Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 12:00:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tom & Jerry 80th anniversary

Started by madhair60, February 10, 2020, 11:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Celebrating 80 years of Tom and not Jerry as he is a little cunt. Fuck him.

ajsmith2

If they did a live action remake starring Tom and Jerry from Parks and Rec I'd be on board: The other Jerry repeatedly getting his own back on the other Tom for years of bullying by subjecting him to a valedictory barrage of endless humiliating pranks. And since Aziz Ansari has been Metoed, it could be considered a form of public penance.

bgmnts

I like Jerry, as a rodent lover myself. Like seeing the big cat get humiliated by the little guy. I like Tom too though, proper double act.

Bad Ambassador

Jerry does something to Tom's tail so Tom screams into his girlfriend's face.

FredNurke

That William Hanna scream is one of the greatest sound effects in creation.

Bad Ambassador

They ought to use it instead of the Wilhelm scream. I want to see Indiana Jones shove a Nazi off a cliff, who then screams like Tom on the way down.

"Like a later Tom and Jerry, where the two of them could talk."

They must have been aliens, what with Jerry possessing the strength of a creature many times his mass and Tom being able to survive and recover quickly from injuries that should be fatal.

Tony Tony Tony

dissolute ocelot

The male characters in the Good Life were called Tom Good and Jerry Leadbetter. Simon and Garfunkel were formerly called Tom and Jerry. Basically, everybody must at some point be part of a double act called Tom and Jerry.

robhug

I thought it was cancelled many moons ago for blatant racism?

the

Have you noticed that the only fucking thing anyone's got to say about any comedy anymore is whether it's 'cancelled' or not

'Ooh suprisingly this 80 year old thing doesn't conform to the exact moral standards of February 10th 2020! Now I can get out of bothering with a meaningful perception of it because I'm pretending not to understand how time works and can really only mentally checklist things these days'

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: thecuriousorange on February 10, 2020, 12:50:25 PM

"Like a later Tom and Jerry, where the two of them could talk."

There's a new film out later this year. Tom can talk in this but no news on Jerry.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1361336/

gilbertharding

Ah... at the risk of sounding like Facebook clickbait... remember when things like Tom and Jerry shorts would be liberally, and apparently randomly scattered around the BBC schedules like... presumably to fill in gaps left because of all the American shows which were made with ad-breaks.

It was always a lucky dip though. Would it be a good Tom and Jerry, or would it be one of the weird ones with the disturbing be-bop soundtrack, or Tom talking.

One of my formative memories was the one where the escalating violence ends with full-scale nuclear apocalypse, and Tom's grim pronouncement at the end... not kid's stuff at all, really.

Petey Pate

One of the leaders of Hamas was apparently a big Tom and Jerry fan. The CIA also found a bunch of Tom and Jerry cartoons on Osama Bin Laden's computer.

None of this has any real significance other than demonstrating the wide appeal of well crafted slapstick comedy.

Petey Pate

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 10, 2020, 02:54:23 PM
Ah... at the risk of sounding like Facebook clickbait... remember when things like Tom and Jerry shorts would be liberally, and apparently randomly scattered around the BBC schedules like... presumably to fill in gaps left because of all the American shows which were made with ad-breaks.

I think TCM was still airing random cartoons as time fillers well into the 2000s, so that films would begin on the hour rather than at awkward time slots. The BBC's schedule had become too regimented for this practice by then. ITV used to do it as well, but they would usually air a Disney short rather than a classic MGM/WB cartoon.

non capisco

The worst was when the BBC hit you with a fucking Harman-Ising 'Happy Harmonies' cartoon. It's 1987. I want a cat and a mouse knocking seven bells out of each other, not some happy singing bees clenching their hands and bending their knees up and down.

gilbertharding

I have dim memories of the Cartoon Lottery sometimes turning up a doubtless award-winning piece of Hungarian abstract animation.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

gilbertharding

YES!

In the rubble of their house, with his head in an oven, the door of which slowly opened... "Don't you believe it..."

#edit# oh... nearly.

the

When I was a kid we had a View-Master, with a reel of Tom & Jerry (The Two Mouseketeers).

The mad thing about these of course is that they're stereoscopic photographs - so rather than drawings, the images are of physical models and sets they've built and posed. The viewed effect is strange and felt tangibly real for something based on a cartoon:

Petey Pate

Quote from: the on February 10, 2020, 03:51:21 PM
When I was a kid we had a View-Master, with a reel of Tom & Jerry (The Two Mouseketeers).

The mad thing about these of course is that they're stereoscopic photographs - so rather than drawings, the images are of physical models and sets they've built and posed. The viewed effect is strange and felt tangibly real for something based on a cartoon:

I've seen images from View-Masters with cartoon characters, but all from Hanna-Barbera's TV shows. I had no idea any existed of Tom and Jerry. It makes you wonder whether the visual style would work if it was used for CGI animation.

Blumf

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 10, 2020, 03:06:05 PM
One of the leaders of Hamas was apparently a big Tom and Jerry fan. The CIA also found a bunch of Tom and Jerry cartoons on Osama Bin Laden's computer.

Mammy Two Towers

thenoise

I like the one that ends with them both topping themselves on the railway track.

robhug

Quote from: the on February 10, 2020, 02:11:24 PM
Have you noticed that the only fucking thing anyone's got to say about any comedy anymore is whether it's 'cancelled' or not

'Ooh suprisingly this 80 year old thing doesn't conform to the exact moral standards of February 10th 2020! Now I can get out of bothering with a meaningful perception of it because I'm pretending not to understand how time works and can really only mentally checklist things these days'

I Couldn't agree more, its political correctness gone mad!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: thenoise on February 10, 2020, 04:44:50 PM
I like the one that ends with them both topping themselves on the railway track.

Hee,  that's the one where they both find out that the respective massively fit members of their species aren't interested in them, isn't it? Very cruel cartoon that, even Jerry feels sorry for Tom throughout it.

Quote from: gilbertharding on February 10, 2020, 02:54:23 PM

So that's why I remember them showing some Road Runner cartoon about half-nine at night in the late 70s, when I was aged nine but up later than usual for some reason.  At the time I was really surprised to see that shown so late.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Granada TV , also in the late 70s, used to show top Proto- " Simpsons" show " Wait Til Your Father Gets Home" at about 11:30 at night. Bit daft really, cos even though it *did* have a character based on the little old lady who said " Shithead" all the time in Norman Lear' s satirical film " Cold Turkey" ( 1971) ( the cartoon character didnt use that word), and had a paranoid next door neighbour going on about communists, it was essentially a kid's programme.

kngen

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on February 10, 2020, 01:49:53 PM
The male characters in the Good Life were called Tom Good and Jerry Leadbetter. Simon and Garfunkel were formerly called Tom and Jerry. Basically, everybody must at some point be part of a double act called Tom and Jerry.

Egan's Life in London, innit?

Quote from: FredNurke on February 10, 2020, 12:39:15 PM
That William Hanna scream is one of the greatest sound effects in creation.

I liked Tom's syncopated cry of pain - Ow-wow-ooh-hoo-hoo! - particularly in the one where he takes a shrinking potion (I think) and get progressively smaller each time Jerry hits him, with the aforementioned cry getting higher in pitch each time. Literally pissed myself laughing at that when I was 6 or 7.