Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:36:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

winning the lottery

Started by kittens, February 10, 2020, 03:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Quote from: Dex Sawash on February 16, 2020, 06:34:14 PM
Just checked, didn't get the 40 million off the Powerball. Was going to bung a million to kittens  and an ice cream sandwich to cerys if I had won.

I missed out on an icecream sandwich?  Phooey.

bgmnts

Why is the lottery not included in the GAMstop self exclusion thing? I've spent £239 in 7 days apparently.

Ferris

Quote from: bgmnts on February 18, 2020, 01:18:58 PM
Why is the lottery not included in the GAMstop self exclusion thing? I've spent £239 in 7 days apparently.

Got to spend money to make money.

Ray Travez

Why are you spending so much on the lottery? Do you think you have a gambling problem?

imitationleather

Quote from: Ray Travez on February 18, 2020, 02:22:22 PM
Why are you spending so much on the lottery?

Because he's an elderly woman.

Seriously, though. Stop spending all your money on the lottery, dude.

shiftwork2

I've spent £239 in 7 days apparently.

I hope this is a joke.  If not then you don't need a lecture from me to tell you what to do - get into spread betting to recover those losses.  You could win big time.

bgmnts

249 now. Not even joking.

I'll win big soon though.

shiftwork2

Thanks now I feel like a twat.  I'd put the brakes on mate.

Danger Man

Quote from: bgmnts on February 18, 2020, 06:01:03 PM
249 now. Not even joking.

You'll be losing 12 grand a year if this keeps up. Though it's not about the actual money, it's about whether you can afford to lose that amount. I think you know deep down that you are going to have to stop before it gets out of hand. I did.

But before you stop you should go for over 4 goals in tonight's Atletico Madrid-Liverpool game. You can get over 13.5 on Betfair which is FREE MONEY.

shiftwork2

Yes I did make the same joke 4 posts above.

Danger Man

I know.

1-0

I've lost the lot.

Mother is in a cardboard box in an unmarked grave.

No change there, then.

Sebastian Cobb

Only time I bought a lottery ticket was 'cos it had a free trip to the cinema as a promo and £2 is less than ~£10.

I did once win £40 in a bookies after sticking a bet on a random horse because I felt guilty about just going in there for a shit. How's that for karma?

shiftwork2

^ You know there's a thrifty plan in some Northern towns (Nottingham probably qualifies through a lack of identity clause) whereby you can rent a coffin but actually cremate a rellie in a cardboard box?  Worth a look.  It's good for the environment.

Danger Man

NOTHING BUT THE BEST FOR MY MUM

Gurke and Hare

Premium bonds is where it's at. All the thrill and headrush of one monthly draw, and you can get your stake back whenever you like.

imitationleather

The only gambling I approve of is the Poppy Lottery, and that's because it raises money for good causes such as poppy transfers to iron on football shirts and premium servicings for bugles so they can play The Last Post before kick off.

garbed_attic

If I won the lottery I'd spend it on ghost trains and climate change mitigation and ghost trains that somehow involved and/or dramatised climate change mitigation.

Annie Labuntur

YES!

Just texted my ex and now waiting for them to come crawling back.

No point in hanging around here any more either.  BYE LOSERS.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 18, 2020, 10:18:59 PM

I did once win £40 in a bookies after sticking a bet on a random horse because I felt guilty about just going in there for a shit. How's that for karma?

Bookies have toilets? This changes everything.

Buelligan

I know an old poor guy, on a small pension, he spends 20€ a week on tickets.  He always tells me when he's had a win, 4€ one week, 12€ another and I congratulate him cheerily.  Then he glares at me like I'm an idiot woman and tells me that that's not a win, winning would be getting back more than the stake.  I always say yeah, hadn't thought about it that way.  And he looks at me with a look that says at least I'm not an imbecile like you, at least I can comprehend what a win is.  And I take it on the chin, every, every, time, like a sport.  It's my little gift to him.

wooders1978

Well done Annie! Can't believe I can know tell people I sort of know someone who's won it

On a more serious note - do you know or have even heard of someone locally who has won it, or even a decent amount?
Closest person I know is a bloke I went to school with won 250k but I don't even know if that was the national lottery or not as I don't know him that well anymore - he just put that he'd won it in facebook a few years ago but didn't state how

It's suspicious us it not? Apparently someone definitely gets a million quid twice a week in the uk "guaranteed" for playing euromillions and that has been going for ages - never heard of anyone getting a million quid from it

Quote from: wooders1978 on August 30, 2020, 08:03:05 AM

On a more serious note - do you know or have even heard of someone locally who has won it, or even a decent amount?

A long time ago a friend of mine died in a car crash in his late teens, a couple of years later his parents won just over 4 million.

It's a bitter-sweet world.

pigamus

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on February 11, 2020, 09:47:16 AM
Lotteries are a symptom of a sick society and a weak mind. You are mental midgets contributing to the problem if you take part. Buying lottery tickets is directly comparable to paying £1 for a 3% chance to win a tenner. You don't understand maths. But the prize is so big! And to counter that, there are so many poor losers. I genuinely believe they are a scam and should be banned.

A lot of people think it's a tax on the stupid. But if you think of the number of people who've won a lot of money since it started, they weren't stupid to buy a ticket, were they?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes, stupid people can be lucky.

Buelligan

Quote from: pigamus on August 30, 2020, 09:39:40 AM
A lot of people think it's a tax on the stupid. But if you think of the number of people who've won a lot of money since it started, they weren't stupid to buy a ticket, were they?

If you think about the number of people knocked down whilst using a zebra crossing, were they stupid?

pigamus

Quote from: Buelligan on August 30, 2020, 09:49:00 AM
If you think about the number of people knocked down whilst using a zebra crossing, were they stupid?

If...what?

Bernice

If you call your bank they can block you from making payments to any gambling outfits, lottery included.

Quote from: pigamus on August 30, 2020, 09:39:40 AM

I think the statistical/logical argument is also misplaced though, because the point of buying a lottery ticket is not that it's a sound investment, it's that it is literally the only possible opportunity for many people to become rich (or even just to ascend out of poverty).

The Mollusk

Quote from: Annie Labuntur on August 30, 2020, 01:02:03 AM
YES!

Just texted my ex and now waiting for them to come crawling back.

No point in hanging around here any more either.  BYE LOSERS.

bye

Shit Good Nose

I won a whopping £2(*) on Friday - FUCK YES I WON!!!!!!!!!!!

(* - on a £5 scratch card)