Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,188
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:06:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Deporting people from abroad convicted of crimes - where is the logic?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, February 10, 2020, 05:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sin Agog on February 14, 2020, 01:41:56 PM
What's it to you what happens to Mr. Crawford?  Him being kicked out of England won't stop you being a louse who thinks he's a Soprano but is actually a gammon faced goose egg who couldn't get a rise out of a yeast factory because you're just too mild-mannered.

Fixed

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 14, 2020, 01:35:15 PM
I'm on the fence with the broader issue of deportation of "proper foreign criminals" (like a Russian people trafficker based in the UK, for obvious example), but I've seen interviews with three people who were among those deported to Jamaica and...well, they're fucking British.  English even - London and Northern accents.  One of them even said his ancestry is South African and he has no family or friends in any part of the Caribbean.  So what's the deal there? 
"
Was he a citizen of one of those Caribbean countries? Why would they deport someone to a place they'd never lived?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 14, 2020, 01:56:44 PM
"
Was he a citizen of one of those Caribbean countries? Why would they deport someone to a place they'd never lived?

Exactly why I'm asking the question!

He could've been bullshitting I suppose - they didn't actually cover what any of their crimes were.  They could all have been child murderers for all I know.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on February 14, 2020, 02:00:36 PM
Exactly why I'm asking the question!

He could've been bullshitting I suppose - they didn't actually cover what any of their crimes were.  They could all have been child murderers for all I know.
I'm sorry, I assumed you knew more about it. I was about to dismiss it with a "peculiar, innit?" but that seems excessively light-hearted when it's peoples' lives we're talking about.

I don't think immigrants should suffer any more than the average Brit if they commit a crime. But.

evilcommiedictator

The point being surely in out wonderful* Liberal* world, governments maintain the right on who comes in - specifically via the visa system. Now, breaking the rules in that system is punished in varying degrees (Waves to the wife of the US diplomat who fled the country after murdering someone with their car), but the ultimate outcome is that the government of the day decides on how to enforce this - in Australia, for example, we just had a ruling on the Government trying to deport Aboriginal Australians (who had one Aboriginal parent but born in NZ/PNG), and in the current "mashing the racism button" world, a nice two minute news story on how the brave government is defending you from horrible foren criminals is easy.
Plus, they're taking jobs from local criminals and small business-dealers, just trying to make a dime.
(I imagine there's some stats on recidivism too, but when your prison system isn't aimed towards rehabilitation anyway....)