Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:09:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bridge over the Irish Sea

Started by Phoenix Lazarus, February 09, 2020, 04:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
No, not a Simon and Garfunkel rewrite, an actual plan to build a bridge between Scotland and Ireland. It would be twenty miles long. Good idea or not? Likely to happen or not?

https://dailybusinessgroup.co.uk/2020/02/johnson-revives-plan-for-20bn-bridge-over-irish-sea/

bgmnts

This plan has been in the pipes for ages I think. Someone posted on here exactly how it would be almost impossible to do, possibly something about the depth or state of the bed of water , can't remember.

Utter drivel though, as per from this utter shower.

BlodwynPig

Wasn't this debunked last year due to the massive munitions dump off the coast of Scotland ?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 09, 2020, 04:56:39 PM
massive munitions dump off the coast of Scotland ?

You mean Ireland?

B'BOOM, etc.

Buelligan

I think Johnson must know someone that regularly scams enormous sums of money out of public bodies with bridge-building schemes. 

Maybe he should offer to build an immigration bridge for Trump between Mexico and the US, it might be more expensive than the wall but it would certainly work better.

hummingofevil

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 09, 2020, 04:56:39 PM
Wasn't this debunked last year due to the massive munitions dump off the coast of Scotland ?

Aye. I once had a chat with a man from MoD about it who told me it was full and that unused handgrenades often wash up on the beach in Rhyl.

Sebastian Cobb

Very unlikely to happen, largely because of Britain's policy of fucking its bombs and chemical weapons straight into it.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

yeah boris where are you going to get the money for that, your cavernous arsehole

you'll have to put customs checks on either end anyway you know

QuoteProfessor Alan Dunlop, a fellow of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland, supported Irish Taoiseach Leo Varadkar who backed the idea at the end of last year.
fuck off leo toryboy

idunnosomename

just because there are longer stretches that have been bridged does not mean it is anyway possible to do it over the Irish Sea, which has some very deep trenches, frequently very high winds and also yes fucking munition dumps

Buelligan

I wonder if this is about sexing up the DUP again, I hear they're a bit glum at the mo.

BlodwynPig

I tell you what if I get the job at UCD, this will solve my travelling plans given my fear of flying and bumpy ferry journeys

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 09, 2020, 05:02:44 PM
frequently very high winds

fuck it

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 09, 2020, 05:04:41 PM
I tell you what if I get the job at UCD, this will solve my travelling plans given my fear of flying and bumpy ferry journeys

Does accommodation come with the post (I hope so).  If yes, move there and stay there, that's my advice.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on February 09, 2020, 05:06:31 PM
Does accommodation come with the post (I hope so).  If yes, move there and stay there, that's my advice.

I'll probably turn it down as 1 semester per year has to be spent in China, that can get to fuck - anyway, Leeds, Arhus, Ghent, Cambridge or Toronto are the other options at the moment

Cuellar

Fambo Number Mive

Johnson seems addicted to wasting lots of public money on bridges that won't happen. Did we have to leave the EU so we have more money to waste on infrastructure projects that go nowhere?

This is what happens when a politician who helped waste millions of public money on a Garden Bridge that never happened and a pointless cable car is elected Prime Minister. Maybe next month he will call for billions to be spent on a giant monkey bars from Britain to the Falklands.

According to that link he is going to do a u turn on Heathrow expansion as well.

imitationleather

I don't think he considers giving his mates all this cash "a waste of money". He cares a lot less about whether the thing is actually built or will ever be useful.

Buelligan

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 09, 2020, 05:07:31 PM
I'll probably turn it down as 1 semester per year has to be spent in China, that can get to fuck - anyway, Leeds, Arhus, Ghent, Cambridge or Toronto are the other options at the moment

Still, Dublin, nice. 

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Cuellar on February 09, 2020, 05:08:34 PM
Go Ghent it's lit

CaB meets possible in all locations except Ghent or Aarhus I suspect.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 09, 2020, 05:25:01 PM
CaB meets possible in all locations except Ghent or Aarhus I suspect.

Definitely not meeting in your Aarhus...

paruses

Go Aarhus. Danes are great*. Plus I know it's right up north but has a good bird observatory and no-one uses the middle of Denmark so you can drive down to CPH in no time at all. Well jel.

*pun or no pun intended. Your choice.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: bgmnts on February 09, 2020, 04:56:25 PMThis plan has been in the pipes for ages I think. Someone posted on here exactly how it would be almost impossible to do, possibly something about the depth or state of the bed of water , can't remember.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 09, 2020, 04:56:39 PMWasn't this debunked last year due to the massive munitions dump off the coast of Scotland ?

Yup, here's what I scribbled last year (which took fucking ages to find as Google wasn't playing, in the end checked out the date Boris last mentioned this and looked at my posts from around then):

Yeah, this was all ripped apart the last time he mentioned it.  As has been said, this is just a distraction tactics from the news about the court ruling and Cummings' attempted data-snatch.

For the reasons that have been stated, the shortest route is completely impossible due to depth and Beaufort's Dyke (super-deep and full of explosives).

Having done it myself via ferry it really is amazing how short it is, but unfortunately the journey to get to that bit of Scotland is non-trivial (two hours plus by train & coach from Glasgow alone) so unless they also opened a high-speed road/railway to get there it'd be largely pointless anyway.

There are a couple of other routes but ultimately the only one that would make any economic sense at all would be Holyhead to Dublin... which is also the longest, thus unlikely to happen.  Would probably work best as a tunnel... still staggeringly deep though but the Japanese have apparently gone deeper.

The other issue is that Irish trains (such as they are) run to an entirely different gauge (5'3" instead of 4'8.5"), so through-running would be extremely difficult.

I'm sure I read about all this on a Railforums thread a couple of years ago, but the only one I can find now is this much older one (which links to older ones still), but it repeats many of the same arguments I remember reading before: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/united-kingdom-ireland-tunnel.77694/

(Click to expand this one.)

I think tunnels further south (e.g. Holyhead to Dublin, or maybe Whitehaven/Barrow-in-Furness - Isle of Man - County Down) are probably the only viable option.

Captain Z

No offence to Scotland or NI but who the fuck is going to use it anyway?

weekender

People who want to get away from Scotland or NI?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Captain Z on February 09, 2020, 07:45:50 PM
No offence to Scotland or NI but who the fuck is going to use it anyway?

Olde worlde smugglers

Buelligan

They use a condom up the arse Blods.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on February 09, 2020, 07:50:59 PM
They use a condom up the arse Blods.

Careful of those powerful munitions, friend

Buelligan