Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:03:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

winning the lottery

Started by kittens, February 10, 2020, 03:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: bgmnts on February 15, 2020, 02:31:25 PM
Just spent 60 quid on the lottery instant win games. Pretty sure they're rigged to fuck.

Don't they all have to have the odds printed on the side of them by law?

I'm pretty sure that will have odds which mean in fact it is more likely than not you will continue losing money the more you spend.

Cerys

bgmnts

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 15, 2020, 04:13:42 PM
Don't they all have to have the odds printed on the side of them by law?

I'm pretty sure that will have odds which mean in fact it is more likely than not you will continue losing money the more you spend.

Nope.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Cerys on February 15, 2020, 02:30:15 PM
Why not one of each?

Got to Tommy's and had seven dollars in my wallet. Got two Powerball and a scratcher.

Off the scratcher I got a thousand
(little bits of scratcher dust)

bgmnts

Got three numbers today.

Where's my fucking money, lottery!?

Gurke and Hare

Trouble is, you have to get three numbers and buy the ticket.

Cerys

I won a free Lucky Dip last night!  Wealth awaits!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cerys on February 16, 2020, 09:06:57 AM
I won a free Lucky Dip last night!  Wealth awaits!

One of those apples may have a free maggot in

Cerys

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Cerys on February 16, 2020, 09:24:56 AM
Result!  Extra protein!

That maggot was your key to wealth, but you turned it into poo.

Cerys

Are you saying that poo can't be turned into gold?  Bah.  Illusions shattered.

Bazooka

Imagine working in a tombola ticket printing factory, bet there are some really saucy stories.  They say getting a number on the tombola releases the same amount of endorphins as an orgasm and heroin.

seepage

Quote from: Looper on February 14, 2020, 03:40:52 PM
I'm part of a lotto syndicate at work. One lad has picked the numbers from 1 to 7 and was asked why. He said "statistically it has as much chance of winning as anyone else". In theory he is right but he was still a bell end for choosing them.

As Ray Travez said, 1-7 has worse odds 'cos it's a sequence.

bgmnts

Yeah but why is 1234567 less likely than 1 9 28 45 53 18 etc etc?

Fucking probability

Ambient Sheep

It isn't, but you're much more likely to end up sharing your winnings with loads of other twats who've done the same thing.

kalowski

Quote from: seepage on February 16, 2020, 04:43:08 PM
As Ray Travez said, 1-7 has worse odds 'cos it's a sequence.
I don't know who Ray Travez is, but he's wrong.

seepage

What's the weird one where you guess which of three boxes a prize is in and you can pick again after the first box is opened? If it's empty, should you pick the box you didn't choose first? Yes, 'cos now the odds of winning are 1/2 whereas if you don't change your mind they're still 1/3???

Ambient Sheep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

One of the most counter-intuitive things ever.

EDIT: Didn't know this until now, but even celebrated mathematician Paul Erdős refused to believe it at first.

kalowski

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 16, 2020, 05:17:25 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

One of the most counter-intuitive things ever.
Until you realise that you are more likely to have picked a goat first time, so switching is the right thing to do

(or cabbage - whatever the bad prize is)

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: kalowski on February 16, 2020, 05:19:46 PMUntil you realise that you are more likely to have picked a goat first time, so switching is the right thing to do

Exactly... it's the host's knowledge that's important.

Consignia

The Monty Hall thing is easier to under stand when you deal with large numbers. If you have 100 doors to choose from, you pick one, and then get reduced to do two doors, with the option to swap. It's pretty clear you swap.

garbed_attic

Used to find it depressing (and further damaging to my corroded sense of self-respect) when I worked in Sainsbury's and you had elderly people buying their "Bingo tickets" who wouldn't even check to see if they had won because the whole process had become so automated for them in their twilight years.

Ray Travez

Quote from: kalowski on February 16, 2020, 05:05:20 PM
I don't know who Ray Travez is, but he's wrong.

I don't know who he is either, but I didn't say that. I said what Ambient Sheep says above; you're more likely to share the prize with a lot of people if you choose an obvious sequence of numbers.

Dex Sawash

Just checked, didn't get the 40 million off the Powerball. Was going to bung a million to kittens  and an ice cream sandwich to cerys if I had won.

bgmnts

Spent 130, won 60.

Lost 70 quid.

Fucksake.

imitationleather

bgmnts

March 14th.

Lots of baked beans in February.

Noonling

I reckon kittens actually works for the lottery people and this whole thread is a tissue of lies designed to get people to play the lottery.

Hope that helps :)

idunnosomename

what if i want goats and i already have a car

C_Larence

I'm often reminded that I'm just an ape with ideas above my station whenever I get a lucky dip ticket and instantly get annoyed that the numbers aren't good.