful careers at something (whether it be the arts or business) aren't actually outstanding at what they do by most metrics. Luck and schmooze-capability have far more to do with success than anything else does, from what I can tell. Even a strong work ethic is overrated.

If you're comfortable and not dying, you're doing better than 99% of the life on this planet. That's worth everything. Fuck the rest of it.

Ray Travez

Nicely put. It's a uniquely human folly to saddle ourselves with notions of 'purpose', 'self-improvement' and 'striving.' To paraphrase Darryl Bailey- a horse isn't considering its career as a horse; a squirrel isn't looking for ways to become a better squirrel, a holly bush isn't thinking, "if I try harder I could become a mighty oak." Only human beings are conditioned to think that what we do is never good enough; there's always another level to be reached.

I suspect it's partly driven by capitalist ideology, and it's bullshit. It's hard to purge all that crap from one's thinking though, in my experience.

kngen

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on February 12, 2020, 03:53:28 AM
Luck and schmooze-capability have far more to do with success than anything else does, from what I can tell. Even a strong work ethic is overrated.

Yep, as someone who far exceeded my own expectations in my career (let alone my friends and family's expectations of me, which was probably 'one notch up from a terminal jakey in a towerblock stairwell'), my dirty little not-really-secret was that - at two or three major inflection points in my life - I got really fucking lucky with choices I made or with the people I met. It was quite weird to work alongside people who were convinced that they had got to where they were by their own hard graft and nothing else (made for some good arguments in the pub when I would point out how 'that couldn't possibly be the case, you posh cunt!')

The other thing I did was make myself indispensable (see 'strong work ethic') by being available at all times. Bad move, as that leads to an overload of stress, exhaustion and ultimately a nervous breakdown. Even after getting over that, I'd still fantasise about cycling into the side of a bus on the way to the office in order to sustain a long-term injury so I wouldn't have to go to work. And all this heartache was for what? So that I could, at some point, just sit and do fuck all - my favourite thing in the world. As the great sage Lawrence from Office Space says: 'You don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Just take a look at my cousin, he's broke, don't do shit."

So, aye, give yourself a break. 'Success' is an illusion, and those that strive for it hardest are probably the least equipped to enjoy it, whatever that nebulous term actually means.

Danger Man

Luck and schmooze-capability have far more to do with success than anything else does, from what I can tell. Even a strong work ethic is overrated.

I've met some 'super-rich' people in my time and I have to agree, luck and schmoozing are the things you need for the final push to the summit.

bgmnts

Imagine being a nurse or a fireman or someone slaving away in a factory or owt and being told by some absolute bellsniff in a suit that they got where they were by hard work and talent. You'd want to fucking cunt em up and down the street.

Pingers

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 12, 2020, 01:01:55 AM
I do 60hr weeks. I have lots of hobbies. Can't recall any at the moment.

Is your hobby in fact Workahol?

Ferris

Pingers

Danger Man

Quote from: bgmnts on February 12, 2020, 02:13:21 PM
Imagine being a nurse

OK......God there's so much paperwork......I hate it when the patients ask for something or their fucking families interrupt me when I'm busy........I just wish everybody would die so that I can get on with running a hospital....

Cerys

Twit 2

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 12, 2020, 09:24:32 AM
Nicely put. It's a uniquely human folly to saddle ourselves with notions of 'purpose', 'self-improvement' and 'striving.' To paraphrase Darryl Bailey- a horse isn't considering its career as a horse; a squirrel isn't looking for ways to become a better squirrel, a holly bush isn't thinking, "if I try harder I could become a mighty oak." Only human beings are conditioned to think that what we do is never good enough; there's always another level to be reached.

I suspect it's partly driven by capitalist ideology, and it's bullshit. It's hard to purge all that crap from one's thinking though, in my experience.

I think it's a relatively recent idea that everyone's got a talent, or a gift, or a purpose, even a "vocation". It's manifestly untrue, always has been, and the notion (well-meaning though it may be) is probably responsible for a lot of the absolute misery and worthlessness people feel in modern society. At least in the days of serfdom people weren't cursed with the constant pressure to be "outstanding". It should tell you something that even the vast majority of people who've had successful careers at something (whether it be the arts or business) aren't actually outstanding at what they do by most metrics. Luck and schmooze-capability have far more to do with success than anything else does, from what I can tell. Even a strong work ethic is overrated.

If you're comfortable and not dying, you're doing better than 99% of the life on this planet. That's worth everything. Fuck the rest of it.

Quote from: Emil Cioran, 'Drawn and Quartered'

If the waves began to reflect, they would suppose that they were advancing, that they had a goal, that they were making progress, that they were working for the Sea's good, and they would not fail to elaborate a philosophy as stupid as their zeal.

Quote from: Emil Cioran, 'The Trouble with Being Born'A zoologist who observed gorillas in their native habitat was amazed by the uniformity of their life and their vast idleness. Hours and hours without doing anything. Was boredom unknown to them? This is indeed a question raised by a human, a busy ape. Far from fleeing monotony, animals crave it, and what they most dread is to see it end. For it ends, only to be replaced by fear, the cause of all activity. Inaction is divine; yet it is against inaction that man has rebelled. Man alone, in nature, is incapable of enduring monotony, man alone wants something to happen at all costs — something, anything.... Thereby he shows himself unworthy of his ancestor: the need for novelty is the characteristic of an alienated gorilla.

Blue Jam

Are you good at anything useless?

Get a Twitch stream.

Asked it in the Fallen Members thread already, but has anyone heard from Pinckle Wicker since?

Johnny Yesno

He still hasn't logged in since starting this thread.

Yeah, I saw that. Also looks like he's been here for 15 years at least, which was why I wondered if anyone knew him outside CaB.

Might be nothing, I know. This was just the first thread that came to mind when people were talking about Joeybananaduck.